AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old November 17, 2011, 22:24   #11
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
In my opinion, the problem with traps is the discovery mechanic. So the simple solution here is to make trap discovery automatic. In other words, traps should never be hidden; they are revealed instantly when the player enters LOS of them.
I don't mean to belittle the challenge of designing a non-trivial, non-binary trap detection scheme, but this just feels wrong. Angband just wouldn't be the same without the exquisite agony of killing some important monster, walking over to pick up the loot, and falling through a trap door you forgot to detect.

edit- I'd really like to see the turret type traps in V. Maybe also a rolling boulder type. I also had a kind of crazy idea for a trap- a trap of transmutation. It would randomly change an item in your backpack into some other substance. If gold, you'd get a "gold ingot" in your inventory, heavy but valuable. If lead, just a worthless hunk. If you can identify the trap and have the use for gold, you can throw an item onto the trap and see what you get.

Last edited by bio_hazard; November 17, 2011 at 22:31.
bio_hazard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2011, 22:32   #12
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
I should generally think making the trap situation robust and thematic is a good way to go about things---take a page from Brogue at the least.

Instead of funneling everybody towards a catchall tool/spell/stat, why not have each lead with their best to varying nuanced degrees? The Wise know enough to leave something alone, the Strong not a damn thing aside from smashing it as hard as they can so as to break the thing, etc. I also favor the notion of just having them be a Vault concern.

In general, I see Angband as being about a theme, a personality to it, moreso than Adventures in Mathletics and Checklists. Math can get things really screwed up when such precise wranglings lord over all----look what happened to Portralis in the not distant past where things go so out of hand with numbers, not intent/situations, a wholesale re-do of sorts had to get underway and is now slowly coming back in Alpha-form.

It is fine to want to support Angband as a historical notion, but I would like to imagine much of what makes Angband "Angband" isn't rooted so much in dogma and sacrosanct anachronisms of gameplay-user notions, like Nethack or some such, but rather core elements and good times beget by solo and shared camaraderie of the various exploits.

Venerate the Spirit, not the Body, or some such. Shockbolt's fine work alongside and/all UI enhancements should help to open many good avenues to grow the community and encourage good times to be had by all.
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2011, 22:41   #13
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
One the more general theme of Vanilla development, along with the questions in the OP, maybe the "traditionalists" here can discuss Vanilla Angband should be. In the whole scope of roguelikes, some of them much more complex in a variety of different ways (quests, maps and levels, character options, items), some of them much simpler, what niche does Angband carve out? Whatever it is, it should do that as well as possible.
bio_hazard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2011, 00:38   #14
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Traps, trap disarming and detection.
Take it to the V4 forum!

[EDIT: or to be more verbose: this thread seems to suggest replacing a long-established V mechanic with a whole bunch of untested thought-up-on-the-spur-of-the-moment alternatives: I thought that was exactly what we were trying to get away from.]

A.

Last edited by Antoine; November 18, 2011 at 00:46.
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2011, 05:43   #15
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
For that, the Strawberry approach(?) where searching skill goes up with gained levels would make searching useful again.

T.
My problem with that skill is not the skill itself, just that it works only on adjacent squares. It should be LoS -thing (visual range thing). Then it would really matter.

[EDIT] typo corrected.

Last edited by Timo Pietilš; November 18, 2011 at 06:00.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2011, 05:52   #16
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with Timo's description of the problem, and I think several of the proposed solutions would work very well.

I would happily merge any of these strategies into V4 if someone implemented one of them. With strong consensus I'd merge any of them into V if they played well in V4 first.

I've been very busy this fall so I will make no promises, but I think it's an area where we could quickly see some drastic improvement.
Old November 18, 2011, 05:53   #17
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
I'm not sure that searching is really a salvageable mechanic. Any character will stop using the unreliable method as soon as they have something reliable.
As I said in my original post, remove the reliable method. Extend search as skill to LoS.

With poor searching skill you might still stumble upon some traps, but that would be acceptable price of that skill being poor one. Helmet of seeing and amulets of searching would have valuable flag then.

With light radius of three you have at least three turns before you step on one, which means that search skill of 50% should have quite good probability to detect the trap before you actually step on one. This also would mean that you probably step on traps in early levels quite a lot more.
Old November 18, 2011, 05:59   #18
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Take it to the V4 forum!

[EDIT: or to be more verbose: this thread seems to suggest replacing a long-established V mechanic with a whole bunch of untested thought-up-on-the-spur-of-the-moment alternatives: I thought that was exactly what we were trying to get away from.]

A.
This is for debating what should we do for the vanilla, not for a variant based on vanilla.

I have brought up one thing that could be fixed. I haven't yet seen any other posts about same thing.

Then if there is some sort of consensus that this is something that could/should be done, then test it in v4, I'm not against that.
Old November 18, 2011, 06:28   #19
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
That sounds a better process.

Hey, if we want searching to be an interesting thing, then we need there to be more pattern about where traps are found.

In the extreme, if every space is equally likely to conceal a trap, the player will end up searching at every move (boring) or never searching (unsatisfactory).

it would be better if you could look at the dungeon layout and guess where a trap is likely to be. This is already true for vaults, but not so much, I think, for rooms/corridors.

So perhaps the trap placement algorithm needs to be part of the solution.

A.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:40   #20
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
it would be better if you could look at the dungeon layout and guess where a trap is likely to be. This is already true for vaults, but not so much, I think, for rooms/corridors.

So perhaps the trap placement algorithm needs to be part of the solution.

A.
It seems to me that traps should be added to a level after everything else has been generated, and go in squares around doorways, staircases and floor objects. Traps should be protecting something, not just randomly stuck in the middle of the floor.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote