Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old January 28, 2021, 22:52   #1
GrimaTheBold
Apprentice

GrimaTheBold is on a distinguished road
Frog - How often do greater vaults generate in late game?

My coffee-break Paladin has made it down to DL 86 so far, and no greater vaults. Is that bad (or boring) luck? Or are these rarer than I think?

TBH the game has been kind of boring between ~ DL 70 and DL 86, which is frustrating when you know there are only 6 levels left before the final boss fights. The biggest excitement was the arduous task of taking down Hanuman (not that I ever felt in danger for my life)

While I'm whinging, shouldn't drops from Acquirement be better than they actually are? I'm disappointed in the result 90% of the time. Whether I read them at DL 30 or DL 80, I usually get something not even worth carrying. I used to be so excited to get the ?Acquisition from the Ogre Shaman in Arena, but no longer.
GrimaTheBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2021, 23:26   #2
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Greater vaults are not that rare in Normal mode, but in coffee-break getting zero or one per game is not unusual. The main reason for this is simply that the number of levels generated is so much lower; but since the levels tend not to be huge, that also somewhat reduces the number of greater vaults, since there is less room for them.

If the game starts feeling boring, you can dive to 99 That's probably what instant-coffee was born from: me realizing how often I was skipping levels in normal coffee.

--

Playing coffee changes the ?Acquirement experience somewhat; in normal mode, you might be tempted to dive to a great depth early so you can be extra-disappointed there. Of course, storing the ?Acquirement at home and forgetting you have it is also a valid approach regardless of game speed.

If you want to really appreciate the upside of Acquirement though, play a Yeqrezh thrall and request lottery tickets upon reaching CL 10
Old January 29, 2021, 19:29   #3
GrimaTheBold
Apprentice

[QUOTE=Sideways;150837]Greater vaults are not that rare in Normal mode, but in coffee-break getting zero or one per game is not unusual.

This ties into something I've been thinking for a while, switching from Coffee Break mode to Normal speed, and to finally go back to Wilderness on mode. I like grinding, which I guess makes Coffee-break a poor fit.

Question, can you or anyone point me to any posts or resources laying out an ideal order to tackle which dungeons?

I've only known of this one:

https://pastebin.com/AVsp31k8

Edit: and another question, I'm used to instant pseudo-ID in Coffee-Break, but in my first game at Normal speed, I have to carry the item for a while to get pseudo-ID, and I think its weaker ("Enchanted" rather than "Good", "Excellent", etc). Is this an intentional differences between the two modes, or something I've screwed up in the settings? The only option I see is easy_id, but that looks too powerful.

Last edited by GrimaTheBold; January 29, 2021 at 20:22.
Old January 30, 2021, 02:12   #4
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Question @GrimaTheBold:
How did you find that guide? I'm sure it was Google. But, what keywords led to this?
Old January 30, 2021, 19:27   #5
GrimaTheBold
Apprentice

I found it months ago, I forget the details. I'm pretty sure though I didn't find it by googling, but instead I found a link to it in some other discussion thread.

I've used it constantly the past 6 months for information on quests, though since I've played only Coffee-Break until now, the information on all the other dungeons hasn't been relevant to me.

The author's advice on what character level is needed to tackle quests is pretty optimistic in my opinion, or maybe he's just better at it than I am!

Also its not based on the latest versions, so there are a few differences between what he says and what the game does.

I ended up copy-pasting the entire thing into a Notepad so I can fix formatting, add additional notes, etc.
Old February 3, 2021, 22:53   #6
archolewa
Swordsman

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimaTheBold View Post
This ties into something I've been thinking for a while, switching from Coffee Break mode to Normal speed, and to finally go back to Wilderness on mode. I like grinding, which I guess makes Coffee-break a poor fit.
Or do what I do and turn off wilderness mode at Normal speed.

Sure the game whines at you about how "this isn't the intended way to play" but meh. I play this game for the bajillion variants of warrior, not for the overworld.

And give in to the darkside. Turn on easy_id. It's a wonderful, wonderful setting. The best setting in the history of roguelikes. Once you abandon pseudo-id, you will never go back. Inventory management is so much smoother... Turn on no-selling too, and you can just leave all the crap you don't need on the floor.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote