Nick is on a distinguished road
Oops, also forgot - Saruman and Sauron are now Ainur
Old January 12, 2019, 05:52   #42
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
[*]Greater balrogs buffed and moved deeper, and they and the deep balrog uniques get the ability to tunnel
This is terrifying. So a Demon Pit at depth will generate what, 20 or more wall tunneling, very dangerous monsters. That seems far too dangerous. Furthermore, the three Balrog uniques often appear together (the "friends" code). That also seems completely overboard to have all of them zeroing in on @ right through the walls.

Quote:
I have started looking at spiders, and it seems to me that they are a microcosm of what needs attention in the current monster list. Fifteen non-unique spiders, 12 of them appearing by dungeon level 26, and many of them utterly forgettable. Expect big changes here
Hooray! Children of Ungoliant from FAAngband. Hopefully you will also be adding the "Web" terrain from FAAngband as part of your spider rewrite.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019, 06:56   #43
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
This is terrifying. So a Demon Pit at depth will generate what, 20 or more wall tunneling, very dangerous monsters. That seems far too dangerous. Furthermore, the three Balrog uniques often appear together (the "friends" code). That also seems completely overboard to have all of them zeroing in on @ right through the walls.
Possibly - we can see how it plays. Any of these changes can be reverted or adjusted as needed.

Quote:
Hooray! Children of Ungoliant from FAAngband. Hopefully you will also be adding the "Web" terrain from FAAngband as part of your spider rewrite.
Something along the lines of the Children of Ungoliant will probably make it in, but there are other things to do with spiders too. And yes, there probably should be webs, but probably implemented in the trap layer (which currently contains traps, door locks, decoys and glyphs of warding).
Old January 12, 2019, 22:58   #44
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Note that the monster.txt copied and renamed to lore.txt no longer works. That may be intentional? Given all the changes, I want to play through with the unknowns for awhile, but after several games, that will get old.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019, 23:46   #45
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Note that the monster.txt copied and renamed to lore.txt no longer works. That may be intentional? Given all the changes, I want to play through with the unknowns for awhile, but after several games, that will get old.
No, not intentional, thanks for pointing it out. I have added extra types of info into monster.txt without adjusting the lore reading and writing sufficiently.

EDIT: Maybe. Do you know if the problem occurred from first build of feature/monster, or only later?

EDIT2: No worries, found the problem, will be fixed in the next build.

Last edited by Nick; January 13, 2019 at 00:21. Reason: Aha!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019, 02:13   #46
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Latest builds for Windows and macOS now up on the builds page (source is here) with the following changes:
  • Allow monster.txt to be copied to lore.txt for full monster memory (this had been broken)
  • Rework spiders:
    • Spider webs can now be woven by some spiders. They take a turn to clear if you walk into one, also a turn to clear for most monsters, although some (insects etc) just get stuck in them
    • Driders and brown ticks removed
    • Scorpions nastier (especially black, formerly grey)
    • Araneas and elder araneas replaced by abyss spiders (from O) and ancient spiders (idea from Sil)
    • Added spiders of Gorgoroth, which are similar to Shelob but deeper (a bit like children of Ungoliant in FA)
    • Mirkwood spiders and phase spiders moved deeper because of buffing (webs and teleport to respectively)

I'm pretty happy with this generally, but webs may be a bit OP - interested to hear comments. At some point I plan to introduce Slay Spider; the obvious artifacts will get it (Sting, Gothmog) and maybe some egos.

A couple of general comments about the progress of this branch:
  • It's gone much faster than I expected
  • But that's mainly because I've been on holiday, which stops tomorrow
  • I'm inclined fairly soon (a week or two) to just pull it into master and continue development there - if anyone can see a problem with that, let me know.

More generally, please do give feedback on any aspect of this branch; so far the lack of negative feedback is encouraging me to be creative, which is something of a double-edged sword
Old January 13, 2019, 03:35   #47
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Phase Spiders now sound like reskinned Blink Dogs. I'm also a little sad that we're losing driders and both kinds of aranea, which means there's no proper "magical spider" aside from Phase Spiders who are kind of one-trick ponies. What was the reason for their removal?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019, 12:40   #48
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Phase Spiders now sound like reskinned Blink Dogs. I'm also a little sad that we're losing driders and both kinds of aranea, which means there's no proper "magical spider" aside from Phase Spiders who are kind of one-trick ponies. What was the reason for their removal?
Phase spiders were already reskinned blink dogs Adding the extra spell actually makes them different, unless I give it to blink dogs as well...

Driders and araneas are pure D&D monsters; I'm not planning a crusade against D&D dark elves, but mixing a spider with one seems like the most non-thematic thing possible. I feel like there are plenty of spellcasters, and Tolkienian spiders are brutal and aggressive, but not magical. That said, the >DL30 spiders do have spells, but they are more things like slowing, paralyzing, etc rather than fire bolts.
Old January 13, 2019, 16:59   #49
Voovus
Apprentice

Voovus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
More generally, please do give feedback on any aspect of this branch; so far the lack of negative feedback is encouraging me to be creative, which is something of a double-edged sword
Ok, some general, highly subjective feedback here. I'm happy with most of the technical gameplay changes and with the additions - fewer spellbooks, introduction of totally new spells / classes, tweaks to old spells. Many need fine-tuning (shapeshifting, stealing, several spells), but otherwise seem good. Not convinced with the change to shooting, but haven't played with it much since the change. I'm less ok with changes that make the game look less like Moria. There haven't been many of these, the main one being the change to the Mage: I wouldn't mind if the effects of the Mage's spells had been fiddled with, but because the spell list has been totally redone I now find that the classical character from my childhood has simply evaporated, and I will never be able to play the old character again *sob*. Haven't had time to try out the new monsters.
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019, 20:53   #50
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voovus View Post
I'm less ok with changes that make the game look less like Moria. There haven't been many of these, the main one being the change to the Mage: I wouldn't mind if the effects of the Mage's spells had been fiddled with, but because the spell list has been totally redone I now find that the classical character from my childhood has simply evaporated, and I will never be able to play the old character again *sob*.
You'll note that there is also an old_class.txt shipped with the game, which is like it says on the tin.