AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old June 14, 2011, 06:18   #41
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
well I don't know for sure all mushrooms are positiv, but since Star started with paranoia ones, and those were positiv I figured they all are. So far all I found were. The positiv ones seem to do what the description says, the negativ ones have related effects. Eat disease to breathe nether
That's right. Positive mushrooms are unchanged, except for mushrooms that cure wounds: they are more powerful by one category. For example, Cure Light Wounds becomes Cure Medium Wounds.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011, 07:53   #42
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Thanks to you all for comments. This competition has been really, really useful for me.

In the spirit of "don't change too much at once", I'm now going to do the following:

- Replace Potions of Restore Stat with Restore Vigor (STR & CON), Restore Mind (INT & WIS), and Restore Grace (DEX & CHR). To strengthen the flavour, I'm going to change the stat pairings and names for Sustain rings, too. This change should make Restore Potions more attractive to carry "just in case", especially for bad mappers.

- Add one instance of Identify to Book Store (33 % more common).

- Add one instance of Remove Curse to Temple (100 % more common).

Potions of Cure Disease are already quite common at the stores. You can buy them from both Temple and Alchemist.
Old June 14, 2011, 12:57   #43
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
Eat disease to breathe nether
Eat disease to breathe BIG nether (saved my life once).

Quote:
I don't have a problem with id by use that has some risk, but potion of disease and scrolls of curse are too powerful and come too early.
I'd much rather get curse equip out of the way early, before I have good equipment. I've never found potions of disease to be a problem as much as the the enemies that cause disease, but cure disease takes care of both.

If the risk is negligible, then it's not really a risk (like a potion of poison). Having just a couple of items that can really screw you, that you have to look out for (or suffer) sounds about right... maybe it's just me. Add too much ID, and these become negligible too.
Old June 14, 2011, 16:59   #44
ewan
Adept

ewan is on a distinguished road
Matthias - thanks; squelch now on. I clearly need to spend a little time exploring the controls here!
ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011, 22:54   #45
soyaki
Scout

soyaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Matthias - thanks; squelch now on. I clearly need to spend a little time exploring the controls here!
That's kinda funny coming from the comp leader.
soyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011, 23:09   #46
soyaki
Scout

Hey, so this is where the thread is?

Hey, I really like this variant. In fact, I almost *like* it. A lot of the changes suggested above sound terrific. Not only am I looking forward to my next Fay character, I kinda wouldn't mind playing another good Star (especially in the next version).

One thing that I really enjoyed in the last competition (DaJ) was the indestructable spellbook versions found later in the dungeon. I always find it annoying balancing weight with spellbook backup counts. Losing the "last copy" of the wrong spellbook is usually either a slow annoying crawl to the nearest exit or a slow annoying death by attrition. Early on, I expect my characters to die from annoying things, but late in the game it doesn't seem fun.

I don't know if the DaJ approach was unique to that variant; haven't even played V lately. I'd love to see it in Fay, though, since I really want to try a few characters here!
Old June 15, 2011, 23:15   #47
soyaki
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
- Replace Potions of Restore Stat with Restore Vigor (STR & CON), Restore Mind (INT & WIS), and Restore Grace (DEX & CHR). To strengthen the flavour, I'm going to change the stat pairings and names for Sustain rings, too. This change should make Restore Potions more attractive to carry "just in case", especially for bad mappers.
How about !Restore Star (STR & WIS)

Seriously, I think the big impact of this is in the Home Inventory, since while I agree with Buzzkill that I would be unlikely to carry this down into the dungeon, especially if it's just two stats. Maybe Vigor. I will carry these UP to my home, however.
Old June 16, 2011, 06:49   #48
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyaki View Post
One thing that I really enjoyed in the last competition (DaJ) was the indestructable spellbook versions found later in the dungeon. I always find it annoying balancing weight with spellbook backup counts. Losing the "last copy" of the wrong spellbook is usually either a slow annoying crawl to the nearest exit or a slow annoying death by attrition. Early on, I expect my characters to die from annoying things, but late in the game it doesn't seem fun.
I'll think about this. I have important Fay-specific enhancements in mind for the next few versions, but maybe later.
Old June 16, 2011, 06:52   #49
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

I read the competition reports again. I had fun reading them.

So, the squelch by quality doesn't work? Noted.

Also, *Identify* seems too rare, right?
Old June 17, 2011, 00:14   #50
soyaki
Scout

Throwing powder mechanism?

FWIW, my Star (Staargh) cannot hit anything with powders--she only connects once out of several throws. I am assuming this is due to her hideous DEX and the base throwing system. However, not sure that is what you really would want to see with the powder system--it is basically wasted on Star.