Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 13, 2013, 20:49   #1
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
3.5-dev crash on chaos breath

Just had an unfortunate occurrence. I just got finished killing Ancalagon. After he was dead I was cleaning up some of the mess that he summoned, and a great wyrm of balance breathed chaos on me. As soon as I saw the message that he breathed chaos, angband crashed. Looks like I'll be doing that fight over again.

It might be important to note that although I've had chaos breathed on me before this game, it's possible that might be the first chaos breath I've had hit me while I was actually wearing resist chaos. Perhaps that has something to do with it?
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 21:03   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
For the record, I had a crash while using a Wand of Wonder. It's possible that the two crashes are related. However, the only effect they share IIRC is polymorph, and I've successfully polymorphed monsters with the Wand of Wonder effect.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 21:33   #3
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
For the record, I had a crash while using a Wand of Wonder. It's possible that the two crashes are related. However, the only effect they share IIRC is polymorph, and I've successfully polymorphed monsters with the Wand of Wonder effect.
hmm, we did have a polymorph crash a while back, but I though that got fixed. Maybe it only triggers when it attempts to polymorph an un-polymorphable monster?
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 21:41   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
hmm, we did have a polymorph crash a while back, but I though that got fixed. Maybe it only triggers when it attempts to polymorph an un-polymorphable monster?
My crash was when I was standing in a corridor with a bunch of orcs; I aimed at Golfimbul but one of the lesser orcs in the way (cave orcs and orc shamans, IIRC) would have taken any polymorph attacks.

My successful polymorph was against a cave spider, FWIW.
Old May 13, 2013, 22:16   #5
Raajaton
Swordsman

I think the issue may be related to the chaos effect on monsters. I just encountered some chaos hounds inside a vault. First breath hit me while no other monsters where next to me and everything was fine. Next breath happened while there was some other type of mob close enough to me to be affected by the splash and then the game crashed.
Old May 13, 2013, 22:36   #6
Raajaton
Swordsman

Another random crash, this time unrelated to chaos or any status effect as far as I can tell. Also in a vault - as soon as I got the killing blow on a Cyclops the game crashed. Fortunately I've made a habit of habitually hitting ctrl s so I shouldn't have to redo much.
Old May 13, 2013, 22:43   #7
Derakon
Prophet

If you can replicate the crash reliably (e.g. "load save, move five steps to the left and cast Rift at the Skull Druj"), that would be very helpful. I wasn't able to replicate with the Wand of Wonder, unfortunately; my last save was too far in the past.
Old May 13, 2013, 22:46   #8
Raajaton
Swordsman

Sure, next time I encounter any chaos breathers I'll make another save and try to recreate it. If I can get it to happen a few times under the same circumstances I can make a video, or just send you my save file if you prefer.

Also it may be important to note that I am currently playing on the May 2nd nightly. Hadn't checked for updates recently, and there have apparently been several.
Old May 13, 2013, 23:32   #9
Raajaton
Swordsman

Ok I now have a save file that will crash every time. It is once again unrelated to both of the other crashes I mentioned (chaos breathers, and killing blow on cyclops).

In this particular crash there is a small room containing some blink dogs and a Patriarch. Every time I go into the room and kill 1 or 2 blink dogs, the game crashes. FYI, all the cyclops crash and one of my chaos breath crashes also occurred on this very level, although the chaos breath crash has also happened to me on a previous level as well.

Should I just upload my save file here so you can see?
Old May 13, 2013, 23:41   #10
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajaton View Post
Ok I now have a save file that will crash every time. It is once again unrelated to both of the other crashes I mentioned (chaos breathers, and killing blow on cyclops).

In this particular crash there is a small room containing some blink dogs and a Patriarch. Every time I go into the room and kill 1 or 2 blink dogs, the game crashes. FYI, all the cyclops crash and one of my chaos breath crashes also occurred on this very level, although the chaos breath crash has also happened to me on a previous level as well.

Should I just upload my save file here so you can see?
I'd be very surprised if all these new crashes weren't linked. Please do upload if the forum will let you.