AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old June 24, 2018, 13:15   #11
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
One last thing: If you do this, make sure to use (git) source control right from the start. It makes it much easier to bring in other closely related variants thereafter, via headless merge.
yeah I'll have to lookup how to use github. If anyone can point me to a good guide?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018, 14:14   #12
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
It will be neat to have a straight-up O clone. However, there were parts of the O monster list that didn't really work great, so it would be nice to have a difficult monster list variant which builds on the O monster list but changes some aspects.

Personally, I think the removal of confusion as an element that can be breathed and cause direct damage was a good thing for the game. Bronze dragons, more than any other type of dragon, were either bags of XP and loot, or your worst nightmare. Just like light and dark can inflict blindness, sound and chaos should be able to inflict confusion. There is no need for a pure blindness breath.

I do think (re)implementing the various metallic dragons would be cool. They could be given some of the more esoteric elements that currently only have hounds and vortices. I can imagine bronze, silver, and platinum (er, mithril?) dragons getting force, inertia, and gravity breaths respectively. A time dragon seems undesirable, except as a unique (the answer to one of Gollum's riddles). I suppose I should make my own variant, or at least my own edit files at some point.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018, 20:11   #13
wobbly
Veteran

I had considered giving them nexus & making them deeper. Vanilla Stat Scramble is temporary now I think. Though it'd be nice to at least keep the little bronze dragon flys. we'll see, there are options.
Old June 24, 2018, 20:13   #14
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Off-topic but CPB/FCPB has inertia-breathing silver dragons if silver = inertia were canonical that would be cool. I won't change my silver dragons because I did them first.

I am happy with gold/silver/bronze for our metallic dragons though and am trying to come up with things for purple and yellow dragons to breathe.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018, 20:15   #15
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
Off-topic but CPB/FCPB has inertia-breathing silver dragons if silver = inertia were canonical that would be cool. I won't change my silver dragons because I did them first.

I am happy with gold/silver/bronze for our metallic dragons though and am trying to come up with things for purple and yellow dragons to breathe.
yellow could be sulfur. Fire/poison for CPB?

Edit:Purple: steam?, toxic waste?

Edit:Also fine with silver being inertia. Will probably look at getting it closer to the original 1st

Last edited by wobbly; June 24, 2018 at 20:29.
Old June 24, 2018, 20:37   #16
wobbly
Veteran

I'm also considering adding listen (partial telepathy from perception) from Sil to at least the rogue & ranger, which would mean puting the old perception stat back in I think. Maybe reverting traps, maybe not.

Edit: I'm thinking no racial/class xp penalties. The help files say high elfs & dunadans are the best beginner options after all. Maybe humans get a bonus to keep their stick & the numbers for xp are tweaked accordingly. I think I'll have the xp penalties in an earlier version to be original true, then take them out.

Edit: Status effects I'd like to use the old system & tweak as necessary. We'll see how hard that is to do

Last edited by wobbly; June 24, 2018 at 21:21.
Old June 24, 2018, 21:14   #17
Philip
Knight

No XP penalties puts you in line with O, FA, the cutting edge of V, and in S experience works differently for different races, but the same amount will mean roughly the same thing to each race. Removing the penalties puts you in very good company. Giving humans an XP bonus as their special ability also seems reasonable, though giving them an extra specialty point seems like an option if you get around to reimplementing (and perhaps fixing) those.

Listen sounds like a fun mechanic, would really help differentiate stealthy gameplay from early on. On rangers, it feels like perhaps the kind of thing that could be applied as a temporary buff from spells (call it Tracking or something), just to give the rogue an edge with avoidance. The main issue I see here is that it would rely somewhat on monsters having a stealth stat, which they do not currently as far as I can tell.
Old June 24, 2018, 21:24   #18
wobbly
Veteran

I assume they have an "alertness" for the stealth mechanic. I was thinking of borrowing that till the individual numbers could be addressed.
Old June 24, 2018, 21:27   #19
Philip
Knight

Yeah, that should work pretty well. Not sure what alertness values are like on NO_SLEEP monsters and there are going to be a couple edge cases, but it should work well enough for testing at least.
Old June 24, 2018, 21:37   #20
wobbly
Veteran

An idea that occurs to me is that making the dungeon 50 levels deep instead of implementing & fixing shafts might be the right direction anyway. Plenty of play in 50 levels

Edit:Alternatively 100 levels & every staircase a shaft if people are attached to the numbers