Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 5, 2021, 18:44   #61
Kooltone
Rookie

Kooltone is on a distinguished road
Another noob question. What exactly do runes do? Are they just resistances that protect you from damage types? I saw someone mention putting a rune on the floor to protect them from Morgoth. How do you do that? Do you inscribe the floor, or is this feature from an older Angband version?
Kooltone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2021, 20:21   #62
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooltone View Post
Another noob question. What exactly do runes do? Are they just resistances that protect you from damage types? I saw someone mention putting a rune on the floor to protect them from Morgoth. How do you do that? Do you inscribe the floor, or is this feature from an older Angband version?
Runes are a recently introduced system for identifying equipment attributes. Basically, you know what a piece of equipment does if you are familiar with the runes on it; and once you've learned a specific rune, you will automatically recognize it on all equipment.

Runes include equipment resistances, but also equipment curses, equipment bonuses (+speed, +stealth, +strength, +blows, etc.), equipment slays and brands (slay orc, acid brand, etc.), equipment abilities (free action, slow digestion, etc.), equipment sustains... basically anything on equipment that needs to be identified.

Runes on the floor, known as Runes of Protection (or Glyphs of Warding), are an entirely unrelated concept. They block monsters from entering a square or meleeing you on it. Runes of Protection long predate the rune-based identification system.
Old October 5, 2021, 20:52   #63
Kooltone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Runes on the floor, known as Runes of Protection (or Glyphs of Warding), are an entirely unrelated concept. They block monsters from entering a square or meleeing you on it. Runes of Protection long predate the rune-based identification system.
So how does one learn/use Runes of Protection? Is that just a scroll you get at deep dungeon levels?

I'm a noob. The deepest I've ventured down was to level 20 and died to a blood vulture.
Old October 5, 2021, 21:39   #64
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So how does one learn/use Runes of Protection? Is that just a scroll you get at deep dungeon levels?
Yes. Priests also get it as a prayer.
Old October 5, 2021, 22:47   #65
Kooltone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Runes are a recently introduced system for identifying equipment attributes. Basically, you know what a piece of equipment does if you are familiar with the runes on it; and once you've learned a specific rune, you will automatically recognize it on all equipment.
So how did ID work in the past? Did you have to use a scroll of identity five times as much?
Old October 5, 2021, 23:12   #66
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Kooltone--
Originally all objects needed ?Id (or the spell, or the staff, or the rod.) Certain objects requires *Id* to determine "hidden powers"--basically everything except FA, SI, rBase, rPois. There was a slow evolution away from tedious ID in the last 15 years or so.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2021, 17:53   #67
Kooltone
Rookie

So how does SLOW interact with the speed/energy system?

I'm a Kobold Druid who has an issue carrying a lot of weight for obvious reasons. When I enter Fox Form, I get Move + 1. If I understand it correctly, that makes me only consume 50 energy rather than 100 for move calculations. However, since I'm pretty overburdened right now SLOW - 5 goes to SLOW - 9 in Fox Form. What does SLOW - X do? Do I consume more energy? Or do I get a higher threshold of energy I need before it let's me move? Also, how do I know if the negatives from SLOW - 9 are out weighing the positives of Move + 1?
Old October 6, 2021, 19:59   #68
Julian
Apprentice

Julian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So how does SLOW interact with the speed/energy system?

I'm a Kobold Druid who has an issue carrying a lot of weight for obvious reasons. When I enter Fox Form, I get Move + 1. If I understand it correctly, that makes me only consume 50 energy rather than 100 for move calculations. However, since I'm pretty overburdened right now SLOW - 5 goes to SLOW - 9 in Fox Form. What does SLOW - X do? Do I consume more energy? Or do I get a higher threshold of energy I need before it let's me move? Also, how do I know if the negatives from SLOW - 9 are out weighing the positives of Move + 1?
Every ‘tick’, you gain energy. When you have 100 energy, you can act.

Most actions cost 100 energy.

At normal speed, you get 10 per tick, so you get to act every 10 ticks.

If you have +1 move, your movement only costs 50 energy, so after moving, you only have to wait 5 ticks until you can act again.

Speed/slowness increase/decrease the rate at which you gain energy. -5 is 6 energy per tick, while -9 is 5, so to get to 100 energy it takes you 17 and 20 ticks, respectively. To get from 50 to 100 takes 9 or 10.

So, at -9 speed, you can move as fast as a normal-speed monster, and do anything else half as fast.

This is not good, and you should try hard to get your inventory down.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2021, 17:22   #69
Kooltone
Rookie

At what point will I start seeing dungeon books for Druid? I'm at level 25 DL 22 and I haven't found any more books besides the starting one and the one in the shop.
Old October 13, 2021, 17:53   #70
Selkie
Swordsman

Selkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
At what point will I start seeing dungeon books for Druid? I'm at level 25 DL 22 and I haven't found any more books besides the starting one and the one in the shop.
The more important question is when will you find a dungeon book for your class. In my experience you'll find everything else first. If you're a warrior they usually show up at about 150ft.

Seriously though, dlvl30 -40 is better pickings.
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote