Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2011, 19:58   #31
Napsterbater
Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 177
Napsterbater is on a distinguished road
The idea of level feelings have nothing to whether a level's 'interesting' or not. Angband's an interesting game, all the levels are interesting, and have unique challenges. Some of the levels have sparse monsters, and items, some of them are loaded with them. That's pretty interesting all on its own. Making all the levels generate OoD monsters/items wouldn't make things any more difficult, it would just make things easier.

The decision of whether to explore a particular level or not has nothing to do with a level's 'interestingness', but on other grounds like whether you're looking for a particular resistance/stat/piece of gear, looking for easy monsters to kill, or if you're diving fast. A superb level feeling is just one of those possible reasons, not the only one. I think it's an interesting mechanic, exploring a level just to find out what was generated. Also, it would suck to have a Robe of Permanence drop at 1650' and have no indication that it was ever there whilst diving to get to 2000'.
__________________
This thread, it needs more rage. -- Napstopher Walken
Napsterbater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011, 20:52   #32
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,796
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napsterbater View Post
The idea of level feelings have nothing to whether a level's 'interesting' or not. Angband's an interesting game, all the levels are interesting, and have unique challenges. Some of the levels have sparse monsters, and items, some of them are loaded with them. That's pretty interesting all on its own. Making all the levels generate OoD monsters/items wouldn't make things any more difficult, it would just make things easier.
Making the game always generate OoD monsters would make it harder, since the gear you find won't be as good as what you'd have when those monsters are in-depth. Making the game always generate OoD items makes it easier, of course.

Quote:
Also, it would suck to have a Robe of Permanence drop at 1650' and have no indication that it was ever there whilst diving to get to 2000'.
No, it wouldn't, because you'd never know. Unless the game taunted you with that tidbit of information, of course.

...heh, that would be amusing as a bit of after-death info -- all the awesome gear that was generated but never found:
* At 300', missed a Potion of Strength
* At 800', missed the Rapier 'Forasgil'
* At 1350', missed a Ring of Speed (+7), the Star of Elendil, the Soft Leather Armor 'Hithlomir' (greater vault: Hellpit)

and so on...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011, 21:01   #33
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
...heh, that would be amusing as a bit of after-death info -- all the awesome gear that was generated but never found:
* At 300', missed a Potion of Strength
* At 800', missed the Rapier 'Forasgil'
* At 1350', missed a Ring of Speed (+7), the Star of Elendil, the Soft Leather Armor 'Hithlomir' (greater vault: Hellpit)

and so on...
If you play with Preserve off, it already does that for artifacts ...
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011, 21:06   #34
Napsterbater
Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 177
Napsterbater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Making the game always generate OoD monsters would make it harder, since the gear you find won't be as good as what you'd have when those monsters are in-depth.
Most people just avoid OoD monsters. They can't make the game harder if you never fight them.
__________________
This thread, it needs more rage. -- Napstopher Walken
Napsterbater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011, 21:21   #35
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,796
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napsterbater View Post
Most people just avoid OoD monsters. They can't make the game harder if you never fight them.
Most people try to avoid OoD monsters. They still make the game harder by requiring the player to dance around them, as well as deal with them when avoidance fails.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 18:57   #36
Starhawk
Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indianapolis IN, USA
Posts: 246
Starhawk is on a distinguished road
"Premonitions of death appall you! This place is murderous, but you are unsure if it will be worthwhile."

Ack!! Love the new level messages.
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level feelings not quite there Max Stats Vanilla 3 June 16, 2011 12:49
Level feelings again (to use at all?) Chud Vanilla 10 March 5, 2011 15:11
New approach to level feelings miyazaki Vanilla 8 October 15, 2009 22:02
Level Feelings patch CunningGabe Development 3 March 3, 2009 14:59
Level feelings curinor Variants 0 April 30, 2008 20:17


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.