Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 21, 2015, 23:04   #91
StMicah
Adept

StMicah is on a distinguished road
A heads up re squelching:

Just went to squelch an average robe. My choices were to ignore this item or average *body armor*. When I select the second option, it indeed squelches average body armor.
StMicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2015, 23:08   #92
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
First of all i would say thanks to Nick and everyone else involved with developing this game.

I just wonder why you release a version that is so full of bugs that any braindead would stumble over dozens of bugs in the first 3 minutes of playing???

Wouldn't it not be much more effective to test the product you coded a Little bit and fix the obvious bugs before you toss of a threat like this?

I don't want to blame you, you must not justify yourself for anything you do. I am just baffed that any coder would give code out of his hands that is as buggy as this threat suggests.
I don't pay Nick (or any of the other devs) a penny for the incredible game I play. Maybe you do, but I suspect otherwise. Nick is spending whatever time he has left after children and job to improve our wonderful game and by far the most efficient use of that time is spent coding, rather than playing (for which I pity him). The most sensible thing is to let 'The Community', who are on the whole fairly experienced in the game, find the bugs that are out there.
If you don't want to help, that's fine - play the stable 3.5.1 release. You may have noticed that there is no link to the nightlies page from rephial.org; you have to deliberately go there. This thread was intended exclusively for those who want to give a helping hand (especially those, like me, who have no idea how to code) in getting Angband 4.0 ready for release.
That's my five cents - I'm off looking for bugs...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015, 01:09   #93
mrrstark
Adept

mrrstark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
First of all i would say thanks to Nick and everyone else involved with developing this game.

I just wonder why you release a version that is so full of bugs that any braindead would stumble over dozens of bugs in the first 3 minutes of playing???

Wouldn't it not be much more effective to test the product you coded a Little bit and fix the obvious bugs before you toss of a threat like this?

I don't want to blame you, you must not justify yourself for anything you do. I am just baffed that any coder would give code out of his hands that is as buggy as this threat suggests.
As a professional software engineer, I absolutely understand why this was released.
  • Show Progress
  • Get Feedback
  • Have friendly people help find bugs after big changes

If anything, I think they waited too long. But I get that reasoning too... reactions like this.

Very excited about the changes this refactor will allow.
mrrstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015, 02:55   #94
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
My Half-orc rogue seems to be gaining SP faster than he should. In 3.5 he'd have got his first point of SP on reaching level 5 and learning Detect Monsters, but I've just reached level 5 and I have 4 SP already.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015, 03:02   #95
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:

This is more of an alpha IMO. Beta was a poor name for this release.

The 4.0 release will be the real beta

If you look at the diffs it's almost hard to believe that you can move in any direction without it crashing, there were some massive changesets in here. I am pretty impressed.

For future reference, if a programmer puts any Greek letter next to a release, that translated as "I am really sick of working on this and I want you to find bugs for me"

Last edited by debo; March 22, 2015 at 03:13.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015, 06:39   #96
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
This is more of an alpha IMO. Beta was a poor name for this release.
In fact we were calling it alpha in the devteam meeting, but I optimistically and unilaterally started calling it beta a couple of months ago and no-one complained
Old March 22, 2015, 10:47   #97
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
This is a very important step for Angband's future development.
In the early days of Unix, Data General started their own Unix line with a major rewrite of the original code with special focus on the file system which was a horrible mess. DG's development team beat the competitors for a long time after that due to the extensive code re-write (1+ year iirc). And like in Nick's project, this was done with the clear instruction "ZERO functionality changes until the restructure is completed and stable". The following results were amazing, DG/UX got great file and volume managment, even clustered file systems, long before Veritas, SUN and DEC even came close to match this. Also "true clusters" with shared release areas as well as high security version and more. Alas, the hardware suffered from poor CPU's which were no match for the much more powerful cpu's from HP, DEC and SUN.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015, 12:10   #98
MattB
Veteran

Just walked onto a set of stairs with a summoning trap on. Now that's cruel! Funny, but cruel.
Old March 22, 2015, 12:34   #99
MattB
Veteran

Another tiny one.
When ID'ing by use, with autoinscribe on that item, you inscribe the thing you've just drunk/read/eaten, as in the below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	use-id.PNG
Views:	56
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	1203  
Old March 22, 2015, 12:41   #100
MattB
Veteran

I drink an un'ID'd potion.