Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Oook!

Old November 11, 2007, 19:15   #1
JamesDoyle
Apprentice

JamesDoyle is on a distinguished road
Angband User Manual Wiki

Hi all

I've been playing Angband for quite a while now, and evetually recently got my first completion. I had promised myself that when I had managed that I would attempt to write an up-to-date User manual, pulling together as much of the information that's available in the various help, info and edit files, and filling in gaps and answering questions I had come up with during playing.

A few days ago I discovered this site, and the beginnings of the UserManual wiki; I decided that, as someone else had begun the job, rather than start from scratch I would build on their good work.

I'm currently (re-)writing the pages on character generation, and could do with the following questions being answered:

What are the character's height and weight measured in? I know it doesn't matter, but if there is an answer, I want to put it in.
What are the attributes labelled Status and Maximize?
What is the difference between Fight and Melee?
And a more general one - is there a list somewhere of the various descriptive ratings for the secondary skills such as Stealth: e.g. Fair, Very Good, Legendary, etc..

There'll be more questions as I work my way through the manual but those will do for now; also, if anyone wants to look at the pages and critique my style or point out errors, please do so.

P.S. Two points about the wiki itself - can it include images, and can you do internal links within a page? I can't see mention of such in the HowTo Format page.
JamesDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2007, 19:45   #2
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Height I believe is measured in inches, while weight is measured in kilotons. Oops, I thought I was playing Space Empires for a moment; I believe it's measured in pounds

Status means "social status" which is rolled randomly (though I think it's affected by race) and determines your character's default description text (you know, like "You are a child of a Serf and are a credit to the family.") It used to also determine how much gold you start with...

Fight includes only bonuses which apply to both melee and ranged combat, while Melee includes melee-specific bonuses as well.
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2007, 20:14   #3
JamesDoyle
Apprentice

Thanks for that!

Hmm, I thought that inches and pounds were most likely, although some of my characters seem to have very odd height/weight combinations!

Status seems to be on a scale of 0-100, is that right? And presumably not linear, so you're much less likely to be royal.
Old November 11, 2007, 23:20   #4
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Where is that Wiki? It certainly is not part of this website. But I would be happy to link to it.
Old November 12, 2007, 00:04   #5
Faust
Adept

Faust is on a distinguished road
I believe he's talking about the one on Anderw's site http://rephial.org/wiki/UserManual
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2007, 00:15   #6
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Aaah! Then it's official
Old November 12, 2007, 10:47   #7
JamesDoyle
Apprentice

Ha, sorry, I'd clicked through and hadn't noticed the domain name change!
Old November 15, 2007, 13:27   #8
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDoyle View Post
I'm currently (re-)writing the pages on character generation, and could do with the following questions being answered:
Can I just ascertain that you are actually rewriting from scratch? If so, there's a chance to get the licencing for the documentation into a better state than it currently is -- I'd like to have it under something less restrictive than the current licence, which counts as non-GPL-compatible...

BTW, it looks like you're doing a great job.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2007, 17:49   #9
JamesDoyle
Apprentice

Well, I had started making some notes on how I wanted to organise a User Manual, and then realised that someone had already made a start, so I'm reorganising and rewriting as I go along, so it's mostly from scratch, but partly from Leon Merrick's work.

Some of it is separating out different threads of info; for example, what a new user wants is the flavour and an explanation of what to do, not to be hit with obscure terms like 'ego item' and 'pseudo ID' in the initial sections of the guide, but those things need to be in somewhere for when they encounter them.

Thanks for compliment by the way!

And now, to avoid double-posting, for my next questions...:

Is Stealth modified by DEX and/or INTelligence?
What is the difference or connection between the Fighting attribute and the Fighting/Melee modifiers
Presumably the attribute is by STR and DEX?
Ditto for the Shooting attribute and modifiers DEX modified?
Perception, Searching are these modified by WIS or INTelligence?
Old November 16, 2007, 18:46   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDoyle View Post
Well, I had started making some notes on how I wanted to organise a User Manual, and then realised that someone had already made a start, so I'm reorganising and rewriting as I go along, so it's mostly from scratch, but partly from Leon Merrick's work.

Some of it is separating out different threads of info; for example, what a new user wants is the flavour and an explanation of what to do, not to be hit with obscure terms like 'ego item' and 'pseudo ID' in the initial sections of the guide, but those things need to be in somewhere for when they encounter them.

Thanks for compliment by the way!

And now, to avoid double-posting, for my next questions...:
Is Stealth modified by DEX and/or INTelligence?
No. It's only modified by equipment.

What is the difference or connection between the Fighting attribute and the Fighting/Melee modifiers
Modifiers are just equipment and str/dex bonuses. Fighting (and shooting) attributes are a summary of the actual underlying value, including race & class contribution. Note that fighting bonuses are multiplied by 3 when calculating their effect against opponent AC, which means that !Hero, ?Bless, and !Berserk have a bigger effect than you might guess at first. Also, AC is discounted by 25% when calculating hits and misses.

Presumably the attribute is by STR and DEX?
Yes.

Ditto for the Shooting attribute and modifiers DEX modified?
Yes. Strength helps too.

Perception, Searching are these modified by WIS or INTelligence?
No. Just by equipment.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote