AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 13, 2011, 15:58   #41
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
OK, I've filed a bug using this information but it's going to take a while to fix. The correct fix is in game-cmd.c, you were right before, it needs a safety check to make sure all the relevant bits of the command are still valid when repeating it.
Thank you for doing that.. but, all my attempts to perform a NULL pointer check in game-cmd.c failed---which is what threw me off so often. The repeat command sequence is quite elusive in the code. While most of the commands are well-defined in game-cmd.h/.c, how the code handles 'n' is not trivial, in my opinion (as a weak C-coder).

Somehow, even if you put in checks in game-cmd.c, the code still circumvents those checks and repeats the command. I still haven't mastered the flow of the code yet to comprehend how "assert()" is still being called even if a I insert a check for a NULL pointer in game-cmd.c or even into cmd-obj.c ahead of that line. Maybe checking o_ptr is not the answer...?

-SBux-
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 18:55   #42
Spacebux
Adept

Quaff crash.

BTW, I confirmed it also follows that quaffing a stack of potions off the floor will also get your the crash, since quaffing is also handled by the same generic do_cmd_use() routine.
Old May 13, 2011, 20:45   #43
Spacebux
Adept

Fixed!

Fixed. This fixes crashes from eating a stack of food off the floor, quaffing potions off the floor, and reading scrolls off the floor when pressing 'n' or CTRL-V when the item count reaches 0.

In cmd-obj.c, insert:
void do_cmd_use(cmd_code code, cmd_arg args[])
{
int item = args[0].item;
object_type *o_ptr = object_from_item_idx(item);
int effect;

if (!item_is_available(item, NULL, (USE_INVEN | USE_FLOOR))) {
msg("That item is not within your reach.");
return;
}

bool ident = FALSE, used = FALSE;
bool was_aware = object_flavor_is_aware(o_ptr);
int dir = 5;

Maybe that is not the best place for it, but that check prevents the code from going further, generating segmentation faults and worse.

-SBux-
Old May 13, 2011, 20:53   #44
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Stats View Post
I have branded a few stacks of ammo with the spell from Tensers, but when I examine them, they do not say that they are "branded" nor does the damage rating show that they do extra damage to monsters susceptible to their element. They do, however, get named according to their branding, and they can't be re-branded with another element. Ammo that is created already branded seems to function normally.

Version string is v3.2.0-820-g49911e7-dirtybash-4.1. Savefile attached (affected ammo is in quiver slots n, p, and r).
Oooh, well spotted - I think this is an obscure result of the object flags changes, because IIRC the ammo branding spell sets the ego type directly. Will check this.

EDIT: Yes - got it - thanks again. Fix will be in the next autobuilt version (but that might not be for a week or so).

Last edited by Magnate; May 13, 2011 at 21:38.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 00:19   #45
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Very minor message formatting issue

Playing current nightly, after dropping artifact:

> You drop The Lucerne Hammer 'Turmil' (2d5) (+10,+11) [+8] <+4> (t).
> You no longer have the Lucerne Hammers 'Turmil' (2d5) (+10,+11) [+8] <+4> (t).
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 19:28   #46
Spacebux
Adept

Stone-to-Mud Crash.

Magnate, I think this one is for you (apologies if it is not..!):

Your new cavern levels do not have a Perma-wall surrounding the edges of the level. Hence, one can cause havoc (i.e., crashes) when digging or casting stone-to-mud at the edge of the level.

"Failed assertion: oidx <= z_info -> o_max at line 4281 of file object/obj-util.c"

This is the error message that pops up when you tunnel or attempt to remove the wall edge.

-SBux-
Old May 15, 2011, 19:36   #47
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebux View Post
Magnate, I think this one is for you (apologies if it is not..!):

Your new cavern levels do not have a Perma-wall surrounding the edges of the level. Hence, one can cause havoc (i.e., crashes) when digging or casting stone-to-mud at the edge of the level.
That is my fault. I will fix it, thanks for reporting it!
Old May 16, 2011, 03:39   #48
SSK
Adept

SSK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
There is a new build of the development version of Angband. (I am trying to avoid the term "nightly," for reasons that should be clear.) I've started a new thread for it so that we can retire the very lengthy old one. Changes since the 23 April 2011 build:
  • Bug fixes: Curlicues Vault layout corrected; out of depth items can no longer reduce level feelings; out of depth item creation deep in the dungeon no longer crashes the game; ego item creation now recognizes when flags are already attached to a pvals; detect invisible now detects monsters again
  • Targetting displays a path from the player to the target.
  • Monster drops are created when the monster spawns.
  • Level feeling boosts from artifacts and ego items are more consistent.
  • The game records more specifically the origin of objects lying on the floor (special room, labyrinth, cavern, pit, vault, rubble).
  • Refactoring related to object flags, to the test harness, and to the stats module
  • Code cleanup and a function length utility
  • Artifact description edits

The teleport other description change is not in the version currently up on rephial (sorry, SSK!), but I do have a change committed, and hope to have that change in a new version on rephial later today.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Please follow up in this thread with any reports you may have.
Been playing a later version I guess

1) The description of the teleport other BOLT is now correct and not misleading. THANK YOU MYSHKIN (BTW my new character hasn't located Eonwe, but just found AULE HELLO! With Dor-Lomin, Dal-i-Thalion, ring o' speed, and other goodies, I think he's going to the bottom--carrying LIBERAL teleport level and some *destruction* now. TO is for losers without beaming). Playing more conservatively as well. I hope he doesn't go bye-bye due to a program bug.

2) Aha! now I understand why monsters are now dropping artifacts on superb levels rather than on-floor.

3) Minor issue: accents in item (artifact) descriptions still don't display right on my Mac version, and lack of spaces between some words has now cropped up. I notice the Mumakil plural and Craban/Crebain singular/plural thing hasn't yet been addressed. Trying to get you a screenshot example: OK attached the description of Dor-Lomin illustrating accent problem as well as spacing problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dor-Lomin.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	654  
SSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 07:00   #49
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSK View Post
3) Minor issue: accents in item (artifact) descriptions still don't display right on my Mac version, and lack of spaces between some words has now cropped up. I notice the Mumakil plural and Craban/Crebain singular/plural thing hasn't yet been addressed. Trying to get you a screenshot example: OK attached the description of Dor-Lomin illustrating accent problem as well as spacing problem.
The spaces are my fault; I failed to add them in some cases when I edited the artifact descriptions. Thanks for the report. I've fixed them in development.

I am aware of the plural and accent issues, and fixing them is on my to-do list.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 18:58   #50
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Here's my comments from my previous character, who was running...hm, not sure what version, but I'll try to trim out stuff that I know has been fixed. Of course, much of this is irrelevant to the nightlies and more just musings on game balance.

* If you have a stack of two different kinds of money, it shows up as &. Seems like money could be consolidated, or just show as the most valuable of the resident types

* Lesser Recharging sucks. At clvl 35 you have odds of 1 in 3.27 of destroying a Wand of Firebolts with 3 charges in it; 1 in 5.26 if it's empty. Those increase to 1 in 8.3 (for an empty wand at that character level) for Greater Recharging.

* When you ignore torches, one of your options is "Ignore: All Wooden Torch".

* The various elemental wands have wildly varying damage ratings. Fireball wands are 2.25x better than lightning ball wands. That seems excessive at some level.

* I've seen numerous times that walls aren't present. E.g. an entire row taken out of a vault (replaced by empty space), or cross-shaped rooms whose inner room has holes in the corners.

* Monsters can teleport into vaults, e.g. via Rift or Teleport Away.

* Comments get truncated when saved to file. E.g. I have a comment "Well, it *was* guarded by water trolls, so I guess I got what". The line limit when writing a comment should be adjusted to suit the line limit in the file, or vice versa.

* The damage boosts for wands from magic device skill should be reflected in their descriptions (if only as "You get a 1.35x multiplier to this damage"). Drain Life and Annihilation are awesome wands -- Drain Life beats everything in Raal's, and Annihilation beats Mana Storm.

* ?Acquirement can generate squelched items (e.g. dungeon books), making it look like nothing happened. Of course, it shouldn't be guaranteed to generate non-squelched stuff...

* Maeglin gives less experience than Khamul. What.

* Recasting Haste Self doesn't reset the duration. Very irritating, since if you cast it awhile back and are about to start a big fight, you need to wait for it to expire before recasting.

* Stone to Mud wakes enemies that it passes through; Trap-Door Destruction doesn't. I guess because StM has the potential to harm enemies?

* Glaurung is able to breathe on me from here. Intended?

* Boots of Elvenkind seem not very worthwhile now for how rare they are, since they consistently have bad speed boosts. More common or more speed (3-6?), one of the two.

* Qlzqqlzuup drops various ordinary items (i.e. not guaranteed good). Intended?

* Being able to cast Banishment renders graveyards and zoos trivially plunderable for their floor items. Of course this is only an endgame mage trick, so I don't know that it's worth fixing. NPP handles this by giving the items to the monsters in the nest, but then there's less temptation to try to clear the thing out.

* Randart names: Iron-Shod Boots of Gondolin; Quarterstaff 'Moron'.

* Morgoth really can't handle permanent walls at all; he got stuck ludicrously easily in a Bubbles vault. I'm guessing this has something to do with wall-eaters ignoring walls for purposes of pathing; shouldn't they not ignore permanent walls?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote