Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old September 28, 2010, 08:30   #21
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Okay I'm intriqued by the "branching" stuff. If, for example, I'd code a version that has an option for unlimited home, option for no-buying except staples, and an option for no-selling (with concomitant cash drop increases), etc... does this git thing mean something for me? Could I have somehow get it "posted" as a development branch on the git-site side-by-side with the vanilla? Have a choice for people to download a compiled version of it so they can test it?
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2010, 09:07   #22
Hajo
Adept

Hajo is on a distinguished road
Most version control system help you in so far that they support automatic merging of changes to the main development line into your branch.
Old September 28, 2010, 15:28   #23
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
Okay I'm intriqued by the "branching" stuff. If, for example, I'd code a version that has an option for unlimited home, option for no-buying except staples, and an option for no-selling (with concomitant cash drop increases), etc... does this git thing mean something for me? Could I have somehow get it "posted" as a development branch on the git-site side-by-side with the vanilla? Have a choice for people to download a compiled version of it so they can test it?
The way this works is that you would clone the main Angband repo to create your own repo (ewert-repo). Then you could make changes, commit them with log messages and push them to your own repo. Other people could check out ewert-repo and try out your changes. Eventually either you could request that certain patches (collections of commits) be pulled back into the main repo (or we could just decide to do that after trying out your repo).

Your branch wouldn't be "official" in any real sense (it wouldn't get a nightly build unless someone set that up manually); the big difference is that instead of saying "I think you should build feature XYZ" or even "here's a giant patch with XYZ" you can just make that change in your own repo.

The problem with just having patches is that as Angband changes it becomes harder and harder to keep these patches in sync (and it can be confusing, especially when there are multiple versions with bugfixes and such). Git solves this problem by making every checkout it's own repository that can be added to, modified, etc.

Anyway, we'll see how it works in practice.

P.S. Setting up a site which tracks a bunch of people's git repo's, tries to autobuild a nightly, and reports whether the build works or not, could be pretty useful.
Old September 28, 2010, 16:08   #24
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, you can sign up to GitHub and go to http://github.com/takkaria/angband and click 'Fork', and then you'll have your very own branch of vanilla. You can then check it out locally, work on it and push the changes back to github.com/ewert/angband (or whatever your username is). You can also pull changes in from the official branch and keep up-to-date with changes in V.

GitHub doesn't provide for compiled versions, unless you upload them yourself, nor will it link to your repository from the Angband one, except if someone goes and looks at its forks page.
Old September 29, 2010, 07:45   #25
ewert
Knight

Sounds good enough. Now too bad am bit worn out by work, but sounds definitely something I'll do ...
Old September 30, 2010, 11:25   #26
ewert
Knight

Is the current master branch in tak/angband github broken?

Forked it to myself, used gitgui to get it, compiled it and commands do no get parsed through at startup. I did change some files, but for the life of me can not see how it could break anything at starting char creation ... Will try a brank spanking clear git version compile ...
Old September 30, 2010, 11:36   #27
ewert
Knight

Confirmed on git master copy, compiling it and cmd parsing is broken, can't proceed past first screen of male/female choice nor options at creation.
Old September 30, 2010, 12:37   #28
ewert
Knight

Okay spamming, noticed it on the previous change comments that they aren't working. =)

... now to figure how to get those earlier working versions from git next.
Old September 30, 2010, 15:57   #29
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Okay spamming, noticed it on the previous change comments that they aren't working. =)

... now to figure how to get those earlier working versions from git next.
oh, stupid me, I didn't test the birth screen. i'll get on that next week when I have some spare time.
Old October 23, 2010, 23:46   #30
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
I'm trying to figure out how to use git and I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

I have a successful fork but I don't know how to put my changes in. I feel like I did this wrong, as I downloaded a copy of the source, and played around with the code locally. I probably should have done things differently...right?

I have no experience with web or collaborative development, so I apologize for the stupid questions.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote