Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 9, 2015, 00:49   #101
werepacman
Scout

werepacman is on a distinguished road
Finding a treasure is a part of a game. You are happy when you found a good weapon or spellbook, so a good chest for additional space could be also a party of fun. Unlimited space without effort it is like unlimited mana or unlimitedly powerful weapon. If there is no gain there is no fun. And combination of luck and effort makes gain pleasant.
werepacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015, 06:47   #102
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by werepacman View Post
Finding a treasure is a part of a game. You are happy when you found a good weapon or spellbook, so a good chest for additional space could be also a party of fun.
Not sure what you mean by "party of fun". Plenty of fun?

Quote:
Unlimited space without effort it is like unlimited mana or unlimitedly powerful weapon. If there is no gain there is no fun. And combination of luck and effort makes gain pleasant.
Unlimited space that is not accessible while in the dungeon only relieves inventory tedium and having to guess what randomly generated equipment you're going to find in the future (with randarts). It is in no way equivalent to unlimited mana (which !RestoreMana, is btw) or some ridiculous weapon.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015, 17:16   #103
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Finding a treasure is a part of a game. You are happy when you found a good weapon or spellbook, so a good chest for additional space could be also a party of fun. Unlimited space without effort it is like unlimited mana or unlimitedly powerful weapon. If there is no gain there is no fun. And combination of luck and effort makes gain pleasant.
Dude, treasure chests are some of the most mundane items in the game. They weigh a lot, they don't do anything (except this home inventory thing, which is ridiculous because you don't even need all the space you have now). You might as well start collecting broken sticks and filthy rags. Bring back shards of pottery!

I can assure you, if I had the option of expanding home with treasure chests, I would only use it if the number of slots in home currently were radically reduced and I would do it as few times per game as possible. I am astonished to learn that someone could actually regard picking up a currently useless and very common item and hauling it to town as fun.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015, 18:31   #104
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
Dude, treasure chests are some of the most mundane items in the game. They weigh a lot, they don't do anything (except this home inventory thing, which is ridiculous because you don't even need all the space you have now). You might as well start collecting broken sticks and filthy rags. Bring back shards of pottery!
Okay, chief, tone it down a notch, right? It's just a suggestion, there's no need to lay into him like that. Disagreements are fine, but there's no call to be rude.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015, 23:09   #105
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Okay, chief, tone it down a notch, right? It's just a suggestion, there's no need to lay into him like that. Disagreements are fine, but there's no call to be rude.
Hear, hear! Quite right.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015, 13:48   #106
werepacman
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
Not sure what you mean by "party of fun". Plenty of fun?
This was autocorrection I meant part of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
I am astonished to learn that someone could actually regard picking up a currently useless and very common item and hauling it to town as fun.
Not everyone knows what items are: 1) useless and 2) very common.

For me it was hard to decide which resistance is important. For example disenchantment sounds bad, but after you win you know there are very few monsters which can disenchant.
Of course the more I play the more easy I throw away items. So I consider this as a part of a game learning.

In current game I don't feel any need for additional space. I supported the idea with chests not because I see a severe need but because collecting benefits is a part of RPG game: more experience, more good staff, more space.
Old April 10, 2015, 19:59   #107
Zireael
Adept

Zireael is on a distinguished road
Uh, if chests are very common junk right now, why don't make them less common useful thing?
Zireael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015, 21:26   #108
mrrstark
Adept

mrrstark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
collecting benefits is a part of RPG game: more experience, more good staff, more space.
It'd be maybe neat if home-size increases were a loot drop.
"Blueprints for Home Renovation" or something.

You'd pick those up when a monster drops them, take them to a shop, pay the carpenter's fees, and have your house storage expanded by a couple slots. Storage could start small and grow, and how much and fast scales on your playstyle i.e. how much you prioritize picking up the blueprints vs. other inventory/drops.
mrrstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015, 23:48   #109
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zireael View Post
Uh, if chests are very common junk right now, why don't make them less common useful thing?
1.) The proposal being discussed would not make them useful.

2.) If something is common and useless, it should be removed, not changed to be useful. See dwarf skeletons, shards of pottery, etc.

Quote:
In current game I don't feel any need for additional space. I supported the idea with chests not because I see a severe need but because collecting benefits is a part of RPG game: more experience, more good staff, more space.
I think you should reckon with the possibility that someone will think this kind of thing is useful/necessary/optimal play and feel ill-used upon realizing it is completely the opposite. Hoarding items just to have them around is not going to help you win. Giving players the option to improve their hoarding capabilities through grinding encourages them to believe it will help them.

Grinding and scumming are bad, not good. It's important to realize this. Grinding and collecting when it is unnecessary prevents players from appreciating the depths of games by oversupplying them with resources so that they do not need to understand the mechanics of the game as well to win (or just sidetracks them with meaningless tasks so they that the actual goal is lost). Games in which grinding and scumming are necessary are worse for it -- this is repetitive tedium, almost as a matter of definition.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015, 20:51   #110
werepacman
Scout

Some players like to go to final fight as soon as possible, while others may like to stroll on 99 and collect items to face Morgot with full power. I think it is different styles of playing and everything is OK because people have fun. Sometimes grinding is even important, for example you reached 99 lvl but don't have necessary items. The game process is fun, otherwise game can be cut to generating character with 50 lvl and random equipment for just one final fight.