Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 12, 2018, 22:56   #11
Jesus of Gondor
Rookie

Jesus of Gondor is on a distinguished road
Wow! so it's a good idea to bring it to the Fight with Sauron just in case? (even if i'm a ranger?) i'm about to enter a HUUUUUUUGE vault with very nasty uniques inside xd here they are:

-Durin's Bane or the Balrog of Moria
-Lungorthin the white flame
-Glaurung father of dragons
-Itangast the fire drake
-Carcharoth the jaws of thirst

Itangast is a pushover i know... he's on my death list. but i don't like the presence of the other guys... Glaurung and the two Balrogs are very annoying because of their summons. And carcharoth.. geez. never fought him before but i don't like him either 'cause of his breaths.

besides there is an archlich, beholder hive mother and lots of mayor demons in the vicinity u.u (Halion is a very brave Noldo, but this sure is a challenge)

And... for making things worst.. i just have only 1 scroll of mass banishment xdxdxdd.

Anyway.. i guess i'll wait of your wise words before entering that one big dangerous vault but with lots.. and i mean LOTS! of treasure. (i'm hoping to find Ringil or something that boosts my speed). Here's my dump http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22068

Thank you!
Jesus of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018, 23:15   #12
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
So, with vaults, the object is to get the treasure, not to risk life and limb trying to see how many dangerous uniques you can kill. Given that you have 305SP and three rods of TO I would TO all the really dangerous monsters with the TO method that has the least amount of fail rate (which would probably be from the book). Also, you will want to haste yourself before you TO the dangerous monsters, so that in the event of TO failure, the chance something horrible (like death) occurs is mitigated significantly.

EDIT: one thing to remember is that as soon as you have TO'd a dangerous monster, you've basically removed self teleportation as a safe method of escape. The more dangerous monsters you TO, the greater the danger of self Teleport is because it more often than not teleports you into the same room as the TO'd monsters, which are now awake and angry at you for being a coward. So after you've TO'd 7 dangers monsters; you gonna die when you TS away from a pack of plasma hounds in the vault.

A screenshot of the vault would be helpful, but my guess is it's a cubby vault (the best kind). But, yeah, describe the vault or take a screenshot and upload it here.

If you use the mass banishment, just makes sure you have a lot of health when you do it (like at least 400 or so). I finally had my first death from reading a scroll of banishment a little while ago. Personally, unless there are tons of Aether hounds or Time or plasma hounds, or lots of object destroyers in the vault, I don't banish because I often get good drops from all the monsters in the vault.
Old November 12, 2018, 23:44   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yep. Note that as well as haste self, you shoild cast Resistance before you TO everything. The density of monsters means that you are at a disadvantage fighting them, unless they are all locked in different rooms.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018, 00:27   #14
Jesus of Gondor
Rookie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
So, with vaults, the object is to get the treasure, not to risk life and limb trying to see how many dangerous uniques you can kill. Given that you have 305SP and three rods of TO I would TO all the really dangerous monsters with the TO method that has the least amount of fail rate (which would probably be from the book). Also, you will want to haste yourself before you TO the dangerous monsters, so that in the event of TO failure, the chance something horrible (like death) occurs is mitigated significantly.

EDIT: one thing to remember is that as soon as you have TO'd a dangerous monster, you've basically removed self teleportation as a safe method of escape. The more dangerous monsters you TO, the greater the danger of self Teleport is because it more often than not teleports you into the same room as the TO'd monsters, which are now awake and angry at you for being a coward. So after you've TO'd 7 dangers monsters; you gonna die when you TS away from a pack of plasma hounds in the vault.

A screenshot of the vault would be helpful, but my guess is it's a cubby vault (the best kind). But, yeah, describe the vault or take a screenshot and upload it here.

If you use the mass banishment, just makes sure you have a lot of health when you do it (like at least 400 or so). I finally had my first death from reading a scroll of banishment a little while ago. Personally, unless there are tons of Aether hounds or Time or plasma hounds, or lots of object destroyers in the vault, I don't banish because I often get good drops from all the monsters in the vault.

Okay pal, here are your screenshots Thank you very much for your support!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First take.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Second take.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	1674   Click image for larger version

Name:	third take.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1675  
Old November 13, 2018, 00:29   #15
Jesus of Gondor
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Yep. Note that as well as haste self, you shoild cast Resistance before you TO everything. The density of monsters means that you are at a disadvantage fighting them, unless they are all locked in different rooms.
Yeah... there's a whole bunch of em... it looks like hell. But shit we are in ANGBAND! XDDD check the screenshots so you can appreciate what i see
Old November 13, 2018, 00:37   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Ooh, diagonal vault. There will be great loot. Stand at the entrance, and let the monsters come to you. Fight them or TO them depending on strength. You will get plenty of free tries to TO dangerous monsters because you have them on an extended knight's move.

Also: you need more CON, desperately. You are wearing essentially no +CON equipment, which is crazy.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018, 00:46   #17
Jesus of Gondor
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Ooh, diagonal vault. There will be great loot. Stand at the entrance, and let the monsters come to you. Fight them or TO them depending on strength. You will get plenty of free tries to TO dangerous monsters because you have them on an extended knight's move.

Also: you need more CON, desperately. You are wearing essentially no +CON equipment, which is crazy.

Oh shit xD well... yeah my bad about the CON. but hell let's just hope for the best. I feel pretty safe with all the advice you guys gave me. specially you Pete! (y) i will take this vault on and show you a new dump! it's a promise!

PD: Yeah man. i'm crazy... but you only live once XDDDDDDDDD (YOLO)
Old November 13, 2018, 02:01   #18
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I would wear Caspanion for the con. Sure, you give up rchaos which is annoying if you get hallucinated, but the +3 con is a worthy trade off. The increases AC doesn’t hurt either.
Old November 13, 2018, 03:32   #19
Jesus of Gondor
Rookie

OK guys! i'm back! and with awesome awesome news!!!! THAT VAULT WAS AMAZING!!! there were a lot of ACTION in that place! lot of murder! AND most importanly! with GREAAAAT i mean. GREAAAAT loot!!!

As i promised! here's the update of the Mighty Halion! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22068
Check him guys and tell me what you think!

I have to say it was a very tough fight.. but it was very epic... full of emotions, I killed Itangast, Saruman, Durin's Bane AND! Glaurung!! that last guy gave me a lot of trouble with his summons... Thank God for the glyphs of warding, resistance and haste self! that guy was summoning and breathing fire like crazy, creating lava in the process (ugh) luckily before i faced him i found a beatiful Blade of Chaos of Gondolin that gave me 5 blows and 500 damage against dragons. (yeah smite dragons.. powerfully) he was spitting me fire like crazy, chugging CCW and the few healing potions i had, i managed to get him stuck behind a glyph, shooting him down with amrod and then! NO AMMO!!! , i was getting starting to despair because i had nowhere to go (TS wasn't a option 'cause i TO a bunch of nasty monsters).

So i only had one option. Meleeing.

With all the shots he received he was more than half dead, but still very dangerous and the glyphs of warding were breaking before me. He strided to me with an all to familar intent (heh) so i sheathe Aglarang and pull out my Blade of Chaos. *sigh* i was in glyph when i had him face to face, i started to hack n slash him, clawing me, biting me, spitting fire to me, Halion was getting out of CCW and the healing potions were done for, all beated up with just 326HP, but he was also 10% dead. then it showed up "Glaurung flees in terror"

Halion said "You can suck my blade. Bitch of Dragons"

When he was fleeing he summoned a Death Drake *giggles*, i ignored him, stabbed Glaurung's head with my demonic Sword. And that was the end of the beast.

Killed the death drake in 3-4 rounds i don't remember.. and the rest of the vault was easy

Thank you for your support. This fight it's not over yet. i will be updating for you guys!

"Aurë Entuluva!"