Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old November 23, 2011, 17:35   #1
starstealer
Scout

starstealer is on a distinguished road
Getting Ready for Endgame

I've been playing this character off and on for a few months and I feel he's really getting to the point I might be looking at End-game type of equipment.

I just found a helm of telepathy, but I'm torn since my current helm is my only source that I'm using for RConf - though otherwise I would like to replace it. I do have other items that provide RConf - but then I lose out on other things.

So - in terms of an optimization perspective - should I use the RConf helm as a swap item (like I do with Firestar for Fire immunity), drop the current helm completely or something else?

Also - out of the items in my home - which should I really get rid of at this point? I tend to just hold on to things - but since I'm over-full - I need to start getting the expendables that I'll need (how did I get this far without a single !Healing?)

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10809

Thanks for the help.
starstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2011, 17:51   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
rConf is not essential to the game, though it is handy. Telepathy, though, I would say is essential. Carry Thengel as a swap in case you run into a monster with frequent confusion attacks (e.g. Nightmares), but otherwise you should just chug a Cure Critical Wounds potion.

Things you should be on the lookout for:
* More CON. Ideally, you should get this up to 18/200. CON = hitpoints = survival.
* Resist poison. You have the resistance spell, so if you're religious about detecting monsters you can put this off, but having a permanent source is a good safety net.
* Resist nexus, until your stats are maxed. Otherwise you run the risk of swapping, say, your WIS for your STR, destroying your melee capability. Avoid nexus hounds, nexus vortices, and dracolisks until you get this. Once your stats are mostly maxed (or at least your base WIS and CHA scores are higher) nexus resistance is less useful.
* More speed. +15 is plenty for where you are right now, but +20 permanent is about the minimum you want for endgame (since with +10 from Haste Self you can then match speeds with Morgoth). You hit diminishing returns at +28.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2011, 18:05   #3
starstealer
Scout

I'm kind of curious what happened to rPois... I know I had it one point and just noticed with your post that it was gone.

I'll take your advice on the helm for now. I've had too many times where Conf ended me, though not since carrying the potions that I do these days.

I've been actively looking for stat potions, but they have been fairly infrequent. I agree that more HP is necessary though. Ideally I'll get them all maxed, but for some of them - that's a fair ways off at this point.

Okay - thanks for the advice.
Old November 23, 2011, 20:07   #4
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Once you start diving past dlvl 60, stat potions drop like candy.

Were you wearing Caspanion before? That gives rPois. I'd actually wear that over what you're wearing now -- +3 CON should give you way more HP than what you have now.

Maxing CON is incredibly helpful, in my (admittedly limited) experience.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2011, 20:09   #5
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
How the heck did you find Grimoire before Resistances of Scarabtrices??? lol
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2011, 20:23   #6
starstealer
Scout

I didn't get Grimoire first I don't think - where do you see that? (did you miss that I have resistances?)

Anyway - I found a Ring of Con +4 and didn't need the extra STR that I had - so I switched it out and found the Amulet of Carlammas for another +4 - so my HP are looking much better (738)

Looking again - Caspanion might indeed be a better choice - so I'll look into that. Drops my speed by 3 but that's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

I also found Celegorm? (Mithril Plate - activates for Banishment) - would that be a better choice overall?
Old November 23, 2011, 21:00   #7
starstealer
Scout

Updated with a few levels gained and a couple of armor choices: Rohirrim, Caspanion or Celeborn.