Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 15, 2015, 12:43   #11
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Looking good so far from the little bit I've played! A few minor issues:

* Quiver contents are not showing up on either the 'e' screen or 'i' screen. (This is on Windows.) It's not possible to Inspect or drop them, either. They do still exist somewhere though, because I can select them to throw with 'v'.

* Also, I note that the new on-screen level feelings indicator from 3.5.1 isn't included, so maybe that could be copied over? That was a nice little feature I was just getting used to. (And more importantly, maybe somebody should check if any of the 3.5.1 bugfixes need to be copied too, if this is based off a prior version.)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 13:00   #12
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
* Quiver contents are not showing up on either the 'e' screen or 'i' screen. (This is on Windows.) It's not possible to Inspect or drop them, either. They do still exist somewhere though, because I can select them to throw with 'v'.
Yes, I should have explained the quiver. You can view it, by either 'e' or 'i' and then '.' - this is not very intuitive, but I was reluctant to give it a whole new command. If you try to inspect or drop, there should be a header at the top of the list of items which gives options to go to equipment (/) or quiver (.). This works for me in Windows; if it's not working for you, that's a bug.

There's then the separate question of how people like the new behaviour, which is open for comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
* Also, I note that the new on-screen level feelings indicator from 3.5.1 isn't included, so maybe that could be copied over? That was a nice little feature I was just getting used to. (And more importantly, maybe somebody should check if any of the 3.5.1 bugfixes need to be copied too, if this is based off a prior version.)
This is a very good point, and thank you for reminding me. Some of the bugfixes have been included, but I'm pretty sure some have not. And yes, the feelings indicator will come back.
Old March 15, 2015, 13:27   #13
Nomad
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Yes, I should have explained the quiver. You can view it, by either 'e' or 'i' and then '.' - this is not very intuitive, but I was reluctant to give it a whole new command. If you try to inspect or drop, there should be a header at the top of the list of items which gives options to go to equipment (/) or quiver (.). This works for me in Windows; if it's not working for you, that's a bug.
Yes, I was just going to ETA to say I'd found it! My mistake. Couple of issues after playing around with it, though:

* I think you need to restore the "in Quiver: 40 missiles" display on the inventory screen that shows how many slots the quiver is taking up. Otherwise it's unclear when your inventory's actually full.

* Nothing happens if you press '.' when the quiver is empty, which is a tad confusing, especially for a newbie investigating the controls. I think it needs to go to the quiver display and just show "(nothing)" like empty equipment screen slots do.

* The "(Inven a-w, / for equip, . for Quiver, ESC)" line you've added at the top of the 'i' display has pushed slot 'w' off the bottom of the screen if you're playing with the screen resized to the minimum 24 rows. (I don't know if many other people actually do, but I still habitually resize the display as small as it'll go so I can switch programs easily. And I'm guessing it might be more of a problem for ports to devices with small screens.)
Old March 15, 2015, 13:58   #14
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Loving it - thanks Nick!

Ref quiver, I don't seem to be able to store any ammo at home? (maybe I'm being stoopid...)

Also, I've just been paralysed while wearing boots of FA (and two other sources of FA to... er... boot).
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 14:00   #15
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Oh, and I'm constantly having to hit <i><escape> to redraw the map due to missing tiles (because I'm too lazy to look up the 'redraw' command). Shockbolt tiles, if it makes any difference.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 15:12   #16
mrrstark
Adept

mrrstark is on a distinguished road
Thanks for fixing the Windows display bug. I have another to report

It feels like there is a lot of flicker when the turn is draw when "Center Player Continuously" is enabled. Much more than previous versions. Is that something that can be fixed?
mrrstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 16:05   #17
Nomad
Knight

Does the new passable rubble in town exist in the dungeon as well, or is it town-only at the moment? Just wondering because it's currently impossible to distinguish from regular rubble in tile mode (I had no idea until I accidentally walked over it), which could lead to some nasty surprises if monsters can pass over it.

(Somebody please remind me to update my tile set before 4.0 gets an official release. I really need to fix the Ainur graphics as well now they've been changed from Angels.)

Also, does passable rubble have any chance of items, or am I just wasting my time digging through the stuff in town?
Old March 15, 2015, 16:48   #18
Runaway1956
Apprentice

Runaway1956 is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'm getting the hang of this:

Code:
git clone git://github.com/angband/angband.git

cd angband

sh autogen.sh

./configure --with-no-install --enable-sdl

make -j4

cd src

./angband -g -- -n4
I have a windows which proclaims itself to be Angband v4.0beta-4-g0a915bd and I have the subwindows floating on my second screen.

Time to see what I can do with it . . .
Old March 15, 2015, 16:54   #19
Nomad
Knight

A few more minor things I've come across:

* You can't sell ammo, as it doesn't seem to be possible to select the quiver when you use 'd' inside a shop. (Or the home, as MattB notes.)

* Using 'k' to squelch appears to default to whichever of inventory/equipment/quiver you had open last rather than to the main inventory. I don't know if that's desired behaviour, but it seems a bit strange. (Edit: same behaviour from the 'I'nspect command.)

* The "You reshuffle some items in your inventory" message doesn't seem to show up any more. (The result being that when you ID something, you get a message like "You have 3 Scrolls of Identify (k)", and then those scrolls silently migrate to a different letter slot but you don't get any notification that they've moved.)

ETA:

* Pseudo ID inscriptions aren't going away properly when you ID equipment by use. I've identified my Main Gauche as (+2,+6), but it still has the {magical} tag and comes up with "You do not know the full extent of this item's powers."

Last edited by Nomad; March 15, 2015 at 17:20.
Old March 15, 2015, 18:17   #20
Runaway1956
Apprentice

Runaway1956 is on a distinguished road
If the game just crashes, where does one look for a logfile? The save file is generated when I enter a new level, so that won't do you any good.

I was still diddling around on level one, firing arrows at a mold. The game just closed on me - no warning, nothing.

Ooops, there must be log file somewhere - I got this in the console from which I started Angband:

Code:
guy@sparky:~/angband/src$ ./angband -g -- -n4
./angband: software bug

Well now, the game seems to have restarted in just about the same place - instead of a mold, I found a centipede? Odd . . . I could have sworn I was shooting at a little yellow "m".

Last edited by Runaway1956; March 15, 2015 at 18:27.
Runaway1956 is offline   Reply With Quote