AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 10, 2020, 19:03   #41
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
Something that I think could be interesting if you want to increase throwing, is give rogues the ability to throw potions for effects. I know that lots of roguelikes let you throw potions at monsters to inflict statues on them (i.e. throw a potion of blindness to blind an opponent). I don't know quite how this would work since almost every potion in Angband is beneficial, but it's something to consider.
We could have more attack potions which activate for certain spells (various ball spells, the necro's noxious fumes etc, also the existing sleep/poison/blindness/paralyze potions could be used this way). The difference to wands/rods would be that these don't rely on magic device skill but throwing (so more suitable for warrior types).
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2020, 20:42   #42
DavidMedley
Swordsman

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Less Books is More

I'm going through old_class.txt to see if there's any effects in there I can steal (so I won't have to program them myself). It's a real reminder how much I love the slimmed-down spell lists! Of course, there's a lot of pressure to make each spell valuable in the new format. But that's so much better than just throwing a bunch of spells at the player, conceding that many are not very useful. All the hybrid casters had NINE books!!
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2020, 21:37   #43
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@David-- the big book stack is intentional, so other classes don't get more free inventory slots than warriors. And in any case, some of the books just aren't worth carrying for half-casters (and eventually for full-casters, too.) MB2 and PB1 often get left at home by all classes, and only Mage is likely to carry Raal's, etc.
Nick cut the book count, but it is balanced by losing essentially all buffing and defensive spells, so all classes carry a significant fraction of !rFire, !rCold, !rPois, _Speed, -TO, !Hero, -STM, where previously the were largely covered (and more than covered!) by various spell books.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2020, 22:52   #44
DavidMedley
Swordsman

Yeah, I agree with all that. I remember in the old days you'd look at a book as a half-caster and several spells would be XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Had a lot more reason to leave books at home. But I think the current system is better and will continue to improve with refinement.
Old March 11, 2020, 00:03   #45
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Adan--can't bring back attack potions without getting rid of use-ID. Detonations and Death mean it is impossible past the early levels in old versions of V. I suppose you could make them leave you with 1 HP (min) instead.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2020, 09:47   #46
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@Adan--can't bring back attack potions without getting rid of use-ID. Detonations and Death mean it is impossible past the early levels in old versions of V. I suppose you could make them leave you with 1 HP (min) instead.
Good point, i did not think about this issue. Thanks for pointing it out.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2020, 10:10   #47
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I'm not a big fan of throwing potions. I mean I'd be a little confused why a dwarf is throwing its beer at me, but apart from that I don't think they work that way. Halls of Mist has throwing powders and Sangband has alchemical grenades. I'm not sure either really fit but they are certainly ideas.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2020, 04:44   #48
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
  • Backstab
There's a little check in critical hits "is debuffed" that's checking for held, stunned or confused. Even if you don't add in full on backstab I feel this should be checking sleep & possibly fear.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2020, 13:58   #49
DavidMedley
Swordsman

That's an easy add, should the powers that be approve it. The value of it is +10 to-hit for the crit calc only.
Old March 14, 2020, 00:22   #50
archolewa
Scout

archolewa is on a distinguished road
I was imagining that only Rogues can throw potions offensively, and they have a high device skill, so youd have to make sure the potions do something different from wands.

One option is that you dont add any potions, and when a Rogue throws them, they do the inverse of what they do when you drink them. So CCW does damage and inflicts a bunch of statuses. Obviously the damage would need to be capped, or potions of Life would make Rogues insanely OP.

The idea is that crafty Rogues are able to poison or tweak the potions a bit. After all there is a fine line between medicine and poison.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote