Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 21, 2013, 00:01   #11
Ed_47569
Scout

Ed_47569 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ed_47569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I think the reason is same as limited inventory space: to force player to choose what to keep and what not. I wouldn't mind if the home gets increased by just a few slots though: it feels smaller than in old games somehow even that it is 24 slots just like it was in 2.9.3, maybe because there are now more stuff to tweak with.
Home is just fine as it is I think...I mainly use it to store *Healing*, Life, banishment and Mass banishment. Then a few artifacts, usually stuff that provide rPoison and rDisenchant. The home has not changed since 2.7.8 when I started playing, except it all appears on one screen now instead of two - which creates an illusion that it is smaller!
Ed_47569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013, 00:16   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
One screen that goes from (a) to (w) is, at the very most, 23 slots. Two screens that go from (a) to (v) each are, at the very most, 44 slots. If you assume that, say, 4 letters are unavailable (get, purchase, drop, sell) then it's 19 and 36 slots, respectively. I find it hard to believe that there's actually the same number of slots now as there used to be.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013, 07:04   #13
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
EDIT: also, I could have sworn that the old homes went from (a) through (v) on two pages; surely even with skipped letters that's more than 24 slots.
2.9.3 actually went from a to x, but still had only 24 slots. None of the command letters were not used.

It could be that the really old ones actually had one slot less/page so 22 for home. I have vague memory that there was rather intense discussion about adding one more letter to home and same with inventory. One of the reasons old games were so much harder was inventory and home management: none of the staves stacked, and rods and wands stack only with identical charges. With quiver in the game now we have tremendous amount more space in inventory than we used to have.

[EDIT] just checked, none of the command letters are omitted from the selection.

Last edited by Timo Pietilš; March 21, 2013 at 07:21.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013, 07:20   #14
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
One screen that goes from (a) to (w) is, at the very most, 23 slots. Two screens that go from (a) to (v) each are, at the very most, 44 slots. If you assume that, say, 4 letters are unavailable (get, purchase, drop, sell) then it's 19 and 36 slots, respectively. I find it hard to believe that there's actually the same number of slots now as there used to be.
It uses two pages, but letters go from a to x only once. Second page has letters from m to x. First has a to l. In 2.9.3 there seem to be no non-used letters. It's flat a to x.

Older ones could have different way of showing that, but OTOH when you have action-selection sequence as only choice you don't actually need to remove command letters from inventory. Reason why current angband doesn't have those was that (IMO inconsistent) selection-action sequence, which would not work if you try to put something on or check inventory or equipment and there were item using letter w, i or e.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013, 14:22   #15
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Okay, thanks for looking that up. Hm. So much for memory.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013, 22:22   #16
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by academic.sam View Post
Actually, I meant within the source. E.g. Is there any object flag I could test to determine if an object is an artifact.
Depends on the version, but in more recent versions it's o_ptr->artifact