AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old June 17, 2011, 06:45   #51
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyaki View Post
FWIW, my Star (Staargh) cannot hit anything with powders--she only connects once out of several throws. I am assuming this is due to her hideous DEX and the base throwing system. However, not sure that is what you really would want to see with the powder system--it is basically wasted on Star.
Hmm. Bows and thrown weapons get to-hit enchantment bonuses in the late game, powders do not. I'll increase all classes' throwing skill by +1 per 10 levels to compensate. Let's see if that helps. This should not be an unfair advantage for thrown weapons, because archery actually gets two sets of to-hit bonuses.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mikko Lehtinen; June 17, 2011 at 06:52.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 18:25   #52
ewan
Adept

ewan is on a distinguished road
*ID*: I still have found far fewer *ID* scrolls than artifacts; that seems wrong, yes, but could be a game choice.

I like the 'non-burnable spellbook' idea. I am also amused that lack of stacking means that spellbooks dropped by different uniques will not stack!

[On a different note, I recently had it brought home how possible, and how silly it would be to die of hunger in the context of no easy return to town: Star has no Satisfy Hunger spell, and there was a distinct lack of food around. Survived by drinking Heroism potions to satiation!]
ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 18:56   #53
Hudstone
Rookie

Hudstone is on a distinguished road
*ID* has to be limited in this version cuz if you *ID* potions, you'll get the alchemical recipe for it. Then you can dial up whatever mix you want.
>Star *Identifies* Potion of Life
Life potion = Cure Critical Wounds + Restore Life Levels
>Star Creates 37 Life Potions by the time she reaches Morgoth.
>Star trades 32 Life Potions to Morgoth for his Hammer, Grond
>Star beats Morgoth to death with his own Hammer.

I like the alchemy part, but the *ID* for recipe might be too strong. Keep *ID* for EQ only. Otherwise people use the *ID* for the potions and the spoilers for the EQ
Hudstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 22:26   #54
soyaki
Scout

soyaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
[On a different note, I recently had it brought home how possible, and how silly it would be to die of hunger in the context of no easy return to town: Star has no Satisfy Hunger spell, and there was a distinct lack of food around. Survived by drinking Heroism potions to satiation!]
Aren't you finding shrooms everywhere? They're actually pretty useful for me still, and they're food. Staargh is full of shrooms most of the time. (clvl 30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudstone View Post
*ID* has to be limited in this version cuz if you *ID* potions, you'll get the alchemical recipe for it. Then you can dial up whatever mix you want.
>Star *Identifies* Potion of Life
Life potion = Cure Critical Wounds + Restore Life Levels
Is mixing potions controlled by INT? I've traded INT down to zero for the STR boosts.... maybe I should stop!
soyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 22:26   #55
Matthias
Adept

Matthias is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Matthias
A store service for around 5k sounds about right. Money is very limited, even with digging and you'll have to think twice what to *id*. I admit that potion identification is very powerfull (and I used my first 5 *id* on it) but mostly only because mixing mid-level potions doesn't seem to require even a moderate alchemy skill. I maxed my stats almost exclusivly with the mixed blessing potion while at 0 int. Would probably have done the same without the spoilers available. The advantage of mixing those potions (Star got very lucky in the random department here) far outweights the exact knowledge of one artifact that you won't be able to replace for a while anyways.

So maybe a store service that only works on equipment, and keeping the scrolls rare for in-dungeon *id* and for potions.

Two things about !life. The recipe won't be that easy as it isn't random. For example creating a stat potion will almost always require another one. Also I tried mixing !life potion in the last competition and failed 5 out of 5 and that was with the best alchemy class and maximum int
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2011, 02:45   #56
Matthias
Adept

My bypass trap skill is still 0, is that supposed to be the case?
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2011, 02:46   #57
ewan
Adept

ewan is on a distinguished road
All fascinating . I gave up on even the concept of potion mixing very early - I knew that I would never bother and didn't have any *ID* in any case. I'm just now (clvl 28, dlvl 76) beginning to gain alchemical knowledge of some recipes, and I'm never going to make one (unless I suppose something like Life or *Healing* randomly happens to be two common potions and I happen to discover that).

Money: Even after buying Holy Infusions from the BM (!) I have 160k gold currently. That would be more than enough for *ID* at 5k - maybe a little pricier. I mined a lot early on, but there are a lot of monsters (Mummys and hydras especially) that drop lots of gold at later levels.
ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2011, 16:11   #58
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I discovered "restore wisdom" by trial and error. "Restore Strength" would have been more helpful. I just mix useless potions I find lying around, or that I can buy with my last few GP. Lot's of explosions makes it fun.
Old June 18, 2011, 18:40   #59
jens
Swordsman

jens is on a distinguished road
Are the recepies new for each game?
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2011, 04:25   #60
Matthias
Adept

Quote: