Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 18, 2020, 07:20   #1
Driftwood
Rookie

Driftwood is on a distinguished road
Dlvl 50+ question

For the first time I've made it into the 50s in the dungeon. Problem I'm having now is that everything kills me. I'm kind of a forever noob at this game, I could probably have better gear, but I keep having major near misses where I'm only saved by phase door, teleport, and recall.

I have a dump of my current character on the ladder(Argolas). It is somewhat dated but my gear hasn't ended up changing all that much. Currently clvl33 with mostly the same gear as on dump. Any advice would be wonderful and appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: playing version 3.2.0, character is Dunadan Warrior.

Last edited by Driftwood; April 18, 2020 at 07:26.
Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2020, 08:17   #2
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
It is quite normal for warriors to hit a plateau there, because at those depths detection (together with stealth) is what keeps you alive, and warriors have very limited detection compared to other classes. Watch out for rods of detection and anything that gives ESP because they would be a game-changer.
The other big factor is speed, but luckily you have that already covered.

You might consider slowing down until you find some better detection. It's good to hang around at a level where you have to keep on your toes to stay alive, but if everything you can do is stair-hopping and depleting your consumables and escapes, then it's too deep. (Also, 30-50 is a good depth to slow down a bit because that is where stat potions start to appear.)

At that depth you should still be carrying staves of teleportation in my view. They are still reasonably safe (especially if you figure out early when it's better to use them), and they are a good panic-button escape. Even better, scrolls from the BM, or even better again scrolls of teleport level.

You are carring lots of cure-wounds potion, which suggests you use them a lot. Maybe you are taking too many risks with fights.

It is probably a good time to read that scroll of acquirement, if you haven't yet. Nick already advised you to cover base resist holes in the dump. Once you do that, invest on CON; you are getting to the point where you start seeing higher returns. For instance, switch to an armour with rBase, change that amulet for something with see invisible, and equip Hurin which gives you both some CON and a damage boost.

Last edited by fph; April 18, 2020 at 08:22.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2020, 18:20   #3
Driftwood
Rookie

Changed my gear slightly. Going to run 30-48 back and forth hoping for some drops to help solve my problem. Waiting for an Amulet with see invis to pop up on BM or to drop along the way. I'm just going to keep updating my dump from time to time. I wish some potions of constitution would drop more often i keep just getting tons of strength and charisma ones though.
Old April 21, 2020, 01:44   #4
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
why... WHY ARE YOU PLAYING 3.2 ????

https://rephial.org/release/4.1.3
Old April 21, 2020, 01:49   #5
Driftwood
Rookie

Because I didn;t realize until a few days ago that not only is there a community for this, but also there are newer versions.
Old April 21, 2020, 03:03   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
why... WHY ARE YOU PLAYING 3.2 ????

https://rephial.org/release/4.1.3
WHY ARE YOU PLAYING 4.1 ?

http://rephial.org/release/4.2.0

Old April 21, 2020, 03:43   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Nick--because you nerfed rogue too hard.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2020, 04:40   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Nick--because you nerfed rogue too hard.
And they're *still* the easiest class
Old April 22, 2020, 20:19   #9
archolewa
Apprentice

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
And they're *still* the easiest class
*Looks at his two wins with a warrior, win with a priest, win with a paladin, and MANY dead rogue characters. Is confused.*

(Note many of my dead rogues are from 4.1, so Im not trying to passively aggressively imply the nerf was bad).

Back on topic, I agree with what others have said. Youre in the best part of the game in my opinion. Flying by the seat of your pants until you find the game changing gear (ESP, enough con foe your health to go through the roof), or a Dracolisk murders you.

I would encourage you not to hoard those potions of enlightenment. Unless things have changed (I started playing with version 4.1), they fully map and light up the level, and show you where equipment is. This means that on the levels you drink them, you have full visibility, you know where all the treaure is, and you know all the routes to get to the gear. When I hit the fifties, I pretty much drink potions of enlightenment on every level I have them.

They might also show the type of gear, not just the little red stars, but I could be wrong.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2020, 21:01   #10
Driftwood
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
*Looks at his two wins with a warrior, win with a priest, win with a paladin, and MANY dead rogue characters. Is confused.*

(Note many of my dead rogues are from 4.1, so Im not trying to passively aggressively imply the nerf was bad).

Back on topic, I agree with what others have said. Youre in the best part of the game in my opinion. Flying by the seat of your pants until you find the game changing gear (ESP, enough con foe your health to go through the roof), or a Dracolisk murders you.

I would encourage you not to hoard those potions of enlightenment. Unless things have changed (I started playing with version 4.1), they fully map and light up the level, and show you where equipment is. This means that on the levels you drink them, you have full visibility, you know where all the treaure is, and you know all the routes to get to the gear. When I hit the fifties, I pretty much drink potions of enlightenment on every level I have them.

They might also show the type of gear, not just the little red stars, but I could be wrong.
I've started using them, I just wanted to save up to having a few and not carry them with me while scouring the lower lvls. They have been quite useful. I definitely found a better fighting weapon though.