Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 24, 2020, 01:25   #11
archolewa
Apprentice

archolewa is on a distinguished road
I applaud your ambition with blackguard. If you can pull off an effective class that becomes effective by breaking all the rules of good Angband play, I will be impressed. One thing to keep in mind is action economy. Having lots of moves (which the enemy does in thid case) is so incredibly powerful.

To counteract this, I think you need to give the blackguard improved action economy, not improved health regen (which will be useless in combat unless its truly astronomical). So maybe they get (accelerating!) speed buffs.

"Sure Saruman go ahead and summon hordes of allies, now excuse me while I triple move you."

Alternatively give the blackguards triggers. Like retaliation when an enemy attacks you, or a spell that basically leap frogs your turn to right now when your health drops to 25%, or maybe teleports you to a spot you designated ahead of time.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2020, 01:45   #12
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
One thing to keep in mind is action economy. Having lots of moves (which the enemy does in thid case) is so incredibly powerful.

To counteract this, I think you need to give the blackguard improved action economy, not improved health regen (which will be useless in combat unless its truly astronomical). So maybe they get (accelerating!) speed buffs.

"Sure Saruman go ahead and summon hordes of allies, now excuse me while I triple move you."

Alternatively give the blackguards triggers. Like retaliation when an enemy attacks you, or a spell that basically leap frogs your turn to right now when your health drops to 25%, or maybe teleports you to a spot you designated ahead of time.
I considered both giving some sort of speed bonus and giving ability to counter-attack when hit as possibilities - and there may well be others. For what I've implemented, I think rather than the regen it's actually the percentage damage reduction which is going to be the real winner; currently I've left it uncapped, which may be overdoing things a little
Old February 24, 2020, 03:31   #13
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I'm a little afraid the following comment might somehow be useless and unhelpful, but I'm a little confused why blackguard gets splash damage but not warriors. Seems like something warriors should get. I guess I'm a little confused in general about blackguard. Aren't warriors the class that indiscriminately bashes everything into submission? At least that's how I play Warrior. I have not really tried out Blackguard much due to the general complaints about it being difficult early on. I like HT Warrior because it's easy to get your foot in the door so-to-speak without being overpowered by the end.
Old February 24, 2020, 06:20   #14
archolewa
Apprentice

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I'm a little afraid the following comment might somehow be useless and unhelpful, but I'm a little confused why blackguard gets splash damage but not warriors. Seems like something warriors should get. I guess I'm a little confused in general about blackguard. Aren't warriors the class that indiscriminately bashes everything into submission? At least that's how I play Warrior.
Well, warriors are already the undisputed kings of single-target damage, so they have their niche. So perhaps it makes sense to let one of the other two melee heavy characters be capable of doing area of effect in melee.

Also, I missed the fact that blackguards receive a damage reduction. Does this apply to *all* damage? Even mana storm and getting crushed by the ceiling? Because yeah, that could be ridiculous and/or awesome. I find it amusing that in the near future, the two hybrid warriors could steamroll Morgoth in two opposite ways: paladins by cutting Morgoth off from his summons, and Blackguard by letting Morgoth's summons make him all but invincible.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2020, 08:57   #15
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
So I have come up with some ideas for a pretty big revamp of the class...[*]Permanent aggravation;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Permanent aggro and impaired HP is a nightmarish combo. No-one will want to play that.
Some time ago I've added perma-aggo 'Balrog' race in my variant (Tangaria), and it appeared to be quite good solution. One player made it pretty fast to lvl 50 with it (no win though) and had a lot of fun. It was before recent Tangaria's exp revamp; this race had 400% exp penalty and quite nice bonuses Now I'm rebalancing it to 125% exp (as all races..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
My intuition is that having aggro and impaired HP regen at level 1 will make the early game awful
It's quite alright to play 1-49 lvls with perma aggro; main problem is endgame actually.
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2020, 20:16   #16
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
OK, after some reflection I've decided to just give blackguards appalling stealth. We'll see how they play now.
Old February 25, 2020, 08:15   #17
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Perma aggro worked... when we had the competition with Hobbit Rogue starting with the One Ring (it was also perma aggr + drain xp). But ofc you started with the One Ring
Old February 25, 2020, 09:22   #18
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
perma aggr + drain xp
OUCH!

To add there NO_TELEPORT and it will be a real paradise Actually I hope PWMA will have LIMITED_TELEPORT flag (so ?teleport will work as phase door, for example..) one day, so such trinity maybe even quite real for certain race
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2020, 11:47   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
right. As well as IMP_HP and AGGRO, throw in a few random permanent curses at the start. Steelskin would make it a real challenge since there's no temp resist for electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangar View Post
OUCH!

To add there NO_TELEPORT and it will be a real paradise Actually I hope PWMA will have LIMITED_TELEPORT flag (so ?teleport will work as phase door, for example..) one day, so such trinity maybe even quite real for certain race
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2020, 10:06   #20
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quick comment about druid & OP fox form. This is overpowering other forms. Why would I use bear if fox is almost as good in melee, costs 2 SPs, has better fail rates & is faster moving?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote