AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old November 4, 2018, 16:45   #141
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
On a character I found 2 speed rings of the same speed, say +5, in my inventory they stacked, when I equipped these rings their history was blank
That is unavoidable, because of how objects work. From the game's point of view, two stacking rings are actually a single ring with item count 2; so it only has room for a single ring's origin, which will almost certainly be completely wrong for the other ring.

So there's only two things the game can do: either wipe the origins, or use the older ring's origin for both items and note that it may not be accurate. (Both of these solutions are actually used by the game; which one's picked depends on the settings. If show_discovery is on the game will try to preserve some kind of origin, even if it isn't trustworthy.)

The third thing it could do would be to not stack items with different origins... but that would drive people mad very quickly.
Old November 4, 2018, 19:37   #142
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Perhaps I misunderstand what you wrote, but max blows depends on str/dex and weapon weight (and maybe character level) (and class)
I've played axemasters, they get max 5 blows when using a shield and max 6 blows when wielding 2-handed, I'm not sure I've ever got 6 blows with a Lochaber axe, but if you have good strength and dex of maybe 18/150 or so (and perhaps need high enough level) then you certainly get 6 blows 2 handed and only 5 blows 1-handed whilst wielding a beaked axe

Max blows may also be effected by 2-handed or 1-handed wielding for other classes, might get more blows wielding a heavy lance with 2 hands

Servants of Khorne get 6 max blows, but for their special weapon, the 50 pound weapon they get at level 40, they don't get 6 blows even if they are level 50 and have str and dex of 18/***
AH! My mistake. I was reading the +1 as current blows, not max.

It does mean getting the +1 so early is rather pointless as I doubt anyone at L10 could even potentially utilize the +1. It would make more sense as a mid or end game bonus.
CyclopsSlayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2018, 02:39   #143
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

Quote:
How about making it so that non-nameless jewellery doesn't stack: it solves the problem and I think doesn't have unpleasant side effects
Alternatively, you could have everything stacking in the inventory as before, but for some things you don't regard the objects as identical, you keep the history of each item in the stack, and this is done for all non-nameless items that can be equipped
Just noticed today when I had two Quivers of the same capacity that there was a message about this in the char sheet, something about miscellaneous info only applying to the top item in a stack.
Old November 5, 2018, 03:15   #144
Bucephalus
Rookie

Bucephalus is on a distinguished road
Yo Sideways. First a personal "thank you" from me for taking a look at stunning, which, if still broken in the next release, will be less hilariously so.

I can't play right now, but I can code dive to my heart's content. I noticed some funny behavior in how the game classifies mutations.

Parentheses are what I would change the values to:

eat_rock_spell avg (good)
alchemy avg (good)
shriek good (avg)
earthquake good (avg)
trunk bad (good)
chaos_deity great (avg)
fat_mut avg (bad)
extra_eyes avg (good)
wings avg (good)
fearless avg (good)
Bucephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2018, 04:40   #145
Sideways
Swordsman

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll implement some of them at least.

Do you feel stunning is universally overpowered (or at least overpowered on something other than golems)? I only rebalanced it on golems, I looked into it on armageddon weapons but felt it wasn't too bad there. I don't think it's as bad on anything else (even breath-realm gold dragons) as it was on golems, but I certainly might have missed something.
Old November 5, 2018, 05:17   #146
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
I'm more inclined to leave the chaos_deity as great. Because depending on deity, you can get big boosts in the early game to make it instant-fun

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2018, 05:25   #147
Bucephalus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Do you feel stunning is universally overpowered (or at least overpowered on something other than golems)? I only rebalanced it on golems, I looked into it on armageddon weapons but felt it wasn't too bad there.
I don't know. I had intended to look into this next, but my primary device gave up the ghost.

What I said about armageddon weapons was a hunch. I overlooked them, honestly, but knowing what I know about golem stunning now (at one blow/rnd), I think any attack with the same mechanics, even one that doesn't deal damage, is suspect.
Old November 5, 2018, 05:28   #148
Bucephalus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
I'm more inclined to leave the chaos_deity as great. Because depending on deity, you can get big boosts in the early game to make it instant-fun
Some of them are contentious. Eat_rock, though? For most characters, that's a free slot!
Old November 5, 2018, 17:04   #149
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
Yeah, I'm leaving chaos_deity as great, though it isn't universally great. I'm also leaving fat_mut as average, it wasn't long ago that I looked at the mutations on a character of bostock's and thought "it's pretty weird the fat mutation's actually good" (though bostock felt it was bad). It depends on the situation and the character's needs, I suppose, whether the fat mut is bad or good.
Old November 5, 2018, 19:07   #150
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

The trunk mutation really doesn't feel all that worthy of being 'good' to me.
True, it is an extra attack, and early on it does decent damage. However, it barely seems to grow in damage and rapidly become insignificant due to its low dice and single blow. A simple unenchanted longsword surpasses it almost immediately.

Not seen it at high level as I've only seen it on beastmen and it is cured usually well before clvl20

Tags
frogcomposband