Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 5, 2015, 22:46   #31
Bimbul
Adept

Bimbul is on a distinguished road
Interesting.

I just entered DL6 and immediately found a green dragon scale mail.

I'll be interested to see what the level feeling says when it comes...

(Oh and an amulet of wisdom - as a priest this is nice )

[edit] - Superb treasures - I suppose that's accurate on this occasion )
Bimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015, 00:58   #32
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Which makes me wonder: is the level feeling calculated based on the content of the level at the time when mr. @ enters it, or at the time when it appears on the screen? Which of the two is the best option?
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015, 15:28   #33
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
I like level feelings as they currently are and do not wish them to change. The only request I would make would be the ability to toggle on/off the inclusion of spellbooks in the calculations.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015, 20:32   #34
Rowan
Adept

Rowan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
I like level feelings as they currently are and do not wish them to change. The only request I would make would be the ability to toggle on/off the inclusion of spellbooks in the calculations.
Hahaha yes. I'm tired of clearing a level with a great level feeling and finding nothing but Scarabtarices.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015, 20:35   #35
Bimbul
Adept

Bimbul is on a distinguished road
Naah, although I posted that it was an irony sometimes - so what - the scarabtarice is a good thing- not the games fault that a great lunk of a half-troll warrior came lumbering through
It adds to the flavour

As to toggling - a mage could say the same thing - a dwarven ribbed plate armour is not a good thing - same thing other way around.

Incidentally, you can toggle ignore on spellbooks in the preferences - would this affect level feelings? You could potentiall find - say Scarabtarices - and toggle ignore - then next time you come across it, it would be ignored, scour a 'good' level and find nothing at all - now *that* would be frustrating.
Bimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015, 20:42   #36
Rowan
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbul View Post
Scarabtarices - and toggle ignore - then next time you come across it, it would be ignored, scour a 'good' level and find nothing at all - now *that* would be frustrating.
That's exactly what I mean, haha. Great level feeling, spend a couple hours clearing the whole level, find nothing, toggle ignore........ Scarabtarices. >o<
Old November 6, 2015, 21:06   #37
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Ignored items are not ignored for purposes of the calculation of level feelings. I don't agree that items should be selectively toggled to exclude them from the calculation of level feelings. If you get a level with an 8 or 9 treasure feeling, you should be asking, "Why is @ getting that feeling?" You should do likewise if you get a monster level feeling of Omens of Death. Sometimes a dangerous feeling is triggered by monsters that @ can take, sometimes not. Sometimes the treasure feeling is awesome, but for treasures irrelevant to @, sometimes they are quite fabulous. The point is not to take the level feelings at face value.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2015, 13:57   #38
Rowan
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Sometimes the treasure feeling is awesome, but for treasures irrelevant to @, sometimes they are quite fabulous. The point is not to take the level feelings at face value.
You're probably right And it's not very common for a great treasure feeling to be only because of one irrelevant item. So it really just causes occasional disappointment rather than spoiling the game in any way.
Old November 8, 2015, 17:46   #39
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
You're probably right And it's not very common for a great treasure feeling to be only because of one irrelevant item. So it really just causes occasional disappointment rather than spoiling the game in any way.
I just use feelings at face value: that there are OOD monsters/objects on the level. What I do with it, depends on how I'm "feeling" at the time and what I'm doing.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2015, 18:30   #40
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Ignored items are not ignored for purposes of the calculation of level feelings. I don't agree that items should be selectively toggled to exclude them from the calculation of level feelings.
Maybe spellbook boosts to that level should be reduced though. If it is mage book then it is worthless for warriors, priests and paladins, and depending of the type probably also for rogue. If it is priest book then it is worthless for warriors, mages, rangers and rogues.

That means that whenever "great" feeling is caused by a spellbook it is quite likely that that is a wrong alarm.

Also if you already have that book it is also likely to be worthless. They are not like RoS or ego-item which change from find to find and there is a probability that it could be better than what you already have.

In short: spellbook value (in terms of level feeling) is quite low.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote