Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2010, 17:26   #31
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,791
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Which is to be expected, frankly; the main bonus that uniques have to their drops is that they bypass the roll to see if the item is good (i.e. they can't drop average or cursed gear), which happens more or less automatically by 1000' or so anyway. Otherwise, they're vastly outnumbered by the normal monsters.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2010, 19:14   #32
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,002
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
That's cool but hard to read. The text cleanup will be nice. A quick glance, confirms what I've always thought. A vast majority of artifacts are dropped by everyday-in-depth-monsters, not uniques, not vaults.
the monster total includes unique drops as well. However, the unique total *may* be inflated since each time a level is generated, no uniques have been killed yet. Something that's not true in an actual game. I have no way of getting around this.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2010, 19:52   #33
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
the monster total includes unique drops as well. However, the unique total *may* be inflated since each time a level is generated, no uniques have been killed yet. Something that's not true in an actual game. I have no way of getting around this.
Instead of generating individual levels, why not generate a whole dungeon, levels 1-100? Then if a unique is killed at level 23, it can't be generated again later.

Without wishing to oversimplify things, is it much more than a 1-100 loop over the individual level generation?
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2010, 20:39   #34
Estie
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,634
Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Instead of generating individual levels, why not generate a whole dungeon, levels 1-100? Then if a unique is killed at level 23, it can't be generated again later.

Without wishing to oversimplify things, is it much more than a 1-100 loop over the individual level generation?
And while youre at it, if an artifact has been dropped at level 23, it can't be generated again later.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2010, 00:29   #35
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,002
fizzix is on a distinguished road
I'll think about how to do a 1-100 simulation result. In the meantime, I have a fairly completed version up on git. I ran a 5000 iterations per level sim (takes about 5 minutes) for a standarts case, and the results are included here.

Everything is in expected value/level.

My sim found the one ring 0.92% of the time at dlevel 100 and at no shallower levels.
Attached Files
File Type: zip stats.zip (21.9 KB, 59 views)
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2010, 16:33   #36
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,002
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Hmm, it seems a messed up the gold, and forgot to include prayer/spell books. I guess there's still some more work to be done.

@magnate: I thought about your cycling through the levels, an I think I can implement it with some (relatively) minor changes. There are two possibilities:

1: change all the data storage elements to arrays (there are a lot of them)
2: Open and rewrite the log file. (is this slow? requires some code that I'm not sure how to do...yet)

Both also need stuff to keep artifacts lost and uniques dead (easy) and a reset of all the artifacts to available when we go back to dlevel 1 (probably easy?)

I'm leaning towards approach 2...but with either approach I don't think I'll get to it this week... (I will try to fix the gold problem and add spell books though.)

edit: fixed gold and added books during lunch break. Included a new randart sim.
Attached Files
File Type: zip randart_stat.zip (21.9 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by fizzix; December 13, 2010 at 18:40.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2010, 20:34   #37
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Hmm, it seems a messed up the gold, and forgot to include prayer/spell books. I guess there's still some more work to be done.

@magnate: I thought about your cycling through the levels, an I think I can implement it with some (relatively) minor changes. There are two possibilities:

1: change all the data storage elements to arrays (there are a lot of them)
2: Open and rewrite the log file. (is this slow? requires some code that I'm not sure how to do...yet)

Both also need stuff to keep artifacts lost and uniques dead (easy) and a reset of all the artifacts to available when we go back to dlevel 1 (probably easy?)

I'm leaning towards approach 2...but with either approach I don't think I'll get to it this week... (I will try to fix the gold problem and add spell books though.)

edit: fixed gold and added books during lunch break. Included a new randart sim.
Cool. I would seriously recommend #1 over #2 - 100-element arrays are easy to deal with and far quicker than opening and closing files. Yes, artifact tracking is easy: use a_ptr->created, and just cycle through the artifacts setting it back to 0 between each sim.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2010, 04:33   #38
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,002
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Cool. I would seriously recommend #1 over #2 - 100-element arrays are easy to deal with and far quicker than opening and closing files. Yes, artifact tracking is easy: use a_ptr->created, and just cycle through the artifacts setting it back to 0 between each sim.
Finished.

Unfortunately, the output file now has 100 levels instead of one and I cannot attach it here because of size constraints.

I'll write some basic post-processing routines soon. Probably tomorrow, too tired tonight... I actually planned to *play* some angband...that sure didn't happen.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2010, 19:37   #39
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,002
fizzix is on a distinguished road
btw 1000 iterations without randart regenning takes 4 minutes and 45 seconds on my laptop.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2010, 21:10   #40
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,002
fizzix is on a distinguished road
added an option to regen randarts after each sim. I truly didn't trust Magnate that it was going to be as slow as it is. Damn.

50 iterations took 15 s without randart regen and 285 seconds with randart regen. That's almost 20 times longer!

Also fixed a couple bugs and pushed to git. Probably won't be doing any serious work on this for a while. Although I don't consider tracking new items to be serious work. That can be done in about 2-3 minutes.

Last edited by fizzix; December 15, 2010 at 21:43.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
level 50, now what? stephen Vanilla 12 September 9, 2010 18:23
Time On a Level z118 Vanilla 7 March 20, 2010 16:38
Lowest Level Arphod Vanilla 1 December 14, 2009 05:21
Most 'Specials' on a level? Jenks Vanilla 7 September 2, 2008 01:12
Level feelings curinor Variants 0 April 30, 2008 20:17


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.