Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old May 19, 2011, 14:50   #71
Gockel
Apprentice

Gockel is on a distinguished road
just started another game today after experiencing a funny defeat on lvl100...

high-elf warrior because i wasn't in the mood for scumming the early lvls for see invis. as i was still a bit annoyed and not in the mood for playing the first lvls, i decided to do a complete diving game, taking every single stair down that i can find.

actually i expected it to end somewhere between lvl10 and 25 as i didn't consider it very probable to find FA early enough...

went strangely well, though, i had one close call around lvl 20 with an illusionist (?) who paralyzed me. fortunately he considered it safer to blink away shortly afterwards. i showed my gratitude in a very subtle way

anyway, thing is that after ~2 hours of playing i arrived now on lvl32 (with only a ring of FA and some weapons that provided the rest of the basic 4) and here i found two scrolls of acquirement laying neatly next to each other... and they kindly provided me with the shield of celegorm and the cap of thengel.

maybe not the most impressive find, but it was by far the most useful things they have ever given me.. gave me almost everything i need (basic4, blindness, confusion + some other stuff)...

i still believe i'll die from a poison breather sooner or later, but at the moment i enjoy my by far fastest game yet...
Gockel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 17:27   #72
Gockel
Apprentice

Gockel is on a distinguished road
just started another game today after experiencing a funny defeat on lvl100...

high-elf warrior because i wasn't in the mood for scumming the early lvls for see invis. as i was still a bit annoyed and not in the mood for playing the first lvls, i decided to do a complete diving game, taking every single stair down that i can find.

actually i expected it to end somewhere between lvl10 and 25 as i didn't consider it very probable to find FA early enough...

went strangely well, though, i had one close call around lvl 20 with an illusionist (?) who paralyzed me. fortunately he considered it safer to blink away shortly afterwards. i showed my gratitude in a very subtle way

anyway, thing is that after ~2 hours of playing i arrived now on lvl32 (with only a ring of FA and some weapons that provided the rest of the basic 4) and here i found two scrolls of acquirement laying neatly next to each other... and they kindly provided me with the shield of celegorm and the cap of thengel.

maybe not the most impressive find, but it was by far the most useful things they have ever given me.. gave me almost everything i need (basic4, blindness, confusion + some other stuff)...

i still believe i'll die from a poison breather sooner or later, but at the moment i enjoy this diving game
Gockel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 17:41   #73
scud
Swordsman

scud is on a distinguished road
Where did you find the Wand of Clone Post?
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 19:11   #74
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
Ironically, as I played the recent nightlies, I wondered what happened to the elemental brands on the rings... By the time I find them, they are incredibly useless. Especially on a randart game, when every decent weapon has 2 brands and a few slays, how is a branded ring anywhere near as powerful? I used one for a while until I realized it gave me no damage/brand bonus like I used to get. By the time they appear, everyone has the basic 4/5 elements covered for resists anyway. MAYBE I would use them if they randomly had immunity bonus, but no damage. Still, they appear so late, an artifact ring at that level will most likely be much more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Ah well, never mind. Don't feel you have to reply to that last bit, it was a general broadcast. There isn't a right answer to this stuff - there's no perfect way to balance objects, monsters, spells and everything else. All we can do is adjust a bit at a time and try not to overcompensate. But I do think removing stuff needs to be considered extremely carefully - I still think takk was wrong to remove the brands from the elemental rings, as they are now pretty much junk again (though that could be addressed by making them shallower), and there were other solutions to the brands being overpowered - I'd have made them x2 brands to start with, and watched to see if they then needed further adjustment. (This sub-thread was originally about whether to remove the less powerful slays like orc/troll/giant, which is why I got back to the topic of removing stuff. Definite no from me.)

YMMV; can't please all the people all the time. Etc.
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 20:00   #75
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scud View Post
Where did you find the Wand of Clone Post?
Looks like there was a slight DNA mutation when it was used, though.
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2011, 11:11   #76
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Yikes, just got Kelek's Grimoire from a scroll on dlvl 37 on my ironman mage. Feel like I now have a target on my back haven't even found book 4 yet. Well keepin my fingers crossed
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2011, 18:30   #77
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySquirrell View Post
Yikes, just got Kelek's Grimoire from a scroll on dlvl 37 on my ironman mage. Feel like I now have a target on my back haven't even found book 4 yet. Well keepin my fingers crossed
Nice one, but beware...I have killed more than 1 mage by using banishment too early.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2011, 04:20   #78
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Nice one, but beware...I have killed more than 1 mage by using banishment too early.
Lol, yeah I've done this a few times too with scrolls. Oh there's only 20 trolls, no problem : I'm going really carefully, useing banish for some of the more troublesome letters of the alphabet. g, v, Q and s, destructing the others if needed. I just found Ringil for the first time ever on level 46 :-) now I'm waiting for range to nuke me.

Last edited by UglySquirrell; August 10, 2011 at 10:18.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2011, 05:43   #79
Jay
Rookie

Jay is on a distinguished road
I'm still playing my hobbit rogue (he's here on the ladder) and had a couple scrolls of *Acquirement* that I just now read at level 105. The first one brought Luthien; the second, Cubragol. Amazing haul considering how useless those scrolls usually are at that level -- I mean, usually you get things that would have been very helpful at some stage of the game, but even items of Westernesse, Defenders, and Holy Avengers are of limited use at this stage. I'm pretty sure I'll find a place for Cubragol in my kit.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015, 00:32   #80
WingedEspeon
Rookie

WingedEspeon is on a distinguished road
I got The battle axe of Balli Stonehand from my second or third scroll of aquirment ever. Still pretty useless beacuese I have managed to enchant sting to (+7,+10) when I read the scroll on 30 something.
WingedEspeon is offline   Reply With Quote