AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 28, 2020, 04:42   #41
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
Even if I can take them, the cost in consumables and stats usually isn't worth it.
Disagree, but it's always a gamble. As long as I have a good escape, I'll take on most pits, just to get the treasure that's in there, their drops when they die, or experience or $$ from 'M's.
mrfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2020, 05:44   #42
archolewa
Apprentice

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
Disagree, but it's always a gamble. As long as I have a good escape, I'll take on most pits, just to get the treasure that's in there, their drops when they die, or experience or $$ from 'M's.
I can understand that. My general attitude is "There will always be more treasure, and death means I have to redo the first 20 floors." So if there's a high chance of things going sideways, I avoid the situation entirely.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2020, 06:56   #43
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
@archolewa
If you wanna get the loot from the graveyard by better certainty, then I'd adjust your good tactic there by:

Try not to destruct dracoliches and all the G's. Those are the ones that pick up items in there. If you're getting a chance destructing approaching L's without harming those loot pickers, then definitely do so. Or teleport the first waves of archliches and black reavers out. <-- This ofc is risky, if you happen to walk into the sight of a druj there later. Hand drujs are especially keen on teleporting you away.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2020, 08:17   #44
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
If you're interested in loot, then Destruction isn't best, even by luring them out. Some of them will pick up the treasure in the room and then when you Destruction them, the treasure is gone. Best is to banish/mass banish if that is available.
Wait, aren't items they pick up lost even if you banish them?
(Currently wondering what the plural of "druj" is... ) [EDIT: this random book https://books.google.it/books?id=Zjp...0-drum&f=false claims it's "drujes", from Persian.]

Last edited by fph; April 28, 2020 at 10:36.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2020, 15:44   #45
archolewa
Apprentice

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
@archolewa
If you wanna get the loot from the graveyard by better certainty, then I'd adjust your good tactic there by:

Try not to destruct dracoliches and all the G's. Those are the ones that pick up items in there. If you're getting a chance destructing approaching L's without harming those loot pickers, then definitely do so. Or teleport the first waves of archliches and black reavers out. <-- This ofc is risky, if you happen to walk into the sight of a druj there later. Hand drujs are especially keen on teleporting you away.
I always forget about loot pickers. Destructing the L's and reavers without hurting the dreads and dracoliches is a good thing to try though, if you can do it safely. Certainly not going to TO a horde of archliches and black reavers when there are druj's neaby. Way too risky for my blood.

When I'm deciding whether to go after a well-guarded pile of loot, I'm always comparing my strategy to bypassing the pile completely (in which case I get nothing). So I have zero problem only getting one or two items because the loot pickers stole them. I find 1-2 items at very little risk (since the drujs could technically TO me next to the Tarrasque or something before I can TO them) to be infinitely better than 3-4 items at some risk, unless I'm really hurting for gear.

That being said, different people have different risk tolerances, so I think your approach is viable as well.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote