Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 15, 2011, 21:05   #11
Raxmei
Apprentice

Raxmei is on a distinguished road
In the absence of the black market you'd lose your biggest money sink unless you ramp up the price of consumables really high. Looking for random cool stuff there and hoping I have enough money is interesting for the first half of the game and I'd miss that feature if it disappeared.

I do agree that more things should be guaranteed in stock. Basic spellbooks being absent doesn't serve much purpose and low CCW supply has caused some aggravation but hasn't altered my behavior in any way I would consider desireable.
Raxmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011, 21:24   #12
Bahman Rabii
Scout

Bahman Rabii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Some players may prefer to start with no armor and more consumables, or with a different weapon, or skip a bow when they're playing as a ranger. With selling, you can sell your starting gear and buy what you like; that's obviously not possible with no-selling, hence the change. If you have a better idea for how to start out no-selling, feel free to make your case.
I agree that it is nice to have these choices. I just don't think it is worth the cost. Sticking new characters with standard starting gear is not *that* bad.

If you really see this as an issue we could have a separate birth option to start with standard gear vs start with all cash. I am generally not a fan of birth options, but this one seems relatively benign.
Bahman Rabii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011, 22:00   #13
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
no selling ~ why bother??

please no rage!

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011, 22:09   #14
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Because it's more fun!

Have you tried no-selling yet? I know you've said you don't like it, but I can't tell if that's an informed opinion or just your reaction to the concept.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011, 22:11   #15
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos350 View Post

please no rage!
Trust me, you should try it. I thought there was no way I would, but it turns out I love it!
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011, 22:51   #16
Bahman Rabii
Scout

Quote:
Do you like heading back to town just to sell stuff?

Do you like being slowed because you are carrying heavy items you will never use because they are "valuable" for selling?

Do you like giving up inventory space you could use for useful, fun items?

If you answered "no" to any of the above, you may like no-sell. The only think I don't like is that I didn't think of it myself.
Old June 15, 2011, 23:04   #17
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Since it means I don't have to sell anything, and compensates by giving me significantly more money from drops?
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011, 23:30   #18
soyaki
Scout

soyaki is on a distinguished road
Trophy room

The thing I hate about "no selling":

finding low-priority Artifacts in the dungeon and deciding I need to keep, say, my stack of !CCW and thus I wind up leaving the Arty on the floor of the dungeon. The floor! It's disgraceful!

With selling ON at least I could find a good home for that artifact--and grab 10-30K AU on the side (though usually at the point this happens AU is no longer a concern.)

I think what would make me more happy about no sellling would be a special room in my Home where I can place objects and then come back to look at them--but never again use them. I think I actually would drag up that useless pair of RandArt boots (especially if they are a Unique drop) if I could just mount them somewhere nice.

I realize it's irrational. But hey, it's a game.
soyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011, 23:33   #19
Bahman Rabii
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyaki View Post
The thing I hate about "no selling":

finding low-priority Artifacts in the dungeon and deciding I need to keep, say, my stack of !CCW and thus I wind up leaving the Arty on the floor of the dungeon. The floor! It's disgraceful!

With selling ON at least I could find a good home for that artifact--and grab 10-30K AU on the side (though usually at the point this happens AU is no longer a concern.)

I think what would make me more happy about no sellling would be a special room in my Home where I can place objects and then come back to look at them--but never again use them. I think I actually would drag up that useless pair of RandArt boots (especially if they are a Unique drop) if I could just mount them somewhere nice.

I realize it's irrational. But hey, it's a game.
There is such a place. It's the end of your character dump where all your found artifacts are listed.
Old June 15, 2011, 23:48   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Every once in awhile someone suggests adding a Mathom House to the town, where you could deposit but not withdraw any number of items. I'm confident if someone were to submit a patch adding such a building, it'd be accepted.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote