Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 11, 2018, 22:46   #71
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Stopping one square away is better, since you can see what it is before reaching it. Unless you do auto-pickup, you won't know necessarily know why you stopped. My one complaint: If you keep running when you stop next to stairs, you run right over top of them without stopping. This is particularly annoying on android, where tap-running is the default way to navigate the dungeon.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2018, 09:38   #72
Narry
Scout

Narry is on a distinguished road
If I was the dictator maintainer (and a super duper programmer), I would make these changes in the next version:

- remove magic mushroom patches, they're nothing but an annoyance
- remove nexus quylthulgs, they're nothing but an annoyance (especially when exploring a vault and you have a level feeling of X-9 or X-8)
- remove hand, foot and skull drujs, they're hardly anything but an annoyance
- a warrior should not get a good level feeling when a high level prayer / spellbook is created on a level, same thing about green prayer books for mages/rogues/rangers and red spellbooks for priests and paladins
Narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2018, 10:58   #73
Huqhox
Apprentice

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narry View Post
If I was the dictator maintainer (and a super duper programmer), I would make these changes in the next version:

They are there to teach novice players about the mechanics of confusion and so serve a purpose. For me they aren't even an issue

Quote:
- remove nexus quylthulgs, they're nothing but an annoyance (especially when exploring a vault and you have a level feeling of X-9 or X-8)
They are annoying; I'd rather give nexus resistance a chance of avoiding the teleport, or reduce their chance of casting teleport on you. They provide an interesting challenge of how to approach the area they are in

Quote:
Oh no they are the turrets of Angband and again give a different challenge to just walking up and wailing on every creature you come across

Quote:
- a warrior should not get a good level feeling when a high level prayer / spellbook is created on a level, same thing about green prayer books for mages/rogues/rangers and red spellbooks for priests and paladins
I'll agree with that one. I know Nick has already reduces the drop rates for books which can't be used by the player; this might be the next logical change along that line

Of course this just my 2p/2c and mileage my vary
Old November 26, 2018, 13:47   #74
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
High level drops can still be useful to those using selln
Old November 26, 2018, 15:20   #75
Huqhox
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
High level drops can still be useful to those using selln
Indeed they can. Should that affect the level feeling though? Maybe so as 'there are some good treasures here'. You could always leave it for those with selling on
Old November 26, 2018, 15:27   #76
Sphara
Apprentice

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nexus quylthulg is mostly just a super annoying monster. Hard-to-detect teleport away machine. But non-resistible teleport also makes it potentially one of the most dangerous critter, depending on a situation developed on the level ofc.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2018, 21:37   #77
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Okay, now I want a foot druj, which unlike the other ones is mobile. (the variety you missed was the eye druj, by the way)

As for your other suggestions, my advice is to try to internalize the fact that there's an infinite supply of dungeon levels, so the contents of any one level (or indeed any portion of any one level) are not special. It makes no particular difference if you ditch one level halfway through; you can make an unlimited supply of statistically identical levels. It helps (when trying to learn this lesson) to turn level feelings off, since they do nothing but encourage you to think about what makes this one level special. It's not special. No level is special.

Once you've learned this lesson, you'll be far more willing to abandon a level if it has something you don't want, and far less bothered about getting kicked off a level by a monster with a teleport-level spell.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2018, 11:13   #78
Adam
Scout

Adam is on a distinguished road
That is true Derakon, with a few exceptions. I think most of us had the experience when enlightenment showed something you really needed (missing dungeon book, an unknown ring type when you know it must be a ring of power etc) and you can't get near the precious loot inside a perma-wall vault because it is guarded by a nexus q. That's annoying for sure. If it's a forced descent game, it can really hurt.
I still would not remove them, they are part of the challenge. But I can understand if someone gets upset after such an encounter
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2018, 11:22   #79
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The last in your list is the only one requiring code changes, so you don't actually need to be a super duper coder.

I also 2nd the addition of foot drujs. They could have stinking cloud as their main attack spell.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2018, 11:41   #80
Huqhox
Apprentice

Sounds like foot drujs are up for inclusion in the monster list overhaul!

You might say they could be a shoe-in

(And no I'm not proud of that)