AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old June 10, 2011, 11:26   #101
jens
Swordsman

jens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä View Post
First version for items. Not too different, some changes might feel controversial, especially removals of few artifacts (commented out). I also added one item.

Lots of small tweaks, rarities, PVAL:s, things like that.
I have an issue with these changes...

The ego item:
Lantern of True Sight, with:
F:RES_BLIND | SEE_INVIS

This is, compared to the artifact lights, a very powerful item. In some cases maybe even the most powerful light source. This means that for the largest part of the game (or the whole game) I need to continue using a lantern, with the hassle of filling it up with oil, and keeping oil in my inventory. This is a part of the game I am always happy to leave behind when I find the Phial. Besides I won't be able to squelsh lanterns... I'd like to remove this, or possibly further improve it with NO_FUEL.

Oh, and by the way, a side effect from 'removing' the Palantir. Randarts still use the Palantir when designing artifacts. I haven't checked if that design is also allocated, but do randarts check the allocation of the original artifact?

There is also a definition in src/defines.h for ART_PALANTIR that is not used anywhere. Not a new issue, but seemed apropriate to mention it ;-)

It would be nice to add another artifact light source, can people think of apropriate names for this?
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011, 11:53   #102
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
I have an issue with these changes...

The ego item:
Lantern of True Sight, with:
F:RES_BLIND | SEE_INVIS

This is, compared to the artifact lights, a very powerful item.
That has been into edit-files for some time now. It isn't used (commented out).
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011, 11:53   #103
kaypy
Swordsman

kaypy is on a distinguished road
If you have to make a difficult decision about whether to use it, then it is perfectly balanced.

Oh, but it appears to be commented out, so not actually in the game at the moment...
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011, 12:11   #104
jens
Swordsman

jens is on a distinguished road
Sorry Timo for implying it was your change... You claimed to have added 1 item, and I saw two additions, so I guessed you added two items. I now checked the actual commit, and it's Magnate who added the lantern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypy View Post
If you have to make a difficult decision about whether to use it, then it is perfectly balanced.

Oh, but it appears to be commented out, so not actually in the game at the moment...
The lantern is in the game in staging, not yet in the nightlies.

It's not a difficult decision, I will always choose the lantern (until I have RES_BLIND covered somewhere else). The problem is that it will increase tedium, and obsoletes the Phial and the Star.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2011, 09:53   #105
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
Sorry Timo for implying it was your change... You claimed to have added 1 item, and I saw two additions, so I guessed you added two items. I now checked the actual commit, and it's Magnate who added the lantern.

The lantern is in the game in staging, not yet in the nightlies.

It's not a difficult decision, I will always choose the lantern (until I have RES_BLIND covered somewhere else). The problem is that it will increase tedium, and obsoletes the Phial and the Star.
Not for most people it won't. The lantern only has light radius 2, and doesn't have an activation. RES_BLIND isn't a no-brainer - blindness attacks are not all that common (especially once you find RES_LIGHT or RES_DARK), and blindness is easy to cure.

Yes, it's powerful, but it does come with the added hassle of needing to carry oil. You choose.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote