Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 30, 2015, 21:46   #1
desstorm
Scout

desstorm is on a distinguished road
Advice needed

After playing for years now, I always tend to get stuck in item choices... so i thought let's try the community

please check my http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17576 dump.

Have I been lucky with so many missile launchers?!

Can't choose. Is rConf worth the damage loss. Is the buckland in the long run equal to any of the long bows with the better arrows?

thanx for any advice
desstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015, 22:49   #2
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Hi Desstorm!

Firstly, ther's no point holding onto both the long bow of accuracy and the long bow of power. There's not much difference in utility between the two, but I would say make your choice and drop the other one.

Secondly, yes pConf is crucial for a ranger and, in my opinion (others may disagree), worth the drop in damage. For now. You will find other sources of pConf and then you can switch to another launcher.

Thirdly, yes that Buckland is way, way superior to your other launchers in dmage output. Whether that is negated by the Rangers' extra shots I'm not sure. you'll have to experiment. But wait until you get to clvl40 before ditching it.

Hope that helps.
Have fun and good luck!
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015, 23:21   #3
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess this is the part where I post about how you don't need any resistances except base and free action. In this particular case, that short bow is terrible and you need to switch to one of the long bows (the extra shots one looks best to me, but idk).

re: confusion resistance, you just don't melee anything with confusion branded attacks. Once you've got that down, confusion is not a big deal. You get a saving throw against other common sources. You don't need confusion resistance.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015, 23:24   #4
desstorm
Scout

tnx

Thank you matt.

I tried using the bow for the rconf ..
and currently i do enough damage. So I'll go for the resist. until I can switch.

and yes the damage on the buckland is tremendous... should've been my find on the hobbit rogue for now it outclasses the bow except for the best arrows.

so i'll save my arrows and go for the buckland until better times... greater times..

Happy 'Banding
Old March 30, 2015, 23:25   #5
MattB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
I guess this is the part where I post about how you don't need any resistances except base and free action.
There is a big difference between needing something, and being less likely to survive without something.

As ever, mileage may vary.

Different minds lead to different builds.

Or something.
Old March 30, 2015, 23:36   #6
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I should probably take back the "terrible" remark. At a total speed of 10, the important thing about the short bow is the +3 speed, not rConf (which is useless). I should've been more careful. The speed and low level of the character makes the short bow a reasonable choice.

[Even so, you'd do much better damage with the long bow of extra shots. Like, much, much. And the sling of buckland is also better than any of your other launchers, even taking the ranger bonus into account.]

Last edited by mushroom patch; March 30, 2015 at 23:41.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015, 02:13   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Instead of getting protection from confusion on your gear, carry potions of Cure Serious/Critical Wounds. Either will completely clear confusion when drunk, and unless you're in melee with an enemy who has confusing melee attacks (Umber Hulks, Nightmares, Titans...any others?) that will prove entirely adequate. For the latter, either avoid them, or carry a Staff of Teleportation, which can be used when confused, albeit with a higher failure rate than usual.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015, 12:42   #8
Quendus
Scout

Quendus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
unless you're in melee with an enemy who has confusing melee attacks (Umber Hulks, Nightmares, Titans...any others?)
Thuringwethil has a confusing melee attack, which I won't be forgetting in a hurry.
Quendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015, 18:14   #9
desstorm
Scout

I guess since I die a lot .. a lot.. mostly due to stupidity.. I tend to go for the safe side.

I go for the +3speed and the rconf for now and of course swith asap.

Better to find less good launchers

I'll post my death later on
Old March 31, 2015, 18:49   #10
MattB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendus View Post
Thuringwethil has a confusing melee attack, which I won't be forgetting in a hurry.
Thanks Dude! I'd forgotten about that little yarn and enjoyed reading it a second time.