Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 18, 2019, 13:17   #431
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
I've been having problems with crash on save (usually when going down stairs) with the last two builds but the latest is significantly worse. I'm ending up with incomplete .new files that seem to cut off at arbitrary points (not including everything that the character actually did), with the original savefile still stuck in its initial state (complete with Farmer Maggot showing up and dropping the same item every time). I can't get the current character off the shop level at all -- if I go downstairs, it crashes on save, and if I try to save first, it still crashes on save.

Savefile and .new files attached. Interestingly, three of the .new files turned up in C:\Program Files (x86)\!angband-4.1.3-424-gfb1a969bd\lib\user\save, and one of them turned up in C:\Users\meredith\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progr am Files (x86)\!angband-4.1.3-424-gfb1a969bd. (I stick an exclamation point in front of the folder I'm using so I know which one is the most recent. Hopefully that's not what's causing the issue.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Numa savefiles.zip (12.0 KB, 5 views)
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 00:22   #432
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglibertine View Post
Savefile and .new files attached.
The character you attached is dead - was that intended? Also, when you're providing a savefile when you've used randarts, attaching the randart file as well (it will be the newest file in your user\archive directory) makes my life easier.

EDIT: On the plus side, this did result in me finding a bug with incrementing the roman numeral after the player name when doing quickstart. It's just possible that this was the bug you were getting - was it happening after quickstarting a character and then going down stairs?

Last edited by Nick; May 19, 2019 at 00:43. Reason: Question
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 14:46   #433
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The character you attached is dead - was that intended? Also, when you're providing a savefile when you've used randarts, attaching the randart file as well (it will be the newest file in your user\archive directory) makes my life easier.
Noted, I'll remember that for next time. I've never tried to send savefiles before -- I got them up because my husband wanted to take a look. (I'm a tech writer, so my own coding/debugging skills are rudimentary at best, but he's refamiliarising himself with C for a new job after 18 years of COBOL/mainframe work, so he was interested in taking a stab at it.)

And yes, the character was dead. I was trying to start over from the savefile.

Quote:
EDIT: On the plus side, this did result in me finding a bug with incrementing the roman numeral after the player name when doing quickstart. It's just possible that this was the bug you were getting - was it happening after quickstarting a character and then going down stairs?
Yep, that's exactly what was happening -- I couldn't make it off the shop level, even saving before using stairs just crashed instantly. Glad it was useful.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 09:28   #434
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
I'm seeing a crash in one of the nightlies. Specifically, this one:
angband-84ffecf82ebd6f686fc90c80ac2d3f00a24ede13

Savefile should be attached. The character is trying to recharge a stack of Lightning Ball wands, one wand at a time. I've dropped one, recharged it, and moved to the side. I now again try to drop one Lightning Ball wand from my inventory stack (i.e. the sequence of commands "d", "n", "1"). The game aborts with the message "software bug".
Attached Files
File Type: zip User.bug.zip (12.2 KB, 8 views)
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 12:55   #435
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
I'm seeing a crash in one of the nightlies. Specifically, this one:
angband-84ffecf82ebd6f686fc90c80ac2d3f00a24ede13

Savefile should be attached. The character is trying to recharge a stack of Lightning Ball wands, one wand at a time. I've dropped one, recharged it, and moved to the side. I now again try to drop one Lightning Ball wand from my inventory stack (i.e. the sequence of commands "d", "n", "1"). The game aborts with the message "software bug".
Thanks, I think I have come across this one before but not been able to pin it down. I don't suppose you have a save before you dropped the first wand ?
Old May 20, 2019, 16:20   #436
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
im late to the party but, have rods of TO been removed from the nightly?

im gonna go with yes.

warrior meleeing a unique that drains charges AND summons when you only source of TO is from a wand. that's something that - my guess - wasnt thought of.

Last edited by Sky; May 20, 2019 at 16:32.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 16:35   #437
NightLizard
Rookie

NightLizard is on a distinguished road
I don't think so - I have a rod of TO right now (but I think I play the previous nightly).
NightLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 18:06   #438
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
I believe they're still there; I found one not in the most current nightly but I think the one before. They may have gotten more rare though; I don't see them much,
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 18:19   #439
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Last change to object allocations was January 2018, well not including books anyway
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 05:26   #440
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
Nick -
I looked into my bug a tiny bit, but decided that probably no one else is interested, so I moved the discussion to the Development group - http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthr...469#post138469

No, I don't have a savefile from before I dropped the first wand. But, if I *pick up* the wand that's already on the ground, I still hit the bug when I drop one wand, and then a second wand. See the other thread for some more details.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote