AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old July 1, 2013, 19:28   #131
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Orc archers when they flee will often get stuck in the corner not doing anything. If they're cornered they may as well fire rather then just sitting there while you shoot them down.
Well, *I* can't shoot at anything when *I'm* afraid.
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013, 21:26   #132
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
I've had them try to smack me with melee, probably the best option, really. Doesn't always happen, can anyone take a look at that? There's a panic code there that doesn't seem to work. This could also be WAD, though.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2013, 18:27   #133
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
When hallucinating you see monsters that aren't even in the game, such as Ent wives. (I wasn't sure whether this is on purpose.)

I don't like the abundance of artefact weapons. It feels wrong if you have the choice between 3 artefact swords, 1 axe, 1 polearm, 2 daggers in endgame. While there should be a reasonable likelihood of them, it would be nice if an artefact was something you build around instead of discarding it with ease.

Last edited by taptap; July 16, 2013 at 20:17.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2013, 19:22   #134
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
When hallucinating you see monsters that aren't even in the game, such as Ent wives.

I don't like the abundance of artefact weapons. It feels wrong if you have the choice between 3 artefact swords, 1 axe, 1 polearm, 2 daggers in endgame. While there should be a reasonable likelihood of them, it would be nice if an artefact was something you build around instead of discarding it with ease.
I love those hallucination monsters!!!!
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013, 10:10   #135
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
When hallucinating you see monsters that aren't even in the game, such as Ent wives. (I wasn't sure whether this is on purpose.)
It is hard to see how this couldn't have been deliberate. It is working as desired.

Quote:
7 weapons before the throne room would be a couple more than ideal in my view. However, if there were only 3 it would put a bit too much pressure on changing your build to fit your weapon rather than vice versa. I think 7 is also more than average, but I'm not sure. We definitely want people to find more artefact weapons than artefacts of any other particular slot, but are open to the possibility that they are a bit too common at the moment. Note that you get far fewer artefacts in Sil than in Angband. I think you might be the first person to complain that there are too many.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013, 16:27   #136
MarvinPA
Scout

MarvinPA is on a distinguished road
I made a few patches for Sil to fix my biggest personal annoyances. The patches are pretty quick and hacky for the most part but I'm convinced that the changes themselves are good, at least!

Coming from a DCSS player/developer's perspective there are a few parts of the interface that really bugged me, so the changes are almost entirely interface improvements:
  • Always display all monsters/items/artefacts in the knowledge menus (to avoid having to start a new game and pick up Loremaster just to check information - this isn't perfect though because I had to prevent using 'r'ecall on items, since otherwise it would leak their unidentified appearance).
  • Adjusted rage display, with red walls and floors instead of recolouring monsters and obscuring information.
  • Show item weights when standing over or looking at an item (as suggested by clouded, this makes playing without inventory windows way smoother).
  • Remove perception requirements for item use-identification, since in almost all cases you can easily identify the relevant items anyway (and if you have the combat rolls window enabled most of them become completely unambiguous).
  • Disable maprot.
There's also a couple of non-interface changes, such as replacing all upstairs with upshafts on the ascent, and the inevitable "remove violet molds".

The commits are here if anyone else wants to try them out. (And by the way Sil is great - it's the first roguelike to really grab my attention since Crawl).

Last edited by MarvinPA; July 26, 2013 at 16:33.
MarvinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013, 16:50   #137
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinPA View Post
[LIST][*]Remove perception requirements for item use-identification, since in almost all cases you can easily identify the relevant items anyway (and if you have the combat rolls window enabled most of them become completely unambiguous).
I like all the changes except the molds and maprot (wimp) but this one in particular is neat -- it may be the indirect nerf to loremaster we were looking for. (Or at least a step in that direction.)
Old July 26, 2013, 16:56   #138
clouded
Adept

clouded is on a distinguished road
I approve.
clouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013, 21:21   #139
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
7 weapons before the throne room would be a couple more than ideal in my view.
Since I wrote this comment RNG punished me enough... never found the kind of light sword I wanted with my recent chars. Also, staff of treasures makes a big difference, I wrote the comment when I had one and could track down artifacts very efficiently.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013, 23:19   #140
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Not so much a disliked feature, but some missing ones.
1. No more "show dark squares" in display options. This is a serious pain since there's no illumination spell.
2. No way to cause a warning when a carried "special" weapon starts glowing blue. It's just silly to have to watch the inventory menu as (e.g.) orc detection.
3. Special weapons should ID automatically when they are glowing if
a. there are no "dark" squares in LOS & there is only a single class of monster visible.
b any monster "panics"
Slow ID for glowing equipment is just silly.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote