AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 11, 2018, 19:16   #161
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
arcane mage

died at CL 19 DL 26

A phase spider summoned me into a mix of monsters and since i got no teleport there was no escape possible.

You cannot target monsters which are out of light range. So Infravision suddenly becomes very strong for the mage so that he can target monsters out of the usually 1-2 light range from torch or lantern.

Also disarming of traps is not possible anymore making movement often dangerous if you want to move over traps. (I also dislike that in 4.1.2 because traps are only temporarily removed, that is most of the time useless).

Electric Arc is (almost) useless and coule be removed.

Compared with the 'old' mage its just a useless nerved version. Sure the spells might be from a fantasy point of view more sensefull aranged, but it doesn't make any fun playing anymore.
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018, 21:57   #162
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You should be able to target tiles anywhere, by hitting 'o' while in target mode.

And you may want to carry a Staff of Teleportation to deal with situations like the phase spiders.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018, 22:41   #163
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
OK, new builds are up on the build page with improvements to spell info and tweaks to new mages and druids. I meant also to improve mage recharging; that will have to come next time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypy View Post
I would recommend changing the fire bolt to frost bolt (just swap the element, leave the stats as is). This gives the mage all the base elements as options, instead of doubling up on fire.
OK, done.

Quote:
Acid Spray seems kinda useless? Difficult to cast, short range, low damage? Comparing to Fireball and Manabolt, I think it needs to do about twice its current damage to be competitive. (L/2)d8 would put it as slightly stronger than fireball, compensating the range penalty.
Done, plus made it range 4.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I agree with electric arc damaging items. It's trying to be exactly like a beam except this one gotcha.
I think it's actually good. The idea is that it has more damage than magic missile, and always beams, but has drawbacks - extra mana, monsters may resist, and it may destroy items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
'burning hands', cost 1 mana, +1 light (per hand, makes +2 light), and 2d4 fire damage if they touch (melee attack) an enemy. Short duration, so that you basically have to cast it new before every fight.

As alternative ... give them level 1 shape like cat maybe ... sneaky and fast and with lower damage than fox, or move fox to level 1 and give them something stronger at level 11.
Both good ideas. I've gone with moving fox shapechange to CL1 and tweaking it a bit; the burning hands idea fits with plans I have for more temporary melee effects (like current monster confusion).

Quote:
(1) Can we please switch electric arc and phase door - so that the keys for casting phase door 'mac' do not need to be changed?
(2) Would you please add the damage information on the spells like electric arc? Thanks! It makes feedback so much easier if you can rely on information rather than having to guess what the spell does.
Done and done.

Quote:
(3) Can we please change the book color? nature / druid should be green, and holy gets light and should be yellow and can arcane please get azure? Thx!
Green for druids was my preference too, but I didn't want to frighten people with too much change

What do people think? Personally I'd keep red for arcane, green for nature, yellow/orange for holy and purple for death.

Quote:
(4) For mages it would make sense to have wands equiped into hands, instead of weapons. Maybe one wand of magic missile into the starting gear of a mage instead of dagger? Using an equipped wand/stave could be a new command: u(se) for using staves from the inventory and a(im) to use an equipped wand. Mid-term we would need new wand artifacts then - but that makes much more sense than wielding the weapons as mage.
I think weapon damage is too important in Angband, even for mages.

Quote:
(5) to not have too many classes (which makes it hard to make them distinguishable) maybe we could call the opposite of holy magic "shadow magic". Then the rogue could be the shadow magic hybrid class and necromant the pure caster class. They could get haste self as unique magic.
I actually like "light magic" and "shadow magic" for the spiritual realms - what do others think?

Quote:
Compared with the 'old' mage its just a useless nerved version. Sure the spells might be from a fantasy point of view more sensefull aranged, but it doesn't make any fun playing anymore.
Yes, I'm thinking about that. Watch this space.
Old January 11, 2018, 22:47   #164
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Green for druids was my preference too, but I didn't want to frighten people with too much change

What do people think? Personally I'd keep red for arcane, green for nature, yellow/orange for holy and purple for death.
If you're going to change things, go big or go home. I'm not a huge fan of red mostly because of red/green colorblindness (not that I have it, but it's the most common type IIRC), so orange/blue/green/purple sounds pretty good to me.

Quote:
I actually like "light magic" and "shadow magic" for the spiritual realms - what do others think?
Given the in-universe associations between Eru frickin' Illuvatar and Melkor, Lord of Darkness, I'd say you're on pretty good standing there.
Old January 11, 2018, 23:53   #165
Tibarius
Swordsman

Thank you Derakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You should be able to target tiles anywhere, by hitting 'o' while in target mode.

And you may want to carry a Staff of Teleportation to deal with situations like the phase spiders.
Thank you Derakon, but actually i am no newbie to this game. But i take it that your intentions were helpfull!

I know that you can hit spaces with free target mode activated by 'o'. But since you can't light room / corridors you can't target correctly. So you either cast detect / fire / detect / fire or you guess where the monster moved to if you cannot kill it with the first shot, what is seldomly the case.

The character had not enough gold yet to buy a stave of teleportation (which is mostly around 2.7 K gold).

Last edited by Tibarius; January 12, 2018 at 00:22.
Old January 12, 2018, 00:06   #166
Tibarius
Swordsman

fast and furious

Quote:
OK, new builds are up on the build page with improvements to spell info and tweaks to new mages and druids. I meant also to improve mage recharging; that will have to come next time now.
We can team up as fast and furious Nick, that was realy a fast reply and new build from you! And if i play the new mage i am the furious - because if you are used to haste self, light, teleport, stone to mud and must play without it is unfortunately a big frustration.

Quote:
I think weapon damage is too important in Angband, even for mages.
My mages never go into melee combat - never. Except if it is a hit or die situation.

My mages carry weapons only for additional resitances or int/con boost basically.

Quote:
A point i notice now for the first time: until now priests and paladins used prayers and no magic. Prayers involve superior beings answering those prayers while magic is somehow learnable stuff(?). Do we switch away from prayers and make paladin and priest use light / holy magic instead? The word holy does connect more to priests than light does for me. Just naming ... but if you can't name things you are usually without a clear picture of it.
Old January 12, 2018, 00:17   #167
Tibarius
Swordsman

window preference file

Isn't the window.prf file in the /lib/user directory the sub window preferences?

I would like to avoid to setup my windows / fonts each time i install a new build version. So i copied window.prf file from the 35 build to the 38 build but neither fonts / nor window positions are taken from the preference file.

What do i do wrong please?
Old January 12, 2018, 00:49   #168
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Isn't the window.prf file in the /lib/user directory the sub window preferences?

I would like to avoid to setup my windows / fonts each time i install a new build version. So i copied window.prf file from the 35 build to the 38 build but neither fonts / nor window positions are taken from the preference file.

What do i do wrong please?
I'm actually having problems with that too. I will look into it.
Old January 12, 2018, 01:14   #169
Derakon
Prophet

Sorry for assuming you didn't know the controls, Tibarius. Sometimes it can be hard to tell; in the past we've had people who had played the game for years without learning about e.g. the animation delay setting that makes spell animations visible.

I hope at any rate that your character that died did not have too much time invested in them.
Old January 12, 2018, 01:32   #170
Tibarius
Swordsman

testplaying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I hope at any rate that your character that died did not have too much time invested in them.
Testplaying is basically playing with the knowledge that any time spend is 'wasted' in that sense, that you play under conditions which might change again.

CL14 DL 16 currently with the 38 build. Damage spells still do not develop fine.
Damage from electric arc is way too low to use it in a good way, even tho it has low mana costs.

Frost Bolt costs 5 mana now. And you got the main attack spell based on acid not in bolt form anymore. And it is just one big frustration to play without light / spear of light. Sorry to repeat me Nick

Cannot realy say anything about recharge - not enough experience with that spell yet.

I think detect treasure is a rogue type spell and has nothing to do with arcane magi at all.

And last but not least - i hate developing software in that way. The time wasted on test playing not thoroughly thought out things is way way more than it would cost to discuss things first and then implent a version which got an ok from the majority of people.