Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old January 28, 2016, 13:27   #11
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Question: What does making angband ANSI compliant mean? I have done some simple cleanup. I'd like to get this over with, and submit it back to github if at all possible.

In a fresh angband master clone I have:
* got rid of my_str* functions and replaced with the standard where possible, or renamed them otherwise.
* Checked that the return codes from the "real" functions are treated properly. (One of the my_str* functions returned int where it should really return character pointer.)
* Removed all the #if standard C code from headers.
* Removed special declarations of MAX_SHORT, MAX_UCHAR.
* Changed BOOL, TRUE, FALSE to bool, true, false
* added <stdbool.h> and <stdint.h> unconditionally.

Other possible steps:
* Use "official" c types, and replace u32b with uint32_t, etc.
* Use htonl <arpa/inet.h> or <ws32.h> type stuff in the save file instead of home grown functions in savefile.c
Some thoughts on this:

It's a mistake to replace my_strcat and my_strcpy with strncat and strncpy, since they do different things. The Angband functions are versions of the BSD strlcat and strlcpy, and just replacing them will introduce buffer overruns.

'str' is also a reserved prefix in implementations so prefixing with my_ makes sense IMO, as well as making it clearer to casual hackers what functions are defined just in Angband and what are external.

But if you want to go that route, strcasecmp is the more widely available version of my_stricmp, so it's probably worth using that and then keeping an ifdefed version for when it doesn't exist - if there is a reliable ifdef. If not, the status quo is less complex.

I think the main thing test that is needed is to make sure that MSVC++2015 can still compile the code after you make your changes. That is the compiler that has been holding us back for years. I think now it should have standard bool and int types, but there's not that much information on the web about it and I don't have a Windows set-up.

When replacing MAX_UCHAR, too, some parts of the code should probably be using UCHAR_MAX and other parts should be using UINT8_MAX, depending on whether they're using 'char' or 'byte'. MAX_SHORT should similarly be UINT16_MAX.

Also, I think the savefile code can safely keep its own byte-flipping code. It's less complex than adding more code conditional on what platform we're compiling on.
Old January 28, 2016, 23:04   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Tak--
strncat and strncpy are ANSI C99 string functions, and they do exactly the right thing. (The only difference is strncat returns a pointer to the end of the string, not the string length.)

stricmp, however, is an ANSI extension, and it is not reliably available. The better option is to use the my_str* functions only where there's no ansi version available, but use ansi-style names and #define them to the my_str* implementation. If you look at existing code, you will see there are already uses of the ansi functions mixed in with my_str*!

Since VS 2012, basic ANSI C99 support is available for the MS compiler, so all that cruft can go away. (It's still missing some features, but it does have <stdint.h>, <stdstring.h> and <stdbool.h>)

Finally, I discovered that the infinite loop bug only exists in the optimized build OR it is intermittent. I'm not sure yet. :/
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016, 03:07   #13
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Finally, I discovered that the infinite loop bug only exists in the optimized build OR it is intermittent. I'm not sure yet. :/
You want to try running with clang/gcc's -fsanitize=undefined [1] to see if you're hitting undefined behavior.

[1] Or, indeed, one of the other modes to see if it's memory corruption, or...
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016, 04:08   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Finding memory corruption without purify is just massively annoying. That is just an awesome product. If anyone has a site license at work, it'd be a huge public service to do a quick run. We don't have it anymore because all our code is managed.
Old January 29, 2016, 07:16   #15
hjklyubn
Rookie

hjklyubn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tak--
strncat and strncpy are ANSI C99 string functions, and they do exactly the right thing. (The only difference is strncat returns a pointer to the end of the string, not the string length.)
strncat does something sensible and strlcat does something sensible but those sensible things are, as takkaria said, not the same thing, even aside from the return value. The meaning of the size_t argument is quite different between the two functions. Maybe this is the cause of your infinite loop...
hjklyubn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016, 08:38   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Yep, I misread Tak's post. Had to revert that part. my_strncpy is a bad name for it. Why not just strlcpy and strcasecmp, with conditional definitions?

In any case, Nick had an item to "make it ansi C99". What does that mean, then, if it's not just getting rid of BOOL, TRUE, FALSE?
Also, should get rid of that silly warning about only using declarations at the beginning of code blocks. That is sooo old fashioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjklyubn View Post
strncat does something sensible and strlcat does something sensible but those sensible things are, as takkaria said, not the same thing, even aside from the return value. The meaning of the size_t argument is quite different between the two functions. Maybe this is the cause of your infinite loop...
Old January 29, 2016, 11:35   #17
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've had difficulties with optimisation, but can't recall where. Certainly we have -O0 set for the linux makefile.
Old January 29, 2016, 17:52   #18
takkaria
Veteran

takkaria is on a distinguished road
This post was originally made before I read further down the thread. If you're interested more in the rationale behind strlcpy/strlcat, here's the original paper. I guess it would make sense to just use strlcpy and strcat as the names.

And thank god MSVC finally supports mixed declarations and code. Shame it took them 14 years...

Last edited by takkaria; January 29, 2016 at 18:00.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016, 18:07   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

Yuck. Better solution is to actually find the bugs. gcc supports -g -O2, so it is possible to debug optimized code pretty easily, even if line numbers get broken a little bit. I will see what I can do now that I have figured out how to interrupt running programs in gdb.

As a side note, can anyone recommend a decent gdb GUI for windows? I remember trying one in the distant past, but it didn't work as well at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I'm pretty sure I've had difficulties with optimisation, but can't recall where. Certainly we have -O0 set for the linux makefile.
Old January 29, 2016, 18:08   #20
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Finding memory corruption without purify is just massively annoying. That is just an awesome product. If anyone has a site license at work, it'd be a huge public service to do a quick run. We don't have it anymore because all our code is managed.
Have you tried -fsanitize?

EDIT: I think you'll be surprised at how effective it is at instantly finding loads of bugs. Granted you need to actually hit the case in question... but this means that you're also properly motivated to fix the bug since you have proof positive that it can actually happen. (As opposed to fixing bugs pointed out by linters and the like -- you may think that the bug is entirely theoretical and/or exceedingly unlikely and thus not be motivated to fix it... and just disable the warning.)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote