AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 22, 2013, 15:24   #21
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
You are right in a literal sense, but do you see what I'm trying to do?

The idea is that if you choose never to sell stuff then you get bigger gold drops. If you change your mind and sell something, then your bigger gold drops go away. So instead of activating the option in a menu, you implicitly activate it by your behaviour.

A.
I think that's a pretty smooth idea, myself. Well done.
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2013, 18:30   #22
DaviddesJ
Swordsman

DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post

The idea is that if you choose never to sell stuff then you get bigger gold drops. If you change your mind and sell something, then your bigger gold drops go away. So instead of activating the option in a menu, you implicitly activate it by your behaviour.
I understand that this is what you are proposing, but I don't understand why you think anyone would like it better than what we have now.

While "realism" is not the only important aspect of Angband, it's hard to visualize why selling less stuff in town would mean that you would find more gold in the dungeon.
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2013, 18:38   #23
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietil View Post
"Safe" is not quite safe if you sell scroll of *acquirement* to shop early. Or potion of experience. You can't buy it back, not with low level char.
Excellent point. Hadn't thought of that -- although I think I've experienced the "acquirement" version of this semi-recently. Given the more "extreme" randomness of early consumables in Angband 3.5 (wip) this might actually become more common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine
I don't think there's any doubt -- it's definitely a clever idea... which is predicated on false premises (AFAICT based on other posts).
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2013, 18:44   #24
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
Given the more "extreme" randomness of early consumables in Angband 3.5 (wip) this might actually become more common.
Extreme randomness for consumables is really fun. I'm been playtesting it for Halls of Mist. It might be problematic with Angband's infinite levels, though, allowing players to grind for good potions on shallow levels.

In Sangband, using unidentified consumables has an increased effect. For example, drinking a restore potion unidentified increases your stat! This mechanic seems to work really well, and I don't see why it couldn't be adopted for Vanilla.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2013, 19:08   #25
DaviddesJ
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
In Sangband, using unidentified consumables has an increased effect. For example, drinking a restore potion unidentified increases your stat! This mechanic seems to work really well
So does this mean you can only do it once, and then you know what that potion does and you can't get this boosted benefit again? Or does it mean that you can do this any number of times? Neither of those seems to fit "really well". It seems like it's just punishing you for using identification. And it totally breaks plausibility. I can see how you can imagine that using a magical effect on a potion to identify it could change its potency. But how could it change the potency of other potions of the same type? What is the benefit of this?
Old August 22, 2013, 19:21   #26
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
So does this mean you can only do it once, and then you know what that potion does and you can't get this boosted benefit again? Or does it mean that you can do this any number of times? Neither of those seems to fit "really well". It seems like it's just punishing you for using identification. And it totally breaks plausibility. I can see how you can imagine that using a magical effect on a potion to identify it could change its potency. But how could it change the potency of other potions of the same type? What is the benefit of this?
You can only do it once per potion or scroll type, when you use the first one unidentified.

Yes, it's punishing you for using identification or selling un-id:d consumables to shops. That's because identify by use is more fun. Of course it's also risky, and bigger risks should have bigger rewards.

Plausibility? Perhaps: "Magic gains strength from being mysterious." If this explanation was offered to me in a faery tale, I wouldn't blink. And in real world, what people believe afffects the potency of drugs, and this has been proven scientifically.

BTW, Leon Marrick made another identification experiment in Sangband, too. Mushrooms can't be identified by Identify effects, they have to be eaten.
Old August 22, 2013, 19:39   #27
DaviddesJ
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
Yes, it's punishing you for using identification or selling un-id:d consumables to shops. That's because identify by use is more fun.
Ugh. Seriously?

If that's really "more fun", why not get rid of identify scrolls/magic? Or just have it not work on potions?

This certainly illustrates how you're never going to make a game that different people all like.
Old August 22, 2013, 19:47   #28
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Heh, yeah. But I think Sangband is pretty good at balancing things for both kinds of people. Id by use and Identify are both viable tactics, I'm not sure which one is better.
Old August 24, 2013, 15:21   #29
Tregonsee
Adept

Tregonsee is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=AnonymousHero;84087]Excellent point. Hadn't thought of that -- although I think I've experienced the "acquirement" version of this semi-recently. Given the more "extreme" randomness of early consumables in Angband 3.5 (wip) this might actually become more common.
[QUOTE]

(wip)?
Tregonsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013, 16:44   #30
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregonsee View Post
(wip)?
wip = work in progress
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote