Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 28, 2013, 02:40   #1
lukaus
Rookie

lukaus is on a distinguished road
What to do with items

I just had my best run since I've been playing Angband. I have played less than 10 games, so most of you will laugh at how pitiful it was. I got CL9 and ended up getting killed, indirectly, by a druid on level 13. I used a Descent scroll, not knowing what it did yet, and ended up lower than I should have been. (Actually, I misremembered that. I think I just went down quicker than my ability allowed for)

Anyways, my question is, what do you do with all the items you pick up along the way? I had to make a lot of trips back up to the town to empty my full inventory several times, often picking up another full load before I descended back where I recalled from. Should I just not be so OCD and pick everything up? Will being able to judge if an item is worthy to grab come in time?

Last edited by lukaus; July 28, 2013 at 02:53.
lukaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 03:48   #2
kaypy
Swordsman

kaypy is on a distinguished road
A lot of stuff is just a waste of space. If you have trouble wanting to sell everything, try turning on no-selling mode. It sounds harsh, but the option also rebalances the gold drops so you wind up with reasonable cash levels without the OCD hauling.
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 03:59   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Definitely agreed with no-selling; in exchange for not being able to get money from selling items, you find more gold in the dungeon, so you end up with about the same amount of cash anyway. And you no longer have to consider an item's potential resale value; the only reason to pick up an item is if you think you'll use it.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 05:12   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Finally cl 9 dl 13 is fully survivable. You do need to know which monsters to avoid at your current power... and you aren't likely to learn this shallower than 800' or deeper.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013, 10:32   #5
quarague
Adept

quarague is on a distinguished road
If you read a Word of Recall while in town, you will move back down to the dungeon level you recalled from, so you don't have to take the stairs back down. As longs as each trip back to town gives items worth more than the cost of 2 WoR scrolls, feel free to do it, it is more a question of whether you as a human player are willing to go through the hassle. You will also notice that later on, money is not that important, almost all the useful items will be found in the dungeon not bought from stores.
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013, 14:32   #6
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
One more thought... in the options screen (press '=') have you got 'pick up everything' on, rather than just 'pick up items that match your inventory'?
(or words to that effect)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013, 17:56   #7
lukaus
Rookie

lukaus is on a distinguished road
Thanks, everyone! All of this helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
One more thought... in the options screen (press '=') have you got 'pick up everything' on, rather than just 'pick up items that match your inventory'?
(or words to that effect)
It is on 'pick up items that match your inventory', but I was manually grabbing everything.
lukaus is offline   Reply With Quote