Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 22, 2011, 06:32   #1
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
a bug I wish hadn't been fixed

I hit something with an ego digger "of earthquakes", and it caused an earthquake. That never used to happen. I understand the reason for the change, but fixing it was a mistake. It would have been better to change the name.

I used to use that ego occasionally. I doubt I will again.

[edit]

SORRY EVERYONE.

It appears the code wasn't changed, and I just used it with a char with too much damage bonus, and that's all that is going on.

Last edited by PowerDiver; June 22, 2011 at 22:13.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011, 13:28   #2
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I hit something with an ego digger "of earthquakes", and it caused an earthquake. That never used to happen. I understand the reason for the change, but fixing it was a mistake. It would have been better to change the name.

I used to use that ego occasionally. I doubt I will again.
Which change "fixed" the bug?
Old June 22, 2011, 15:28   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I think perhaps it used to be a low chance per-blow that an earthquake would occur, and now it's basically every time? It's been a long time since I tried out earthquake diggers; the annoyance factor is simply too great.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011, 18:08   #4
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
I have no idea. I'm playing code based off of a clone from 4/24, so before then.

I disagree with d_m. Even if the earthquakes were made rare, I still wouldn't use it. If you want it to be useful, the earthquake should be an activation fully under the player's control.
Old June 22, 2011, 18:37   #5
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I disagree with d_m. Even if the earthquakes were made rare, I still wouldn't use it. If you want it to be useful, the earthquake should be an activation fully under the player's control.
I second this. Earthquakes are barely interesting when you want them, let alone as something that just happens.

Grond can say as-is though.
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011, 18:44   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I've gotten utility out of earthquakes only a handful of times in my Angband history. The most recent was with a paladin who wanted to clear a section of vault, but Ancalagon was in it. So he cast Earthquake until walls surrounded Ancalagon, and he was able to proceed. Otherwise, there's the rare situation where I need to block LOS of something stationary and earthquake's the only thing that will do the trick.

...actually, I think Ancalagon just ended up getting squished, but the principle is the same. And if you say earthquake shouldn't be able to affect vault tiles, then what would you suggest the spell be used for?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011, 19:50   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
I've had a look at the git logs and the behaviour seems to have been unchanged for a long time: if OF_IMPACT && dam > 50, the earthquake function is called. It's possible that I simply couldn't see what was previously a bug (there's been a lot of refactoring of flag checking etc.) but I couldn't see any obvious change to the logic.

I've never used an earthquake weapon. It looks to me like a candidate for removal.
Old June 22, 2011, 22:05   #8
Jazerus
Apprentice

Jazerus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I've had a look at the git logs and the behaviour seems to have been unchanged for a long time: if OF_IMPACT && dam > 50, the earthquake function is called. It's possible that I simply couldn't see what was previously a bug (there's been a lot of refactoring of flag checking etc.) but I couldn't see any obvious change to the logic.

I've never used an earthquake weapon. It looks to me like a candidate for removal.
It's a digger ego, not a weapon ego per se. It is pretty powerful as a weapon if you don't have a decent artifact though, and it's also the best digger ego for tunneling - why remove it?
Jazerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011, 22:12   #9
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post

I wonder. Did it just happen because I somehow had +50 to damage? When I care about the str bonus enough to use the ego, that seems like a very unlikely occurrence. Maybe I have changed my habits doing so much testing of my changes to the use-by-id code.

Sorry for the false alarm.

But I still think it should be changed to an activation.

I'll edit my first post indicating my cluelessness.
Old June 23, 2011, 01:31   #10
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I'll occasionally use a staff of earthquakes to sloppily tunnel from one location to another. I never used one for offense, and in the context 'of digging', you could lose the earthquake property unless you're trying for a mixed blessing item.

A better solution would be to fix earthquakes, so that they are something desirable. As it stands now, "cave-ins" seems a more appropriate title. Opening a gorge in the earth that swallowed your enemies or separated them from you would be cool.