Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 22, 2016, 00:58   #1
brbrbr
Adept

brbrbr is on a distinguished road
Out of the frying-pan into the fire

Out of curiosity I have tried Kobold Rogue, and it is my favourit combination now.

I fell in love the first time I cast Object Detection!!!
I'd see the object I need, head there, grab it and move over. With kobold's stealth I truly choose my own battles. Sometimes I don't touch a monster on a level, I'd "steal" the objects move to another.

Heroic stealth is also super-useful on the last levels, where too many monsters can insta-kill me and CON is not maxed yet.

That combo is increadibly fast. I managed to get from 0 to Winner in 3(!!!!) days. (That was 13th attempt, though, but all attempts took no more than 2 weeks in total). I just cut the crap out and go where I need. Love it.

Now I get into frying pan of Half-Orc Paladin.
Every man and his dog on the level comes after me. I am sick of hordes of orcs and trolls. Every second beast poisons me, as it seems.
I can barely recover from battle to battle and have to fight everything moving on the level. That is tiring!
In addition to that, I cannot disarm the traps and pseudo-id takes ages to kick in.

Do you have similar experience with Half-Orcs?
I mean - Dwarf Warrior has similar stats. When I played it early levels were breeze. Now, with Half-Orc is feels as madness.
brbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016, 03:48   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yes Kobold rogue is a powerful combination. And paladin is difficult until pretty late when you get 5% fail on heal. After that, you can just stand in a corner and whale away--it's ridiculously easy.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016, 13:39   #3
brbrbr
Adept

Holy crap!!! I've found boots of Feanor!!! I've never seen them before..
WOW

Last edited by brbrbr; June 28, 2016 at 13:57.
Old June 28, 2016, 14:09   #4
Fiquin
Rookie

Fiquin is on a distinguished road
What about a Yeek?

Kobold Rogue, nice!

When do we get to roll Yeeks?
Fiquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016, 18:21   #5
GrandpuhTy
Rookie

GrandpuhTy is on a distinguished road
Been playing with a kobold rogue myself recently and am really enjoying it. My best character was actually a kobold warrior who made it down to level 44 or so.

What's actually best for a kobold character, though? A rogue or a ranger? They seem almost the same in the beginning, except the ranger gets some extra ranged attacks.
Old July 7, 2016, 18:43   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpuhTy View Post
What's actually best for a kobold character, though? A rogue or a ranger? They seem almost the same in the beginning, except the ranger gets some extra ranged attacks.
Define "best". The classes aren't really meant to have equivalent power curves over the course of the game -- that is, they aren't balanced. Hence the repeated comments about how mages are a challenge class.

I would tend to say that rogues are easier than rangers for a newbie, though. Rangers can completely stomp single targets in the mid/late game, but before that they have bad melee, mediocre spellcasting, and their archery is only a little better than other classes. Meanwhile, rogues have a comparatively strong start, with much better melee and stealth that starts paying dividends immediately. And since they're so bad at spellcasting, you're more likely to just ignore spells altogether and focus on melee, as is right and proper.

Meanwhile, an inexperienced player trying to play a ranger is likely to try to get good STR, DEX, and INT, and then discover that they're still bad at melee and they aren't very good at spellcasting either. Rangers really are mediocre until they get levels and a good bow. Not a problem if you know what you're doing, of course, but if you haven't played the game a few times you're liable to get into trouble.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016, 20:04   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I feel the strongest character is Rogue rogue with 17/16/16 distribution, with INT entirely ignored. You can start taking Intellect to catch up, once your other stats are above 18/50 or so.
Detect monsters and detect objects is all you really need out of the spellbook. Those are real increases in character power. Everything else for a long while is a convenience to allow a bigger inventory. Once you can use spellbooks 4 and above, things start changing. At that point, !Intellect becomes worthwhile. It occurs to me that stashing it at home for a late game burst is a good idea. Make all the extra !DEX, !CON, !STR actually worth something.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016, 20:04   #8
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
I'm all about the kobold rogues right now, though my very best attempt so far has been with a dwarf paladin. Being able to ignore poison from the start of the game is pretty sweet, and kobold stats aren't half bad! You just have to grab a missile weapon ASAP to avoid dying before you can get your hands on some decent armor.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016, 02:33   #9
brbrbr
Adept

I had a streak of win-at-first-attempt with Mage, Priest, Warrior, now back to Kobold Rogue with randarts=yes.

4th attempt with Kobold Rogue now, I struggle for some reason.
I wonder if it's randarts=yes or I just get bored and less careful...
Good weapon is hard to come by, monsters hit hard and initial stealth is not that useful as I'd hope.

I agree with Peter Mack that INT at birth can be ignored.
Object Detection and Find Doors is all I need for fist 40 levels.
%30-50 failure chance on 6 mana is very annoying though (STR=17, INT=10, DEX=18/30)
I spend too much time resting to replenish mana - wouldn't be good for competition turn count.
STR and DEX are much more important, though.
Bows are big help.
Old July 21, 2016, 02:51   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I would not even bother trying to cast spells with that kind of failure rate, personally. Resting to recover mana is a dangerous idea, because the longer you spend on the level, the more monsters spawn in, and newly-spawned monsters are always awake. Use magical items to handle your detection needs. Object Detection of course you can't perfectly substitute an item for, but you don't need to always have perfect object detection. Carry a Rod of Treasure Detection and only cast the spell if you need to know what specifically a * is.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote