Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old October 27, 2011, 13:48   #101
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
I'm a little scared of Diablo-style things like Massive Maces of Massacre, but in principle I'm open to this kind of ego-item overhaul. It's basically a question aesthetics (and therefore taste), so there's no right or wrong, but I'm very attached to the quaint Tolkien/AD&D flavor of Vanilla and I'd be sad to see it go.

The other thing I'm worried about is ego items that are too junky or too close to regular items. For example the Daggers of Parrying [+2] basically add unnecessary verbiage to the game and nothing else. This is basically a question of balancing. I think that if you're going to add a suffix/prefix, it should MEAN something.

I think it would be cool to find, say, a Mithril Katana. But an Adamantite Scythe of Slicing of Westernesse is just too much. I guess I just hope that the finished product will be at least as elegant as the old/current one. (And yes, I know that Scythes of Slicing of Westernesse already exist, and I think they're a bit ridiculous )
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2011, 16:09   #102
Shockbolt
Knight

Shockbolt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Shockbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
I'm a little scared of Diablo-style things like Massive Maces of Massacre, but in principle I'm open to this kind of ego-item overhaul. It's basically a question aesthetics (and therefore taste), so there's no right or wrong, but I'm very attached to the quaint Tolkien/AD&D flavor of Vanilla and I'd be sad to see it go.

The other thing I'm worried about is ego items that are too junky or too close to regular items. For example the Daggers of Parrying [+2] basically add unnecessary verbiage to the game and nothing else. This is basically a question of balancing. I think that if you're going to add a suffix/prefix, it should MEAN something.

I think it would be cool to find, say, a Mithril Katana. But an Adamantite Scythe of Slicing of Westernesse is just too much. I guess I just hope that the finished product will be at least as elegant as the old/current one. (And yes, I know that Scythes of Slicing of Westernesse already exist, and I think they're a bit ridiculous )
I agree with the above, I also hope it won't move in the direction of Diablo-like items. I generally feel that weapons in Angband should be namewise equal to or less than what the artifact items and weapons are named, such as "Flame of the West".

Simple but efficient and quite nice. "A sharp Gondolin falchion of orc slaying" is more than good enough for me as an example for item/weaponry description, "names" should be reserved for unique items/weaponry. Sting, Glamdring, Phial of Galadriel to name just a few.

Having too many, too vivid names kinda spoils the fun of finding something out of the ordinary.