Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2015, 20:05   #11
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,504
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarague View Post
On a general note: there are different kinds of ironman. It seems you are currently playing the forced descent variant, which is pretty hardcore. The simple restriction 'no WoR' (or 'no return to town' which is pretty much the same thing) is already quite a bit harder than normal but not quite as brutal. You can split this up even further by toggling 'disconnected stairs'.
No recall, disconnected stairs, forced descent, no artifacts, no ego-items, no books, hobbit mage.

(You first)
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015, 21:00   #12
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,095
MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
No recall, disconnected stairs, forced descent, no artifacts, no ego-items, no books, hobbit mage.

(You first)
[Sigh] I wish you hadn't said that.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015, 00:20   #13
Mann Time
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: On Earth, usually
Age: 24
Posts: 5
Mann Time is on a distinguished road
Big thanks to everybody for your advice. I'll dabble in Paladins and literal Rogues in my next adventures.

I did try out the advice of bringing a Priest and...well...it seems I've become complacent with Troll Warriors and their ability to not be threatened by regular mooks. It's going to take a while to break that habit. and not get treated like a speed-bag by large kobolds and poison
Mann Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015, 05:19   #14
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 434
Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
No recall, disconnected stairs, forced descent, no artifacts, no ego-items, no books, hobbit mage.

(You first)
You forgot "Monsters learn from their mistakes"
__________________
My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015, 12:41   #15
Mann Time
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: On Earth, usually
Age: 24
Posts: 5
Mann Time is on a distinguished road
Well, I've spent the day doing a run with a Half-Troll Paladin and oh my god why haven't i tried this BEFORE. This run's easily the smoothest I've ever had, even counting regular games.
(i'm not sure what the etiquette is on talking about your runs on this forum so this should probably be the only time i do this)
Mann Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015, 13:18   #16
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,095
MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann Time View Post
(i'm not sure what the etiquette is on talking about your runs on this forum so this should probably be the only time i do this)
Nah, go nuts!
(We're all ears...)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015, 15:37   #17
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,504
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann Time View Post
Well, I've spent the day doing a run with a Half-Troll Paladin and oh my god why haven't i tried this BEFORE. This run's easily the smoothest I've ever had, even counting regular games.
(i'm not sure what the etiquette is on talking about your runs on this forum so this should probably be the only time i do this)
Heh. Welcome to the PAIN TRAIN, conducted by Mann Time!

Talking about your runs is what the After Action Report section is all about, but really we don't care much about where you do it. Threads don't stay on-topic very long around here.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015, 17:21   #18
mushroom patch
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 298
mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, half-troll paladin is a really solid melee combination. The healing spells may make it the best for ironman.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015, 03:29   #19
Mann Time
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: On Earth, usually
Age: 24
Posts: 5
Mann Time is on a distinguished road
Well, chalk up another loss, though this one did have the advantage of making it 1400 feet in. All went well until a Ghast (or Skeleton Ettin) decided I was having far too much fun and rendered me comatose. Such is the regret of one who does not have paralysis resistance, I guess. Up to that point, though, everything went incredibly smooth and I wound up with a pretty good character all-around, I feel.
Mann Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015, 03:38   #20
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,504
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann Time View Post
Well, chalk up another loss, though this one did have the advantage of making it 1400 feet in. All went well until a Ghast (or Skeleton Ettin) decided I was having far too much fun and rendered me comatose. Such is the regret of one who does not have paralysis resistance, I guess. Up to that point, though, everything went incredibly smooth and I wound up with a pretty good character all-around, I feel.
Must've been a Ghast; all of the monsters named "Skeleton Whatever" are just straight-up melee monsters with no tricks.

And yeah, free action is pretty much non-negotiable, especially when your saving throw is poor. One of the few defensive abilities that's actually a requirement to win the game, I feel.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
incompetance, ironman, newbie, you're it


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pac-Man Vault buzzkill Development 11 November 21, 2012 14:34
T-Engine4 / ToME4 beta22 aka "Till the blood runs clear" unleashed! DarkGod ToME 1 March 31, 2011 01:12
Limited Iron Man Mode EpicMan Vanilla 3 December 4, 2010 06:10
Iron Man for a day :) Chud Vanilla 0 November 19, 2010 00:46
[FA 033] He who fights and runs away! darkdrone Variants 2 April 28, 2008 09:56


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.