AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old March 12, 2015, 09:15   #111
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by budswell View Post
With pets do I get the XP when they kill things? (It looks like I do, but not the amount stated in the recall window)
It's split not sure how exactly, on damage perhaps?

Quote:
In the ~ skills display, does ![Unskilled] mean my character cannot get better than that? I am assuming it does because my posessor (RIP) had ![Skilled] in the weapons he used. So if that's the case, which classes can learn to ride? My current character is a necromancer
! is max. I know magic-eaters & ninjas can't get above unskilled, most casters are bad, cavalry & beastmasters are of course the best, Chaos-warriors & rangers are not bad, the rest you'll have to try & see.

Quote:
Is there a way to get pets to follow you down stairs/recall? Kind of like "make pet companion" in Tome. (Although as I type this I guess I could carry them through in capture balls?)
Capture balls are the most convenient (especially if you want to teleport) but they lose all there xp. If they're standing next to you they will use stairs/recall but not follow you on to the world map. I corner them to stop them wandering off if I have to recall without a capture ball.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015, 16:06   #112
budswell
Apprentice

budswell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Capture balls are the most convenient (especially if you want to teleport) but they lose all there xp. If they're standing next to you they will use stairs/recall but not follow you on to the world map. I corner them to stop them wandering off if I have to recall without a capture ball.
Thanks, that explains why the one I'm riding always comes with. And I normally have them on "Seek and destroy" so they're never next to me, which explains why I never saw them come.

Next questions about Hex magic (currently a Sprite High Mage - I didn't realise Hex magic is kind of fighter magish).

What is with the "Patience" spell. The description isn't much help. As far as I can tell it seems to dish out damage to a monster I am in melee with after a while.

What is the point of the "Curse Weapon" spell? Why would I ever want to curse the weapon I'm wielding?

Last edited by budswell; March 12, 2015 at 16:20.
budswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015, 01:08   #113
MarvinPA
Scout

MarvinPA is on a distinguished road
Patience deals damage (in a ball centred on you) based on how much damage you took while it was active. In one of the later books there's a spell that makes your melee more effective based on how cursed your weapon is (and apparently another one that restores your SP by draining curses from your weapon! Hex magic is really weird).
MarvinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015, 01:23   #114
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
It's time for end of patioence!
Old March 13, 2015, 18:55   #115
JohnCW9
Adept

JohnCW9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
It's split not sure how exactly, on damage perhaps?

! is max. I know magic-eaters & ninjas can't get above unskilled, most casters are bad, cavalry & beastmasters are of course the best, Chaos-warriors & rangers are not bad, the rest you'll have to try .
That not true for mafic-eaters that can get skilled on one or more weapons
Old March 13, 2015, 19:30   #116
wobbly
Veteran

The original question was about riding. Apologies if my answer was unclear.

Anyone know how the dominate living creature works on a beastmaster? At level 8, 12 chr I couldn't seem to dominate a horse. Does the 'mighty' personality make a difference? Seems to negatively effect the fail rate for "casting" the power.
Old March 14, 2015, 09:21   #117
Nivim
Apprentice

Nivim is on a distinguished road
10-14 of a stat is the "meh ok" range; you shouldn't expect significant bonuses from it. If you want to actually get use out of one, aim for 18 effective or more.
Also, it might be easier to buy and use a capture ball instead (get a thing down to low HP, then wield and activate repeatedly), and maybe on something better than a horse (seems to even work on really big things if you can actually do the damage and survive), but I have also never tried beastmaster powers so am unsure.
Nivim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015, 09:57   #118
wobbly
Veteran

Yeah getting decent chr on a half troll is hard though. Might try with the barbarian & see if it works.
Old March 19, 2015, 16:31   #119
budswell
Apprentice

budswell is on a distinguished road
OK, current character is hobbit cavalry. So my question is:

Is there a way to speed up when riding?

Quaffing potions of speed does not seem to help. I have noticed "we" speed up when one of my potions of speed is shattered, but how do I make that happen.
I have a rod of speed (never seen one of those before), but 97% fail makes it useless and haven't had the patience to test it - maybe if/when my stats are up.

And BTW: The Stone of Lore. Wow. It might want to offer a hint at that in the *ID* description. I had got it once before, but stuck with the phial for the light activation, and there wasn't anything which implied it was better. This time I just had a lamp, so switched. Very happy I did, works great in conjunction with auto destroyer

Last edited by budswell; March 19, 2015 at 17:47.
budswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2015, 05:04   #120
wobbly
Veteran

Your riding speed increases with riding skill (the mounts speed matters also I think)