Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 14, 2008, 18:38   #11
Melchizedek
Rookie

Melchizedek is on a distinguished road
As far as I know, randarts are supposed to function like superego items, and it would definitely create some variation in the game. If you look at people's endgame kits with static artifacts, they do all sort of look the same. I've never played with randarts though, so I don't know for sure. Might give it a shot next go-round.
Old April 15, 2008, 01:36   #12
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
I believe a player should be able to beat the game with or without artifacts, using several different kinds of strategies.

You can "beat" Steamband with neither artifacts nor ego items.
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=5787
Old April 15, 2008, 04:20   #13
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
So what exactly does turning on randomizing artifacts do? Does the game create new artifacts? Or does it mean that the same artifacts recieve random bonuses? If the game created new artifacts all the time then that would be interesting indeed, one would never know what he would find. And that makes the whole game enjoyable.
Malak Darkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2008, 05:15   #14
roustk
Adept

roustk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
So what exactly does turning on randomizing artifacts do? Does the game create new artifacts? Or does it mean that the same artifacts recieve random bonuses? If the game created new artifacts all the time then that would be interesting indeed, one would never know what he would find. And that makes the whole game enjoyable.
In V, the entire list of artifacts is replaced (at game start) with a new list of artifacts. The artifacts have random powers and resists, but generally have similar "power" to the corresponding original artifact.

For example, in my current randart game I have found this artifact:

The Set of Cesti 'Brion' [5,+25]
--------------------------------
It increases your dexterity by 5. It provides resistance to acid. It grants you immunity to paralysis. It activates for identify every 10 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

From the activation, I know that Brion is basd on Eriril:

The Quarterstaff 'Eriril' (1d9) (+3,+5)
---------------------------------------
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 4. It slays all evil creatures. It provides resistance to light. It lights the dungeon around you. It grants you the ability to see invisible things. It activates for identify every 10 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

Using wizard mode, I can find out that Bladeturner has become significantly different, but is still quite powerful:

The Scimitar of Dalduil (4d5) (+13,+18)
---------------------------------------
It increases your wisdom and dexterity by 6. It increases your infravision and speed by 6. It slays animals, orcs, trolls, giants, and demons. It is branded with electricity. It provides resistance to lightning and fire. It sustains your wisdom and dexterity. It is blessed by the gods. It grants you the ability to see invisible things, but it also aggravates creatures around you. It activates for berserk rage, bless, and resistance every 400 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

Kevin
roustk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2008, 16:13   #15
Melchizedek
Rookie

Melchizedek is on a distinguished road
I guess I was wrong then. So randarts completely erase the normal artifact scheme? What would be better is if randarts ADDED to the general proliferation of artifacts, maybe in reduction of the piles and piles of worthless ego items at midgame. Would make a much more diverse endgame.

Of course, the drop rate on *Identify* scrolls would have to be significantly increased, or make not all randarts have their powers hidden.

So I suppose the equipment focus would flow from average to good to exellent to special, and there would be enough special items to merit the change.

And maybe a MUSEUM. heh.
Old April 15, 2008, 16:38   #16
Remuz
Apprentice

Remuz is on a distinguished road
You should try T.o.M.E then, it seems to address most of your points.

I don't know how the artifacts are generated, but their number seems not to be limited, as long as you play long enough to find them (not sure here, this is just my personal experience). *Identifying* is not a problem, as there are in some towns a special service that will do it for you, for a modest price.

As for a museum, you should the Matthom house in Bree.

The progression you mention (average to good to excellent to special) is valid for every variant that I know of.
Remuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2008, 22:26   #17
bonzo
Scout

bonzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchizedek View Post
I guess I was wrong then. So randarts completely erase the normal artifact scheme? What would be better is if randarts ADDED to the general proliferation of artifacts, maybe in reduction of the piles and piles of worthless ego items at midgame. Would make a much more diverse endgame.
You may want to try NPP as well. From what I understand, the randarts code was rewritten a few versions ago. Sounds like it included the addition of randarts to the normal artifact list. I'm playing a randart NPP game right now, but my knowledge of regular artifacts is pretty limited so I can't confirm.

Pav posted here on this very issue:
http://nppangband.tannert.name/viewtopic.php?id=542

The NPP option is stated:
"Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts (beta) [adult_rand_artifacts] (off) : Most of the artifacts will get random names and qualities. This can make for a fun change of pace."

Give it a try.
bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2008, 22:58   #18
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchizedek View Post
As some others have indicated, there are variants where exactly this happens. Of the non-ToME variants, Oangband was I believe the first to do this, and FAangband inherited it from O, and I suspect Sangband has it too, although I'm not sure. NPP IIRC has this system plus the birth option to randomise all of them.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:30   #19
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
> currently playing angband without the creation of artifacts

I have been playing Vanilla without artifacts for some time. It is certainly more of a challenge, and it can certainly take a long time to assemble a winning collection of items. But I have won without artifacts several times, so I know it is possible.

I find the biggest single obstacle to be HP, so I'd strongly recommend picking a race/class with a lot of CON and a high hit-die. My personal favorite is a Half-Troll Paladin. It is also pretty much impossble to get resistance to everything (unless you are lucky enough to find Power Dragon scale mail), so you'll probably have to carry around several different pieces of equipment and switch between them depending on exactly what monsters you encounter. So you'll need to have a good monster memory built up.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote