AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old May 1, 2017, 16:16   #531
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You should actually do that. Just pick race/subrace/class/options that sound interesting and inflict them on everyone.
I mean, that's normally what I do anyways!
Old May 2, 2017, 18:26   #532
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Just a correction: There's no T2 2.4.0 -- that's the "in-progress" version number of 2.4.1 (I guess). Quite an unfortunate mistake.

Since there seems to be a bit of interest: If anyone wants to give compiling on Windows a go, I suppose I could pretty easily just tag the current HEAD on master and officially make that 2.4.0. Anyone up for that?

(Please use 2c8b8579faf729b9cf21b8b2d827f0e482570bd3 as a starting point. If you have fixes/problems please just post them to the GitHub issue tracker or, even better, make a PR. Failing that, feel free to post in the Variants forum. I'll wait to tag until we get a Windows compile then I can probably attach that as a "Release" on GH.)

EDIT: @debo: I'd recommend choosing the Theme module. For me, at least, it's vastly more enjoyable. There's a "choose random option" key on the character generation screen, but it occasionally causes an infinite loop. I haven't found the exact reason yet, but if you just retry the chargen process a few times, I think it should work. (Or just roll dice or something instead .). Oh, and we should probably avoid the Bard class -- but then again, maybe it'd be good to see if anyone has the patience to do anything with it.

EDIT#2: Also, just a heads up: This requires a recent compiler; not exactly sure how recent, but this GH issue is probably relevant.

Last edited by AnonymousHero; May 2, 2017 at 18:37.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 03:28   #533
debo
Veteran

I managed to build 2.3.4 but I'm getting aborts when I try to save+quit, which makes it hard to make a savefile. I'll try again later. Does anyone know why we would have preferred 2.3.4 to 2.3.5 in the previous comp we did for this game? Is 2.3.5 broken or something?

[Edit: I can't save properly in 2.3.5 either. It's generating files in ~/.tome/2.3/, but I can't load them. Can't tell if the savefiles or bad or not because of it.)

Last edited by debo; May 12, 2017 at 03:37.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 07:24   #534
AnonymousHero
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I managed to build 2.3.4 but I'm getting aborts when I try to save+quit, which makes it hard to make a savefile. I'll try again later. Does anyone know why we would have preferred 2.3.4 to 2.3.5 in the previous comp we did for this game? Is 2.3.5 broken or something?

[Edit: I can't save properly in 2.3.5 either. It's generating files in ~/.tome/2.3/, but I can't load them. Can't tell if the savefiles or bad or not because of it.)
Are you building for 64-bit? I know that that is at least very broken for 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 (was there ever a 2.3.5 release?). I also believe there's quite a few overflows which will cause e.g. AppArmor to crash the executable. (I'm not familiar with Windows, they probably have something similar at this point.)

Did you try building the GitHub "master" version? If so, what problems did you encounter? (I think you should probably post a new thread to avoid cluttering up this one.)
Old May 13, 2017, 09:02   #535
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
How about a V master comp while you're working out the ToME issues? It's in no-more-features final-bugfixing mode before releasing 4.1.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:38   #536
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
How about a V master comp while you're working out the ToME issues? It's in no-more-features final-bugfixing mode before releasing 4.1.
This sounds great to me. Sorry, ToME fans.

I'll set this up sometime this weekend.

Nick: any suggested race/class you'd like to see?
Old May 13, 2017, 18:50   #537
penster
Rookie

penster is on a distinguished road
ARGH! I didn't realize it was past the 11th. Well, anxiously awaiting this one. :-)
penster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 19:03   #538
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post

One of the reasons why 2.3.4 may be preferable over 2.3.5 is because 2.3.5 has the dreaded chardump CTD bug whereas 2.3.4 doesn't: If you have 10(?) or greater completed princess quests more than the completed Lost Sword quests (aka Fumblefinger) quests, the game will crash when you save the chardump. Thus, after that point, you won't be able to use the chardump function until you complete more Lost Swords quests.

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 20:57   #539
Gwarl
Swordsman

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
I had a vague plan to add in automatic support for competition entry on the webserver (after spectating and recording are done) with the hope I could get it done in time for a 4.1 release/competition.. I'll have my work cut out to get that done in time for this. But I'll give it a go.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 21:03   #540
AnonymousHero
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
One of the reasons why 2.3.4
(Not responding to you specifically, but...)

Let's be clear: The old versions are broken in numerous ways related to various overflows[1] and don't you even try to compile for 64-bit[2]. Most or all of these problems have been fixed in my fork.

If someone can give me, or link to, basic instructions for getting a Windows compilation setup using e.g. MinGW (or similar), I can try to do the Windows compile myself. (Caveat: I have no Windows licenses at the moment[3] and I'm not going to buy any. Call it "political reasons".). I'm assuming that most Linux players would be capable of compiling the thing themselves.

[1] Which means that if your OS does any kind of hardening, you'll end up with crashes. Frequently.

[2] My favorite was to use Morgoth as a god (piety < 0 at the start, IIRC) and to have a character with several negative skills (Stealth is a good one, but Magic Device or similar would also do). Start game, do nothing, save, reload. You now have 300000 piety and your "negative" skills are now maxed at 50.

[3] Well, I happen to have a volume license for WinXP that's still legal, but I don't think that's of much use to anyone. I do still use it for playing Baldur's Gate once in a while .