AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 16, 2018, 18:37   #11
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Don't bother buying armor; you'll find plenty in the dungeon. Spend the money on Heroism, CLW, Phase Door, more light, etc.
That was my philosophy a while back until, well,.... see the above comment about a character wandering out essentially butt naked (AC5) at DL25. went in with a shield, and the best armor he found was a +2 robe.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018, 20:11   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
That was my philosophy a while back until, well,.... see the above comment about a character wandering out essentially butt naked (AC5) at DL25. went in with a shield, and the best armor he found was a +2 robe.
At that depth, any armor you bought in the store would not make a significant difference anyway. I guess sometimes the RNG just doesn't like you!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018, 21:33   #13
Moving Pictures
Adept

Quote:
At that depth, any armor you bought in the store would not make a significant difference anyway. I guess sometimes the RNG just doesn't like you!
Attempt number six died on DL 23 or thereabouts. Ibun - at quadruple hit points, with no missile weapons, potions depleted, and no "bail me outta here" scrolls left.

Man, this be tough.

Attempt number seven: loaded up on PDs, no armor, no weapons. Tryiing it that way.

Last edited by Moving Pictures; April 16, 2018 at 22:04.
Old April 16, 2018, 21:57   #14
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Yeah PD scrolls are the worst bottleneck. It is much easier with a class that gets it as spell, preferably early.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018, 22:02   #15
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I like playing Ironman with Half Troll Warrior for the hitpoints and damage output. I generally buy as many PD scrolls as I can. Sometimes I don't even buy a weapon. The shields provide the most AC for the buck so they aren't a terrible choice, but otherwise I buy PD in lieu of armor. The problem is phase doors are quite rare and in all my ironman games (which is only a few) I always run dangerously low on them. I posted a detailed account of my Ironman HT/Warrior game in AAR (maybe you've seen it). I actually didn't follow my advice above in that game and struggled with phase doors for much of it.
Old April 16, 2018, 22:14   #16
Chud
Adept

Chud is on a distinguished road
I just started my first ever ironman game, what the heck. Gnome mage - let's run away from everything! At least I don't care if Smeagol steals all my gold now - no use for it anyway. I am playing more cautiously, for sure....
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018, 02:27   #17
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
One of the biggest things to learn in Ironman is when to use your consumables. It's a fine line to tread -- you don't want to never use them, because they can let you take on fights that you couldn't otherwise win, and of course they can safe your life. But if you use them too profligately then you won't have them when you really need them. And then there's inventory destruction...it's a tough problem!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018, 05:31   #18
Sphara
Apprentice

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And then there's inventory destruction...it's a tough problem!
@Moving Pictures: Regarding to the item destruction just want to ask you if you're using randarts or fixed artifact setup?
Playing with fixed artifacts must be significantly harder. Not only randarts tend to be stronger, they have elemental immunities way more often.

Fire and cold immunity are jackpot finds. Protecting the potions and scrolls has been a top priority in every one of my ironman games.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018, 00:18   #19
Moving Pictures
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
@Moving Pictures: Regarding to the item destruction just want to ask you if you're using randarts or fixed artifact setup?
Playing with fixed artifacts must be significantly harder. Not only randarts tend to be stronger, they have elemental immunities way more often.

Fire and cold immunity are jackpot finds. Protecting the potions and scrolls has been a top priority in every one of my ironman games.
Oddly enough, the first seven attempts were with standards, This time, going randart, and in all honesty, finding less cool stuff than oothers. I am at about the level I had others die (mid-20s) and did pick up cool armour, but otherwise, slim pickings. Heck, the rogue I standard played to die at Morgoth's feet picked up power dragon mail by then. (shrug)