AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 6, 2014, 20:18   #11
seanym
Rookie

seanym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
Prompted by the recent discovery (thanks, elly!) that most of the posts from rec.games.moria and rec.games.roguelike.angband are available for download from archive.org, I started curating a collection of Usenet posts about Angband. Please add on if you can (I'd like to see notable variant announcements and discussions about game design and strategy, for example), and enjoy if you haven't seen them before. Most of the links below go to Google Groups individual post pages.
How strange - I was just reminiscing about Angband and thought I'd do a quick search, to find that there is still an active community for it - wow! 21 years since I sent out an email from the University of Warwick to announce its general release. Very glad to find out it is still being enjoyed today, I've just had a game myself for old times sake - it's funny how it comes back to you and how addictive it still is, despite it being about as basic as they come graphically.

Cheers all, Sean (Marsh).
seanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014, 08:45   #12
seanym
Rookie

seanym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
Prompted by the recent discovery (thanks, elly!) that most of the posts from rec.games.moria and rec.games.roguelike.angband are available for download from archive.org, I started curating a collection of Usenet posts about Angband. Please add on if you can (I'd like to see notable variant announcements and discussions about game design and strategy, for example), and enjoy if you haven't seen them before. Most of the links below go to Google Groups individual post pages.
Wow this brings back memories. For some reason, I thought I'd see if Angband was still being played and clearly it still has some popularity. Who would have thought that, 21 years ago, when we released the first version from the University of Warwick, it would still be being played so many years later. Just having a game to reminisce - it's funny how it all comes back to you so quickly, although I did just nearly suffer an embarrassing death to a Death Mold...

Cheers,
Sean (Marsh)
seanym is offline   Reply With Quote