Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
"All Combat people have great respect for the legendary "Combat Echizen""
Does this have any effect on gameplay
Not as far as I know.

I wouldn't worry too much about the screenshot, but pav would be the person to contact if you think something needs to be done.
Old May 22, 2018, 15:13   #102
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
I have a character on level 98 of Angband and he hasn't completed the Dragonslayer quest
To trigger the Demonslayer quest would he need to go to a shallower depth in Angband
Yes. (If he did that, he would probably become the first character ever to go out of his way to meet ten pit fiends.)

The Sexy whip isn't going anywhere. Removing humorous content from the game, even if it isn't particularly funny humorous content, goes against all my game design principles.

Reforging is a very long way from pointless; if anything, I fear it's too strong. But I've seen people not get good results from reforging because they don't know how it works. Have you read the reforging mini-guide near the end of the FAQ?

The problem with longer player names is that the high score listing can only easily accommodate 15 characters; but perhaps that could be worked around.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:20   #103
Sideways
Swordsman

Double chaos resistance gives immunity to mutations caused by chaos attacks, but it doesn't protect/prevent you from acquiring mutations in other ways (like by potions of polymorph).

I will have a quick look at the rewards. Remember, though, that the Sand Pit reward pretty much sucks for everybody (unless they get really lucky with an ego) and the real reward of doing Sand Pit is that you get to do Dragon Quest without losing fame.
Old May 23, 2018, 17:48   #104
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It seems to me that a retaliation cloak would make any melee character stronger (except a monk, of course),
It does

Quote:
but lots of melee winners aren't wearing retaliation cloaks
Am I not seeing something
What are they wearing instead?

Retribution is nice but on a winner it's competing with endgame gear. Tricky to find one with resists(shadow, aman, ?...). I took a look myself & most winners it's a little tricky to see - generally the cloak is not particularly OP. You want to look what it's covering: a resistance hole, maxing con for hps or str/dex for blows, speed. Really a cloak of retribution has to compete with strong gear in other slots, people use the generally weak cloak slot to plug the holes.

That said retribution & an endgame vampiric is worth considering if you can do it. The serpent itself is immune to vampirism but that's not necessarily true of it's summons.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 05:57   #105
wobbly
Veteran

Well, I'd suggest using 1 then & going on to win then there will be 1 more melee winner with a cloak of retribution. Both my melee wins used cloaks of retribution, I found them to be good.
Old May 24, 2018, 19:13   #106
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
I encountered a problem with posting a character dump
I wanted to update, all I had done was rearrange equipment, and received the message "Character with same name and same email and higher experience already stored!"
I assume an xp draining sword caused the problem
Could the problem be solved by using turns not xp as the progress indicator
I think this was actually already solved (in a different way, and as a by-product of other changes rather than as a problem I set out to solve) in the big github upload from a few days ago.

I've used golem boots occasionally. The -speed is certainly a big problem; but if you've either been unlucky with speed boots, or have more speed than you need anyway, they can be an option.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:50   #107
wobbly
Veteran

Suggestion: If you kill boldor with a yeek you become king of the yeeks & gain summon kin
Old May 25, 2018, 13:15   #108
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
The description on the genocide scroll is that it eliminates all monsters of that type on the level (unless they resist)
It failed to eliminate them all when I tried it on spawn of ubbo-sabbatha and when I tried it on some spiders (maybe undead or disintegration) (I assume that neither type resists)
Resisting genocide is not a property of (non-unique) monster races or monster types; all monsters of any race and type have a level-dependent chance to resist (though it's zero for townspeople).
Old May 25, 2018, 17:52   #109
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
The juggernaut of Khorne guarding the anti-magic cave did not move towards my character who was attacking it with a crossbow
Some of the entrance guardians are abusable on semi-purpose, in that bostock likes to get cheap XP off them and it's no skin off my nose to allow him to keep doing that.

Off-weapon brands and slays only applying to melee is intended behavior. Whether it's great behavior is another question, though I do have hard time visualizing how something like a helm-based vampiric brand would function in ranged combat
Old May 25, 2018, 19:04   #110
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post

Off-weapon brands and slays only applying to melee is intended behavior. Whether it's great behavior is another question, though I do have hard time visualizing how something like a helm-based vampiric brand would function in ranged combat
Then maybe add Brands and Slays to say Rings of Archery? Ice, Fire, and Lightning arrows are well established in myth and fiction. This may require a new set of Brands, ranged only effects.

Maybe even an Arcane Archer class, all their spells require arrows.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband