Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
"Curse" needs a new name I think
Old February 21, 2018, 22:21   #352
Voovus
Scout

Voovus is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the nice response, Nick. (Not to mention for all your work!)

Thanks also for the data regarding the Curse spell: that really clears things up. Incidentally, as we're in play-testing mode, could you possibly add such data to the spell descriptions? This would be particularly useful for the shapeshifting spells. For instance, you mentioned that Pukelman gives poison immunity: this is very powerful, but not something that's easy to randomly spot (...unless you let a Drolem breathe on you while not having any poison resistance). It would also be very nice if resistances granted by shapeshifting would show up in the character stats screen, though I appreciate that this might not be easy to do.

Shapeshifting: I was really just referring to dropping/picking up items, rather than using them. It's a little tedious to go in and out of fox form every time I'd like to pick up a potion, scroll etc.

Vampire form: maybe inflict massive bleeding on the player, instead of the direct hp cost?

Undead: thorny indeed. In terms of the game dynamics, teleporting them far away should be sufficient. But, thematically, it might make more sense if necromancers would regard the undead as friends rather than enemies, which is why I suggested banishing them completely. If you call the spell "Undead Pact" or something else that's undead-friendly, it might suggest that the undead agree to leave the player alone, rather than get disintegrated by holy fires. (If necromancers are morally meant to be part of the "Let Undead Live" league, you could even stop all undead from spawning in the game in the first place...)

Noxious Fumes: probably increasing damage and poison to player would do the trick. This spell relies on the player having a way of getting rid of poison, which makes it different from the usual lot. I haven't tried, but I guess that kobold necromancers should love it.

Shadow shift: ok, for an escape spell a longer teleport distance would be good, so as not to be overshadowed by phase door scrolls. As a side note, nowadays you can presumably make a buff that dramatically increases walking speed (say, by factor 10 for 2 turns), which could be the basis for an alternative type of escape mechanism.

Dispel life: my guess is that dropping the fail rate should fix it. The mana cost felt about right. In the late game, you can get rid of trolls with a few casts of this, but not really of anything more powerful. So there's still space for an effective Crush.

Crush: personally, I'd like this to be much much stronger, possibly for a higher mana cost. However, that could be a side effect of my personal play style. Something like: kill anything whose natural depth is at most 2 x Clvl - 50? In other words, necromancers of level 35, 40, 45, 50 would crush creatures from depth 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, respectively.

Things to look forward to as a druid shapeshifter: "You bite the hairy mold." Ewww.
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018, 11:42   #353
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
New builds are up on the build page for Windows and MacOS, with changes being:
  • Commanded monsters now melee other monsters
  • Changes to necromancers along the lines of my recent discussion with Voovus upthread

Note that I have not yet made shapechange properties appear on the character sheet, and have not done all the fixes (Banish Undead is unchanged, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
You could check how I implemented that for Necromancers and Summoners in PWMAngband.
I was already part way through my own plans, so just continued; I wonder how different the two are?
Old February 24, 2018, 23:22   #354
Voovus
Scout

Voovus is on a distinguished road
Game crashes very quickly with the new necromancer. (Windows version, gec620583.) Haven't encountered the crash with other characters, but only tested it for a few minutes.
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018, 00:59   #355
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voovus View Post
Game crashes very quickly with the new necromancer. (Windows version, gec620583.) Haven't encountered the crash with other characters, but only tested it for a few minutes.
When doing anything in particular? My initial guess is it's related to the Command spell.
Old February 25, 2018, 03:29   #356
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Crash found and fixed, will do an update a little later.
Old February 25, 2018, 05:41   #357
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

New Windows and MacOS builds now up on the build page, with these changes:
  • Crashes fixed
  • Player can learn about shape properties as they would for object properties
  • Shape properties now appear on the player resist screen
Probably worth noting how necromancers and darkness work now. I went with -2 CON in light (ie player is carrying a light, standing on a lit grid, or next to lava or a monster which gives off light) and +2 CON in the darkness.
Old February 26, 2018, 09:09   #358
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I was already part way through my own plans, so just continued; I wonder how different the two are?
Summoners have pure summon spells, so you get different "pets" from different spells (golems, vortices, hydras...). Necromancers have "control" spells, which only work on undead, so you find an undead monster, use a control spell on it, and make it your slave.
Old February 26, 2018, 19:53   #359
jevansau
Adept

jevansau is on a distinguished road
One odd bug I think I've seen with build 110 is that breaths that should move the player - gravity, inertia seem to be moving the breathing monster instead. I've definitely seen it with kavlax (in a vault if that matters), and I think with Inertia hounds. I don't currently have a save in a position to reproduce the issue.
jevansau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018, 20:24   #360
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post
One odd bug I think I've seen with build 110 is that breaths that should move the player - gravity, inertia seem to be moving the breathing monster instead. I've definitely seen it with kavlax (in a vault if that matters), and I think with Inertia hounds. I don't currently have a save in a position to reproduce the issue.
Confirmed, but I haven't worked out what's causing it yet.

EDIT: Found it, the teleport effect is getting the wrong parameters and blinking the monster instead of the player. Will work out the best way to fix it.

Last edited by Nick; February 26, 2018 at 20:52. Reason: Progress
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote