AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 20, 2015, 03:29   #171
hjklyubn
Rookie

hjklyubn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I just keep a mental note of which town has a 30000 gp weapon or armour shop & dump egos in the home till I visit. I too tend to operate out of Morivant but it's realistically only 1000 gp to teleport to another town then teleport back & gives you a chance to check the black market in another town.
I really wish the selling limits were the same at least in every town per game and type of store, but preferably just the same for all stores in all games (say 20000). The routine of go to sell item -> oops it's over the selling cap in this town -> teleport to the best town to sell item is totally uninteresting, and poschengband does give you enough ways to spend large amounts of money late in the game that the amount of money you get from selling things does (at least seem to) matter.
hjklyubn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015, 12:57   #172
Regalia
Apprentice

Regalia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just keep a mental note of which town has a 30000 gp weapon or armour shop & dump egos in the home till I visit.
Granted, but you don't get a guaranteed 30k shop in any of the 3 main cities (Angwil is a pain to navigate, so I don't even count the shops there). Or 25k, or 20k, or even 15k. And midgame, when you get a bag full of egos in <5 mins, time spent on town switching adds up fast.

My point is, it's mildly boring and little past that.

Sure, you can always get 30k shops in Outpost (keep restarting until it does) but their customer service gets one star out of five (no recharge, no restoration, no mass id, no *id*).

Quote:
Re buyout, I've seen the shop owner change before in Poscheng, unsure whether the max. gold changed.
Afair, gold is tied to the owner, so if they changed, then gold likely changed as well.

Edit: seems like the chance is 1/21 atm. Just make sure you don't start buying out the moment you sold a Death Scythe.

Last edited by Regalia; June 20, 2015 at 13:03.
Regalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015, 17:27   #173
Number Thirteen
Scout

Number Thirteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold_Heart View Post
Try to munch on a wand or a staff. Some are yummy!
Thanks for the information.

So what does absorbing a weapon do? I completed the Thieves Quest and received a long sword reward. I read that absorbing it without IDing it might have some benefit.

Before the adsorb I was a broken sword +3 +5 and after the absorb I was the same.

What exactly does absorbing weapons do as a Death Sword?
Number Thirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015, 20:14   #174
Regalia
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number Thirteen View Post
What exactly does absorbing weapons do as a Death Sword?
You gain "essences" of (most) effects the weapon had/gave. For example, if it gave acid resistance, you gain an acid resistance essence. Gain enough essences of the same type and you get the effect yourself.

If an effect can normally be gained more than once for additional power, then you also can do that by gaining more essences. It is nonlinear though (and sadly, in the bad sense) and for some abilities it also depends on your current evolution (so you can lose an effect when you evolve).

You can gain a lot of things this way: stats, ac, speed, resistances, brands... sadly, you can never get time resistance (there are not enough fixedarts and no ego/randart swords give that particular resistance).
Old June 21, 2015, 20:22   #175
Number Thirteen
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalia View Post
You gain "essences" of (most) effects the weapon had/gave. For example, if it gave acid resistance, you gain an acid resistance essence. Gain enough essences of the same type and you get the effect yourself.

If an effect can normally be gained more than once for additional power, then you also can do that by gaining more essences. It is nonlinear though (and sadly, in the bad sense) and for some abilities it also depends on your current evolution (so you can lose an effect when you evolve).

You can gain a lot of things this way: stats, ac, speed, resistances, brands... sadly, you can never get time resistance (there are not enough fixedarts and no ego/randart swords give that particular resistance).
So what would, say, a longsword +2 +2 give me? A change to gain attack and damage role? Or would it be better off to sell this item? What about the average +0 club I just found, should I sell/drop it since it's not worth absorbing?

Basically are only ego weapons worth absorbing?

Also is it possible to see this essence?
Old June 21, 2015, 21:20   #176
Regalia
Apprentice

Quote:
So what would, say, a longsword +2 +2 give me?
It would give you to hit and to dmg essences. Depending on how many you have already, it might raise your actual to hit and to dmg.

Absorb all weapons. Set autodestroyer to absorb all weapons on pickup if you're lazy. It's not worth the time to differentiate between what you'll absorb and what you'll sell. Just absorb all.

A single exception might be with weapons that resist disenchantment, you might want to keep those and use them up all at once. Why? Because disenchantment is devastating for death-swords (and afair you need a triple! resistance to be immune to the effect).

Quote:
Also is it possible to see this essence?
Yes, somewhere in the info screens (press ~ then some numbers or space if you will).

Edit: cleanup.
Old June 21, 2015, 23:46   #177
Number Thirteen
Scout

Quote:
It would give you to hit and to dmg essences. Depending on how many you have already, it might raise your actual to hit and to dmg.

Absorb all weapons. Set autodestroyer to absorb all weapons on pickup if you're lazy. It's not worth the time to differentiate between what you'll absorb and what you'll sell. Just absorb all.

A single exception might be with weapons that resist disenchantment, you might want to keep those and use them up all at once. Why? Because disenchantment is devastating for death-swords (and afair you need a triple! resistance to be immune to the effect).

Yes, somewhere in the info screens (press ~ then some numbers or space if you will).

Edit: cleanup.
Thanks for the good information.

Why save up the disenchant resist weapons? Wouldn't you want to absorb them in order to build up essence? Or does saving them up and absorbing them all at once give you more essence and hence more change to get better resist?
Old June 22, 2015, 00:30   #178
Regalia
Apprentice

Quote:
Thanks for the good information.

Why save up the disenchant resist weapons? Wouldn't you want to absorb them in order to build up essence? Or does saving them up and absorbing them all at once give you more essence and hence more change to get better resist?
Because getting hit by disenchantment steals your essences. Amongst other, it can steal those responsible for disenchantment resistance. If you absorb enough of them to get triple resDis all at once... well, no risk to lose them on items lying at home.
Old June 22, 2015, 01:11   #179
Number Thirteen
Scout

Quote:
Because getting hit by disenchantment steals your essences. Amongst other, it can steal those responsible for disenchantment resistance. If you absorb enough of them to get triple resDis all at once... well, no risk to lose them on items lying at home.
Very good tip. Thanks for the assistance.
Old June 27, 2015, 18:38   #180
Number Thirteen
Scout

Another few questions, this time about archers. What does the (7/8) after enchantment mean on ammo?

16 arrows (1d4) (+0, +0) (7/8)

What is the difference between archers and snipers? I'm assuming archers get more attacks while snipers get fewer, harder hitting attacks. Are their ranges different? Can snipers create ammo?

Speaking of creating ammo how do you create arrows? I can make shots out of rubble but now arrows. Is there some way to create extra arrows in the dungeon reliably?