Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 23, 2012, 10:52   #1
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Pits/nests and monsters that can escape them easily

I've always seen pits/nests as monsters' homes, which they would not leave that easily. Now many monsters in these pits/nests have flags that allow them to leave the pit/nest at once when they see (or sense) the player: BLINK, TPORT, PASS_WALL and KILL_WALL.

In my variant, I've banned monsters with these flags from pits/nests, but now some of them lack the variety they had before (especially the new v3.4 pits with a lot of monsters that can cast spells). I feel that this isn't right, especially if the player is allowed to blink, teleport or dig inside/near pits/nests.

I'd like to come with an idea to fix this. What would people suggest?

- leave pits/nests as they are in v3.4: monsters can escape them, the player can escape at will and dig the walls

- ban monsters with BLINK, TPORT, PASS_WALL and KILL_WALL: this would mean rethinking most of the pits/nests to add more variety (at least 5/6 races should be available for each of them to choose from)

- make the walls around pits/nests permanent: this fixes the PASS_WALL/KILL_WALL problem, and prevents the player from digging the walls; then monster/player interaction is only done via the pit's/nest's entrance

- block teleporting inside pits/nests: this fixes the BLINK/TPORT problem, and prevents the player from teleporting out of pits/nests
Old February 23, 2012, 20:11   #2
Goldbug
Scout

Goldbug is on a distinguished road
I've always seen pits/nests as more like a village. When an intruder (in this case @) dares to come near, the villagers pick up their pitchforks and torches and stream out of the village in a homicidal rage (or in the case of jelly pits sit there oozing angrily).

I'm happy with things the way they are.
Goldbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012, 20:46   #3
ghengiz
Adept

ghengiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldbug View Post
I've always seen pits/nests as more like a village. When an intruder (in this case @) dares to come near, the villagers pick up their pitchforks and torches and stream out of the village in a homicidal rage (or in the case of jelly pits sit there oozing angrily).
LOL! good one
ghengiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012, 03:22   #4
kaypy
Swordsman

kaypy is on a distinguished road
How hard would it be to add an additional wall type- something with "indistinguishable from granite to the player, but impervious to monsters"

That would mean critters would avoid trashing their village and would exit via the doorway unless either the player started knocking walls down or they got LOS for a teleport. (Critters with non-LOS teleport may take additional effort)
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012, 19:46   #5
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypy View Post
[snip]
That would mean critters would avoid trashing their village and would exit via the doorway unless either the player started knocking walls down or they got LOS for a teleport. (Critters with non-LoS teleport may take additional effort)
This looks like a good idea, but non-LoS teleport may not be as hard as it sounds. Of course the idea of some Quylthulg randomly moving about the level is dangerous and dumb, but having damaged monsters who do not have LOS try to cast a random spell, but one not requiring a target(summoning spells, heal spells, movement spells). Maybe if such a spell is not found the monster could try to shriek. If impossible and it can move it does so in a random direction or something. One of the things that could be tricky is telling the computer which spells require a target. This may require severe edit file changes, I haven't read any code.

IE: You try to hockey stick a Quylthulg. You start firing arrows at it, it responds by summoning something, you kill the summonee and start shooting at it, the Quylthulg teleports.

O already has monsters healing up when outside LoS. Maybe that could be added with this. Or is that too evil? It would almost certainly require monster mana, which may be too much hassle. It would certainly require a change to AI, presumably an added edit file and a modified monster.txt file or something.

Post if you think this requires a thread of its own, don't respond if you think it's a bad idea(s).
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012, 03:33   #6
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
This looks like a good idea, but non-LoS teleport may not be as hard as it sounds. Of course the idea of some Quylthulg randomly moving about the level is dangerous and dumb, but having damaged monsters who do not have LOS try to cast a random spell, but one not requiring a target(summoning spells, heal spells, movement spells). Maybe if such a spell is not found the monster could try to shriek. If impossible and it can move it does so in a random direction or something. One of the things that could be tricky is telling the computer which spells require a target.
In DAJ, monsters are allowed to cast certain spells from out of line of sight. There's a flagset for the spells which a monster is allowed to cast from out of line of sight (or while unaware of the PC). I didn't change the monster AI significantly, and it works fine. Heal from out of LOS is hardly an issue since if you leave a monster and come back to it, it's going to be at least mostly regenerated anyway. Monsters blinking toward the PC from out of LOS is much more noticable.
These are the spells allowed from out of LOS:
blink / teleport
temporary invisibility
darkness
heal self
heal other monsters
set a trap (this spell has different effects when aimed at the PC or cast from out of LOS)
I don't allow summoning or hasting from out of LOS. That would be nasty.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012, 07:06   #7
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
In DAJ, monsters are allowed to cast certain spells from out of line of sight. There's a flagset for the spells which a monster is allowed to cast from out of line of sight (or while unaware of the PC). I didn't change the monster AI significantly, and it works fine. Heal from out of LOS is hardly an issue since if you leave a monster and come back to it, it's going to be at least mostly regenerated anyway. Monsters blinking toward the PC from out of LOS is much more noticable.
These are the spells allowed from out of LOS:
blink / teleport
temporary invisibility
darkness
heal self
heal other monsters
set a trap (this spell has different effects when aimed at the PC or cast from out of LOS)
I don't allow summoning or hasting from out of LOS. That would be nasty.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, you only allow spells like summoning and and haste in the round a monster has been damaged. How did you deal with the coding in DAJ? Maybe it could be taken for V. I'm not completely sure about blinking into LOS though.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012, 07:29   #8
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear, you only allow spells like summoning and and haste in the round a monster has been damaged. How did you deal with the coding in DAJ? Maybe it could be taken for V. I'm not completely sure about blinking into LOS though.
Hmmm, allow casting summon or haste out of LOS only on the turn it was damaged... That could be a good idea...

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012, 16:00   #9
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hmmm, allow casting summon or haste out of LOS only on the turn it was damaged... That could be a good idea...
That's an "excellent" idea. No more no-risk hockey stick.
Old February 28, 2012, 17:16   #10
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have that in NPPAngband (the MFLAG_ATTACKED_BAD flag, or something like that). If the monster gets hit with spell damage while the player is out of sight (hitting the monster with splash damage, or pillar dancinge, tc..), it opens up some more tactical possibilities for them. This also holds true for melee, if the player melees the monster and moves away before the monster gets a turn (pillar dance, hack-n-back), the monster reacts differently, usually with a more nasty counter attack.

I like the idea of having them to summon in that situation as well. I might have to add that. The one issue that needs to be worked out is that the "Q"s would become extremely difficult to kill if they can summon when out of LOS.
Downloads:
https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote