Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2015, 23:11   #1
Rowan
Adept
 
Rowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 139
Rowan is on a distinguished road
All Trampled Uniques Go to Heaven

Of course they don't. But where do they go?

Just watched the Lernaean Hydra trample over Kavlax... but the many-headed doormat is still listed as Alive in my monster-knowledge. Is he really going to show up again, or is he gone forever? Am I cursed to see him listed as Alive just because I didn't do the deed?
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015, 00:42   #2
Monkey Face
Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 192
Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
He'll be back (assuming you live long enough :-)
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015, 00:48   #3
Zikke
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,068
Zikke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Of course they don't. But where do they go?

Just watched the Lernaean Hydra trample over Kavlax... but the many-headed doormat is still listed as Alive in my monster-knowledge. Is he really going to show up again, or is he gone forever? Am I cursed to see him listed as Alive just because I didn't do the deed?
It's as if he was never spawned, so he has a chance of showing up again at the same chance he always did.
__________________
A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015, 02:17   #4
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,864
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Of course they don't. But where do they go?

Just watched the Lernaean Hydra trample over Kavlax... but the many-headed doormat is still listed as Alive in my monster-knowledge. Is he really going to show up again, or is he gone forever? Am I cursed to see him listed as Alive just because I didn't do the deed?
Similar to if you use destruction to remove a unique, he has a chance to respawn.
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015, 08:13   #5
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Of course they don't. But where do they go?

Just watched the Lernaean Hydra trample over Kavlax... but the many-headed doormat is still listed as Alive in my monster-knowledge. Is he really going to show up again, or is he gone forever? Am I cursed to see him listed as Alive just because I didn't do the deed?
Trampled is not dead, just deleted. Same with earthquake "embedded in stone" and destruction. Those don't kill the unique, just remove it from level.

There is a rule in angband that monsters can't kill uniques.

That rule applies to all indirect magic too, you can't get Bullroarer killed by Dracolich nether breath even that it does way more damage than it has. It just leaves Bullroarer at one point of HP.

I once watched one of the Ringwraiths getting pummeled by hounds it summoned. I just waited for fun, I had immunity and glyph, it didn't. It just didn't die, so I poked it to death after it got boring.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015, 13:10   #6
Rowan
Adept
 
Rowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 139
Rowan is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Yeah he ended up appearing again a couple of levels later. After killing the Lernaean, Kavlax was a piece of cake- or more a little cookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I once watched one of the Ringwraiths getting pummeled by hounds it summoned. I just waited for fun, I had immunity and glyph, it didn't. It just didn't die, so I poked it to death after it got boring.
Ha! That sounds like fun! I never seem to have great success with my glyphs; monsters always seem to break them within a couple of turns.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2015, 03:38   #7
brbrbr
Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 104
brbrbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Thanks! Yeah he ended up appearing again a couple of levels later. After killing the Lernaean, Kavlax was a piece of cake- or more a little cookie.
Ha! That sounds like fun! I never seem to have great success with my glyphs; monsters always seem to break them within a couple of turns.
Glyphs have been very good for me. Even Morgoth didn't touch them for 4-8 rounds of melee. Depends on the monster, probably.

How about following approach: The less uniques you kill, the less is the chance that strong ones will be summoned by. So do not fight them at all.
If you kill everybody but Tarrasque - only Tarrasque will be summoned!
brbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2015, 04:03   #8
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,019
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbrbr View Post
Glyphs have been very good for me. Even Morgoth didn't touch them for 4-8 rounds of melee. Depends on the monster, probably.

How about following approach: The less uniques you kill, the less is the chance that strong ones will be summoned by. So do not fight them at all.
If you kill everybody but Tarrasque - only Tarrasque will be summoned!
On the other hand, if the Tarrasque gets summoned and then you teleport it away, then it can't be summoned again because it's already on the current dungeon level. Only monsters that "don't exist yet" can be summoned.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2015, 04:32   #9
Bowman
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 60
Bowman is on a distinguished road
I try to kill whichever uniques I can, because the less often enemies can use summon uniques, the more often I can blow away summons with banish/mass banish instead of needing to do destruction or teleport other games. Plus, man, I just like killing uniques

On the topic of trampling uniques, though, what determines which uniques can be trampled? I'd always guessed that it was driven by level, but my last character had a couple of experiences that refuted that. Namely, Maeglin (level 81) couldn't trample Glaurang (level 70), and conversely, Atlas (level 76) was able to trample Maeglin. Is it just something like h's can't trample D's while P's can trample h's?
Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2015, 07:41   #10
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
On the other hand, if the Tarrasque gets summoned and then you teleport it away, then it can't be summoned again because it's already on the current dungeon level. Only monsters that "don't exist yet" can be summoned.
I wonder if you could add a monster spell which brings monsters that are in the level into combat. "summon nearby" or something like that.

That could make summoners really dangerous when there is a vault nearby though.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
early uniques quarague Vanilla 18 December 12, 2014 19:32
Least exciting uniques fizzix Vanilla 23 April 21, 2013 03:51
Duel of the Uniques Oramin Vanilla 8 April 6, 2013 10:44
Purple uniques fizzix Development 0 July 13, 2011 00:24
Run away from uniques! slashme Vanilla 3 February 25, 2008 19:44


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.